Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-17-2017, 06:11 PM   #1

Need Opinions/Suggestions/Thoughts/Comments

Let me 1st start by thanking ya'll for every word of wisdom and lesson that I've obtained from this site!

I spent yesterday planning a trip to Yellowstone & Mt. Rushmore from N. TX for summer of "18 (Yes, I know I'm an over achiever to start this early)...round trip is 2,720 miles. This will be the furtherest we've ever gone with the 5er. I'm planning to take 2 weeks to do this trip...I may be able to extend 2/3 more days if we are having a good time. Keep in mind this trip will include the DW, 2 daughters (13 & 10), and dog.

Day 1 (Approx. 431 miles; 7 hours) will take us to the Corral RV Park near Amarillo.

Day 2 (Approx. 419 miles; 6.5 hours will take us to Fort Collins North/Wellington KOA

Day 3 (Approx. 437 miles; 6.5 hours) will take us to Yellowstone Valley Inn.

Unknown how many days we will stay at Yellowstone Valley Inn??

Day 1 from Yellowstone (Approx. 384 miles; 6.5 hours) to Mt. Rushmore KOA at Palmer Gulch Resort.

Again it's unknown how many days we will stay??

Returning home:
Day 1 (Approx. 426 miles; 7 hours) Fort Kearny State Historical Park in Kearney, NE.

Day 2 (Approx. 430 miles; 6.5 hours) Twin Fountains RV Park in Oklahoma City.

Day 3 (Approx. 194 miles; 3.5 hours) HOME!

That's the plan so far. Now this is where ya'll come in. I'm seeking advice, wisdom, tips, etc.. FYI, I've already gotten some great tips just from using the search function here.

TIA!
Old 01-17-2017, 06:20 PM   #2

2 years ago we did a trip from Minnesota to CA and I planned it out much like you did. I figured that I would travel at 60mph and a bit of time for lunch, rest stops and refueling. My time was shot when our 3 YO daughter took an hour to eat lunch and having bad weather most of the way. I was also very happy that I had an extra 5 gallons of diesel fuel for when we couldn't find a petro station. We were loaned a book by some motohomers called "The Next Exit" and it came in very handy finding restaurants and fuel stations along the way.
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:23 PM   #3

Consider the visiting the Badlands in conjunction with the Black Hills. Also, there is a Minute Man control center near the badlands. You will need reservations to visit the control center. There are a couple of campgrounds in Wall that are ok for overnight. You can also experience Wall Drug while staying in Wall.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:46 PM   #4

I highly suggest you use one of the "YellowstoneTours" to see the park. It was some of the best money we ever spent.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I highly suggest you use one of the "YellowstoneTours" to see the park. It was some of the best money we ever spent.
X2 - We used Alpine, got a private van and had the most enjoyable time ever. It wasn't cheap, but we didn't have to worry about driving, parking, or lunch. Our driver knew just where to go and what to see to get the most out of a two day tour.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:09 PM   #6

We're pretty close to you (me DW, 13yo DD and 11yo DS). I second the recommendation for a stop by The Badlands. Only need a day there, but you're too close to pass by unless you're planning another trip to the area in the future.

I also second the recommendation for an emergency fuel stash. I've got a 14 gallon landscaping fuel tank that I carry. Very helpful!! Could I do without? Yes, but it sure reduced the stress level at times.

We spent a week with Badlands, Rushmore & Black Hills area. Plenty to do around the Black Hills for as many days as you want to spend. Make sure to hit the evening lighting ceremony at Rushmore.

Yellowstone - we did 2 weeks for Yellowstone and Tetons. Could have easily spent another week or two there. Yellowstone is huge and a lot of driving involved. We stayed at the different campgrounds inside the park (kinda in different quadrants of the park) to minimize the driving and explored areas in that area. Did I mention it's HUGE? We did a chuckwagon finger that was fun and memorable along with several of the less popular hikes out to some of the geysers.

Leaving Yellowstone, the Cody rodeo was fun, but being from Texas, maybe that's more normal for you.

I can't imagine talking that many days for the drive, but that's just us, I guess. We each get to do this our own way. I plan 55mph average speed over the miles between home and destination and it works out pretty close to the time it takes with routine fuel, rest and good stops.We'll drive 14 hours a day to get there as quick as possible to maximize time at the destination (especially after driving the same route several times).

Hope that it's a great trip for you! Really a very pretty part of the country.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:15 PM   #7

Take a good look at your route once in the area using Google Street view. We've done that same trip from Texas. Some of the roads we visited around Yellowstone but especially around Rushmore were difficult to navigate. Blind turns. Pig tail bridges.

And I know it's heresy but I was underwhelmed at Rushmore. I guess I enjoy nature more than monuments.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:35 PM   #8

Last year I moved from San Antonio to Montana, drove the same route that you are planning, I drove from San Antonio to Cody in two days, they were long days. I,think it is smart to break it up like you are planning.

The route is pleasing, with your setup you will have no issues. Late evening your biggest risk will be wildlife on the roadway.

Yellowstone Village Inn is about 35 miles from the park entrance, then another 35 or more miles to most of the attractions in the park, your greatest chances to see Grizzlies is between canyon village to mammoth hot springs.

In Cody, the Buffalo Bill Center of the West is a spectacular museum with the largest collection of firearms in the world. It is a must if traveling in the area, especially with your LEO background. I took my son there a few months ago and it was awesome! The center is a complex of 5 museums. Someone else already mentioned the Rodeo, happens every night all summer. Also, in front of the Irma Hotel, right on Sheridan Ave they stage a Wild West gunfight Mon-Sat at 6 pm. There is also an area called little old town which houses several buildings from the 1800's that have been restored and placed in a ghost town atmosphere.

I would recommend a week to see Yellowstone and Cody, and that is a minimum.

I'm jealous of your plans and I drive to Cody at least twice a month for my job!

Enjoy!

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:52 AM   #9

X2 on the Cody. In a few months I'll jealous of the SA to a Wyoming move. Today I'll enjoy 60s with some rain here.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
Last year I moved from San Antonio to Montana, drove the same route that you are planning, I drove from San Antonio to Cody in two days, they were long days. I,think it is smart to break it up like you are planning.

The route is pleasing, with your setup you will have no issues. Late evening your biggest risk will be wildlife on the roadway.

Yellowstone Village Inn is about 35 miles from the park entrance, then another 35 or more miles to most of the attractions in the park, your greatest chances to see Grizzlies is between canyon village to mammoth hot springs.

In Cody, the Buffalo Bill Center of the West is a spectacular museum with the largest collection of firearms in the world. It is a must if traveling in the area, especially with your LEO background. I took my son there a few months ago and it was awesome! The center is a complex of 5 museums. Someone else already mentioned the Rodeo, happens every night all summer. Also, in front of the Irma Hotel, right on Sheridan Ave they stage a Wild West gunfight Mon-Sat at 6 pm. There is also an area called little old town which houses several buildings from the 1800's that have been restored and placed in a ghost town atmosphere.

I would recommend a week to see Yellowstone and Cody, and that is a minimum.

I'm jealous of your plans and I drive to Cody at least twice a month for my job!

Enjoy!
I had no idea about the firearms collection...that would be a must see for me! Thanks!

And thank you to all those that have responded thus far!
Old 01-18-2017, 07:17 AM   #11

Sounds like a GREAT trip! I, too, was a little underwhelmed by "The Faces" - especially having to pay $11.00 just to park in their parking lot. But hey, you'll only do it once, and you can cross it off your bucket list (as I did). Be sure you drive the Wildlife Loop through Custer State Park (about 45 minutes south of Mt. Rushmore). They have a ton of free-ranging pronghorn, and the largest herd of free-ranging bison outside of Yellowstone. A very nice way to spend an afternoon.

Since you're going through Nebraska on your return trip, you may want to spend a night (or 2) at "Buffalo" Bill Cody's ranch in North Platte. They have a small campground on site. It only has electric hook-ups, but it's an inexpensive stay while you take the self-guided tour of his house. I spent two nights there a couple years ago, and found it an enjoyable stay . . . but I'm a "Cowboy Nut"!

Enjoy your Trip!
Old 01-18-2017, 08:48 AM   #12

Wow Dan. This sounds like an awesome adventure. We would love to be able to do something like that one day. My suggestion would be to get an auxiliary diesel tank or transfer tank for your truck. We go to west Texas (Ft. Davis) once a year and finding a gas station when you need one can prove to be a challenge when you're low on fuel and an unpopulated area. So, I got a 45 gallon tank, gravity fed so I wouldn't have to worry about fuel. Over the Thanksgiving break, I drove from Houston to Hot Springs Arkansas in a day without needing to stop for fuel.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post

Yellowstone - we did 2 weeks for Yellowstone and Tetons. Could have easily spent another week or two there. Yellowstone is huge and a lot of driving involved. We stayed at the different campgrounds inside the park (kinda in different quadrants of the park) to minimize the driving and explored areas in that area. Did I mention it's HUGE?
X2 ^^^^ This sounds like a great trip. Have fun, it's really beautiful up there!
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:47 AM   #14

I am seeing this so many times lately, 10 lbs of stuff in 5 lb bag. Your travel plan is unrealistic [do the math on your miles per hour]. LIke another said, figuring around 55mph net is about right when factoring in rest stops, lunch breaks, and unexpected intruptions. To accomplish all this in 3 out and 3 back is going to take a lot more than 6 or 7 hours per day.

Years ago while visiting the Grand Canyon we were standing in the south rim Visitors center when a large extended family walked up to the large relief map in the middle of the room. After a few seconds looking over the display, one of the adults looked to the group and said [with hand signals pointing to the rim walkway visible out the front windows] we can walk down that way and that way and we can be out of here in 30 minutes. On their way to the next "bucket list" destination for their crosscountry trip.

Been there and done the working years and kids in school thing and understand much of life is by definition done on a 2 week schedule. One of the great things about retirement is the opportunity to do things without time limitations. In your case, you're detailed early planning is to be complemented. Asking for advice is likewise to be complemented. Suggestions to add destinations to an already overly optimistic schedule should serve as things to consider on the next trip.

My suggestion is to consider the time you should allocate to the great destinations you your planning list. Maybe stick to your 3 out/3back travel days and let that dictate how far you can realisticly travel and still enjoy the time at these destinations rather than just checking things off your bucket list. Kids memories should be standing near a bison or watching the sun set over the Grand canyon or an afternoon fishing on lake Yellowstone, not "when are we going to get there" boredom from the long drives.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:55 AM   #15

Unfortunately, time will be of the essence. I'd like to expose my kids to some of the best experiences our country has to offer that most don't get the chance to have. I can only get about 2 weeks off and maybe stretch another 2 or 3 days. After some reading and ideas here, I think most of our time will be spent in and around Yellowstone, as it has more to offer. I'm not eligible to retire for 7 1/2 more years, then all bets are off!!

Again, everyone's ideas are great. Anyone is welcome to tag along or if in the area stop by for a beer or more! I'm still in the research phase, but I'm committed to the adventure!
Old 01-18-2017, 02:21 PM   #16

I sub'd this thread because I'd like to do a journey like this at some point in the not so distant future, but I have to echo a bit of what Bassdogs says.

I think your travel times are a bit ambitious. For our trip to Colorado earlier this year, I resolved myself to figure about 50 mph average. This gives room to include food, fuel and rest stops. We were traveling from just east of San Antonio, and our goal on day 1 was Amarillo (very similar to your first leg). We left our home at around noon on the day of departure, and arrived in Amarillo at around 11:30 (about 538 miles according to Google).

Some things that "slowed us down" included some traffic, traveling through "small towns" along the way, and we stopped for a little while in Junction, and stopped again for about an hour for dinner (which we ate inside the trailer at a picnic area). Other than that, it was fuel stops only, which ended up being about 10 minutes each; I pumped fuel while DW "used the facilities" (always used our own on-board) and I used them while she finished pumping fuel and checked on the boy.

Our second day was Amarillo to Cheyenne Mountain SP in Colorado Springs. We left Amarillo around 10 am (after breakfast at "The Big Texan" and a short visit to the Cadillac Ranch) My goal was to get there before 5pm, and we got there at about 5:30. I called ahead to the park to determine appropriate late arrival procedures when I figured out we wouldn't make it before the office closed. Luckily our spot was right next to a "host", because there was someone just beginning setup in the spot we had reserved, so we had to chase him out.

You have some advantages we didn't have. Your kiddos are old enough to "self-entertain" whereas our 2YO requires some engagement and needs to get out of the truck now and then to "burn it off". So we designed our driving days to be "back-end" heavy, meaning we dropped the hammer after his 7pm bedtime.

For now, our longer trips are about the "destination" and less about the "spots along the way" because we don't have 2 weeks to dedicate to a long trip. About the most we can pull off is one week, perhaps 8 or 9 days if we work it just right.

Anyway, I like your plan, I would just be a little more pessimistic about how many miles you'll cover on your driving days. So long as you have "late arrival" procedures at the places you plan to stay, you should be fine in my estimation. We just scouted places to overnight. On the way out, it was a nice rest stop/tourist info center in Amarillo; on the way home it was a WM in Sweetwater.

Anyway, I look forward to reading about your trip!

EDIT: I see you're coming out of the Dallas area? That makes your first leg much more manageable than ours was.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Unfortunately, time will be of the essence. I'd like to expose my kids to some of the best experiences our country has to offer that most don't get the chance to have. I can only get about 2 weeks off and maybe stretch another 2 or 3 days. After some reading and ideas here, I think most of our time will be spent in and around Yellowstone, as it has more to offer. I'm not eligible to retire for 7 1/2 more years, then all bets are off!!

Again, everyone's ideas are great. Anyone is welcome to tag along or if in the area stop by for a beer or more! I'm still in the research phase, but I'm committed to the adventure!
We started the 2 week summer trips several years ago, call it the family bucket list. We did a week for Rushmore, Badlands and Black Hills are and knew that anything west of that (we are in the Detroit area) would HAVE to be a 2 week trip to make it worth while. In all the 1 or 2 week vacations we have done, I cannot remember a single place that we felt like we did all of it, maybe Glacier, but that is because most of what we didn't do, required back country camping or ice climbing gear and that isn't really us. Everywhere else, we always felt like we needed more time. That is not to say that we had a bad time, but that most of the places are so big with so much to explore, that you will never see it all. It is just the reality of it. The question to keep in mind, is "did you see enough"? Just like you say, it is a balance between hitting the bucket list and available time off. Anything is better than nothing!

I for one, think we are doing ok. My kids wish for the "cottage up north" lifestyle, but when they talk about different states/parks/historical sights in school, they start to realize that they've seen a lot of things that their friends (and teachers) may never see and they feel cool having been there.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:59 PM   #18

I'll keep an eye on this thread, and always feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I live north of Yellowstone and travel Cody on a regular basis, so feel free to ask questions and I'll see what I can find out for you.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:37 PM   #19

Sorry to revive an old thread and beat a dead horse, but after a family discussion tonight, "WE" (ok the DW) decided to utilize this time next summer for a 2 week trip to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons in June '18. We will nix Mt. Rushmore and save it for another time. Mainly because the DW will still want to take a trip next summer to Top Sail SP later in the summer (probably August). So I'm back to the drawing board with regards to planning...still looking at 400 -m 425 miles/ day, which is doable for me. I'll let y'all know what I come up with and what reservations we make in the next couple of weeks...maybe longer...have to go to the San Francisco area for the next couple of weeks for work.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
I am seeing this so many times lately, 10 lbs of stuff in 5 lb bag. Your travel plan is unrealistic [do the math on your miles per hour]. LIke another said, figuring around 55mph net is about right when factoring in rest stops, lunch breaks, and unexpected intruptions. To accomplish all this in 3 out and 3 back is going to take a lot more than 6 or 7 hours per day.
I have to agree with Bassdogs here... Our trip from SLC to DFW was three LONNNNGGGGG days of driving and we tried to factor in the traffic of every town we passed thru.

We are lucky - if anyone needs to stop to pee (except me) they get to walk back to the bathroom and hold on... We stopped for three things - Fuel, Driver's bathroom and Traffic jams. This year - we are stretching the trip out to 4-days of driving, and maybe an additional stopover day or two to actually see something between Yellowstone and Texas other than pavement.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote