Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-15-2016, 05:43 PM   #1

Never to early

Well finished up camping reservations this week for coming season. Got 28 days reserved, bit less then last year but got room for more in September... Favorite spot is Grand Marais City Park, we'll be there for 9 days during their Art Festival in July. The park as stretches of Lake Superior shoreline and easy walk downtown etc... Also like Temperance River State Park but even trying to get reservations last July for coming July did not pan out, used to be able to reserve one of our favorite spots there fairly easily, but not so anymore...

Larry J
2015 SLX 264BHW
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:36 PM   #2

After 3 years making reservations 10 to 11 months ahead to get site selection, we decided this winter we were going gypsy and just heading SW. Will likely end up touring Texas but we'll just go a day or 2 at a time. Just got bored with our regular CG's and being on a fixed schedule. We left a site we had reserved for a month 5 days early because we were just sitting there stareing at ourselves.

Our trip will be 6 weeks + or - and if we find an area where we want to explore for more than 2 or 3 days we'll lock in for a longer stay. We plan on picking up tourist stuff when we enter a state and look it over after setting up for the night. We'll see how it goes but have a good feeling about the trip. We'll see new places and since we tend to like lesser traveled areas, reservations shouldn't be an issue.

Being retired is a blessing when you are RVing. YOu can come and go on weekdays so you're not fighting Fri/Sat arrivals. We also shelter at home since we live on a large lake and do a lot of houseboating April thru Sept. No reservations when you are houseboating.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
After 3 years making reservations 10 to 11 months ahead to get site selection, we decided this winter we were going gypsy and just heading SW. Will likely end up touring Texas but we'll just go a day or 2 at a time. Just got bored with our regular CG's and being on a fixed schedule. We left a site we had reserved for a month 5 days early because we were just sitting there stareing at ourselves.

Our trip will be 6 weeks + or - and if we find an area where we want to explore for more than 2 or 3 days we'll lock in for a longer stay. We plan on picking up tourist stuff when we enter a state and look it over after setting up for the night. We'll see how it goes but have a good feeling about the trip. We'll see new places and since we tend to like lesser traveled areas, reservations shouldn't be an issue.

Being retired is a blessing when you are RVing. YOu can come and go on weekdays so you're not fighting Fri/Sat arrivals. We also shelter at home since we live on a large lake and do a lot of houseboating April thru Sept. No reservations when you are houseboating.
Let us know what route you plan to take through Texas. It is a big place. Maybe we can help you decide. Lots of great fishing (record breaking bass) and points of interest.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:36 AM   #4

Up here in BC, Canada we can only book provincial park sites 3 months in advance, so i have to wait a couple more weeks before I start booking my trips...
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:11 AM   #5

I've got my May, June, August, and October trips booked. I still need to get something short booked for September.

Wish I had more time off; DW and I both work and the kids are in school. We go as much as we can, but its never enough.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
Let us know what route you plan to take through Texas. It is a big place. Maybe we can help you decide. Lots of great fishing (record breaking bass) and points of interest.
Have done Alaska a couple times so understand BIG, but point well taken. Wife complained on last Ak trip that we spent too much time driving. She's the one who has been wanting to do Texas, so I warned her to be prepared. Only place really on the radar is San A, visited on a business trip several years ago and wife will enjoy the riverwalk etc. Otherwise am open to suggestions. PLan on looking for COE or Nat'l forest CG's and probably hitting a route along the coast at some time in the trip. Not big city folks, we had plenty of that in my working days. Think heading out on the trip from KY we'll target the Olk/Ark corner for a couple days. Then on south.

Really getting pumped, did some more maintance on the White Hawk yesterday and washed the awning and sides of the TT. Took advantage of a sunny day near 60. All my mods are finished and my camping totes are stowed in the storage bin.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:29 AM   #7

We only have one week in May reserved so far but will get her out as much as we can. We have so many options within a few hours drive that we are able to reserve somewhere on short notice. At this point in our live were already mulling over tv and tt options for when we get to get out there full time. Definitely looking forward to it.
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:39 AM   #8

We have most of our summer planned out and reserved already, starting with two weeks in TN over Memorial Day. We'll try to get out for a few weekends before that too, but haven't reserved anything as, depending on snow fall, don't know when we'll be able to get the rig out of the driveway - it was late-April last year.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaling View Post
Up here in BC, Canada we can only book provincial park sites 3 months in advance, so i have to wait a couple more weeks before I start booking my trips...
I thought they changed that this year. Maybe that was the Eastern Provinces.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:39 AM   #10

We've always enjoyed "winging it" and going without reservations, but we've found that as the economy recovers, more people are getting back to camping and "winging it" is getting a lot harder. Parks are filling up earlier.

Broke down and made reservations for Glacier and need to figure out some local ones as well.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:42 AM   #11

We are retired, no longer full-time babysitters, sold our Class B MH, and bought a TT. Last year, mostly in the fall, we towed the TT for several months and about 8,000 miles. The only advance reservation we had for that trip was for 2 weeks Ft.Wilderness.

This year we have applied to be volunteer National Forest Camp Hosts. This will be full-time (5 days per week) in the AZ high country, about 2 hours from our stick&brick house, and our trailer will sit in one place for months.

We love to travel and have done LOTS of that over the years. Sitting in one spot for months with be totally new for us, but we're looking forward to that experience this year.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:16 AM   #12

Have to chuckle - we booked reservations for 2 sites at New Brighton Beach for January 10th-13th. Although California is experiencing El Niño, the weather was great with only a few sprinkles now-and-then with clear to cloudy skies. About 1pm on the 12th the State Park Ranger came around and advised the park was being closed due to an incoming storm that evening with the potential for tree damage (or bluff erosion) - so we packed-up and headed home.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
I thought they changed that this year. Maybe that was the Eastern Provinces.
I wish...the only change was the daily rates went up
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote