Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2015, 06:29 AM   #1

New Experience

Granted were only into our second year of camping, but we've been at several different campgrounds over the past year+, but my experience yesterday was a new one. We were on the road early yesterday, and arrived at our destination at about 11:15, admittedly early. Campground was almost empty, but we were told we could either wait until check-in time at 1:00, or pay a $10 early check in fee. The rationale was that they had to get someone in off the lawnmower to clear the site, yet it was obvious that no one had stayed at it for several days. Has anybody else run into this before?
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:38 AM   #2
Site Team

Many cg's have a no early check in policy and some charge extra. I assume to cover extra usage.

Just remember. it is their business and if you can't get them to budge, just move on.
When we camp somewhere new, we ask about the early in policy at reservation time, if we think it may come up.

Often we have delayed leaving a overnight stay to prevent getting to our next night early because we have asked and found that they have a early check in policy.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:38 AM   #3

Was this a commercial park or a state/federal campground?

I have never had a problem with early check in as long as the site was empty. Sounds like you ran into a ego-driven host/manager that had the power and authority to deny you the ability to check in early and chose to do just that. Or could have been as simple as greed motivation for $10.00.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:47 AM   #4

Thanks! This is a commercial park, and I didn't think to ask about early check in when I made the reservation - something to add to the list. We ended up leaving our previous site much earlier than expected, and the trip was shorter than expected, so a Chinatown of things.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:47 AM   #5

The more a CG has to offer in the way of amenities the more they get you for these early check in's or late check outs. Not all are like this, but I would say it is becoming more the norm unfortunately. I don't think KOA's do it yet, but the Jellystones do from what I have seen online.
1 CG we are staying at in July has this rule and is $5.00 per hour ahead of 2PM. It is clearly stated on there rates page, so at least it's not a surprise to an arriving family. I'll target a 1PM arrival in this case.

I have yet to pull into one before noon that is not a state park as most of the time we are just after lunch.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:06 AM   #6

My opinion is that the campsite should disclose this type of charge to you while you are making the reservation so that there are no surprises. I think that shows excellent customer care.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:42 AM   #7
Site Team

It's just another "nickel & dime" charge to milk campers out of their hard earned cash. It ranks right up there with pet fees (for my cat that never leaves the TT), pay showers and any other charge whose sole purpose is nothing more than to put another "dollar" into the till.

However, I can understand charging a pet fee for dogs if the CG has a dog walking area/park/etc. and supplies those doggie clean-up bags.

While I consider both early arrival and late departure fees as unnecessary charges, there is a logical reason for having them. If campgrounds didn't have and enforce such policies, almost everyone would be arriving/departing outside of the designated time limits. Many campgrounds only have about a three hour window (and sometimes less) in which to prepare all the vacated sites. On Sundays or the Mondays of a holiday weekend, the maintenance crews really have to hustle after the mass exodus to get the campground back "in shape" the next wave of guests.

I once had to have a state park ranger literally evict the occupants of a campsite I had a reservation for. When I arrived they were still in full camping mode and displayed absolutely no signs of breaking camp. I patiently waited for a half-hour and the campfire was still roaring, food being cooked, etc. Rather than confront the occupants (they appeared to me the type that would not be receptive to me telling them they needed to vacate the campsite), I went to the park office with my dilemma and a ranger was immediately dispatched to notify the occupants they to vacate the campsite. I waited about another hour for them to break camp, pack up and leave.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:02 AM   #8

I try not to show up at the park before the designated check-out time at least. More often I try to show up right at check-in time if I'm going to be that early.

I understand the park's need to enforce check-in/out times especially in busier parks. And sometimes it seems like all the extra charges and fees are just to drop a couple more bucks in the pocket. All that being said, I would not be surprised to be denied access to my site if I showed up before designated check-in time. I would just ask to get the paperwork out of the way, and if there was a place out of the way I could park so I could tend to my family until it was time to go to my site.

It happened once that we showed up before check-out and our site was still occupied (TX State Park). The park ranger at the desk said to go ahead, she didn't know if the previous occupants had left yet. Of course, the baby was screaming, and DW was a little road-worn. So I just found a spot out of the way and tended to the baby and took the dog for a little walk. About 1/2 hour later the people in our site left, and we were free to enter.

Yeah, it was a slight inconvenience, but having had to occupy a site right up until check-out time myself, I understand what it's like, so I give as much leeway as I can and do my best to respect the park's rules and regulations even if I know it wouldn't do any harm for them to bend the rules for me "just this once". Of course, I would ask if I could enter early if my site were empty, but I'd be okay with it if they said no, I get it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:14 AM   #9
Site Team

The ones I have experienced that charge a early in fee was a Yogi Bear. I have been in state parks and the campers next to us would not leave on a Sunday at the appointed time. A small scene was created when the cg host told them to leave under no uncertain terms or she would call the police and have them evicted. They broke camp and went into another section of the cg and finished cooking and packing up before leaving several hours later.

These types are what ruin the experience for the majority.

I agree early in fees should be posted somewhere other than a sign in front of the office. A note on their website and in the cg rules for those that read them.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 06-18-2015, 08:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
snip...

These types are what ruin the experience for the majority.

I agree early in fees should be posted somewhere other than a sign in front of the office. A note on their website and in the cg rules for those that read them.
+1

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:34 AM   #11

Our last trip out was at a private campground with an 11am checkout time. We asked if we can check out later and they said "Sure, no problem". It was the end of the weekend and no one else was scheduled to come in.
It was fun lounging around playing with the kids while everyone else was packing up to go.
I think we have done this a few times as we prefer to drive after lunch while the kids nap. Much more convenient for us. I don't recall ever being refused or charged. But I would understand if we were.

Cheers
Old 06-18-2015, 08:38 AM   #12

Most of the time I am early to a campground. Mostly Corp of Engineers parks. Their check in time is usually around 3:00 PM. I might be there as early as 9:00 AM. I do keep track of the reservations on that site and go early only if there is a good chance the site did not have a reservation the nite before. Only once has someone been on my site when I was early. No big deal. I just pull into an out of the way spot and wait my turn.

As far as leaving on time I make sure I am ALWAYS out by the check out time. There may be someone who wants the site on a first come, first served basis. I think it would be very rude on my part if I was preventing them from using the site.

Some of us are courteous and respectful of other campers and then there are the ones norty1 refers to that make it difficult at times for the rest of us.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:41 AM   #13

Many private CGs we have stayed at have an early check-in fee. We often arrive early, and most that have the fee have not charged us. I think we only got charged this fee one time.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:47 AM   #14
Site Team

We always call ahead if we are coming in earlier than the stated check in. Never been refused or charged. Fl., SC and Ga sp's will allow it if the site is vacated and checked by a staff. They usually rake and check it between campers. Some don't.

Same with leaving. If we need to delay leaving for a while, a quick call to the office or host and it is always cleared or at least communicated. Never been refused unless the site was reserved.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 06-18-2015, 02:09 PM   #15

We've never had to pay for an early check-in, but we always stay in provincial parks. Only once were we a little too early and the previous campers were still there. No big deal; we just drove to the nearest town and filled up with gas, which was something we had planned on doing anyway. When we got back, the campsite was vacant.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:24 PM   #16

If I need to check in early, I just go into the registration office naked and they oblige. Try it..it works. You may not be able to come back, but it works...once.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:32 PM   #17

If you search for campgrounds on AllStays or campgroundreviews.com, what you experienced is a good thing to put in the notes when making a review. May help someone else down the road.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Many cg's have a no early check in policy and some charge extra. I assume to cover extra usage.
It's no different than hotel/motel early check-ins. Some will forgo the fee others will charge it.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:30 PM   #19

If they already told you what time you could check in, why would they have to post early check in fees at any place other than their office? I'm sure if you called and asked about being early, they would give you the info about the fees.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:19 PM   #20

Preparing sites for occupancy takes time. Typically a routine is set to minimize time at each site. If a worker has to move from their rounds to prepare a site for a waiting guest, then yes it does cost time and money. Just cutting grass with tables, fire rings, pedestals, sewer connections take considerable time, even when done in a logical order. When that order is interrupted it does cost money. Typically you have 4 or 5 hours a day to do all the maintenance any interruptions causes issues. Late checkout or early arrivals do cost money. With 60 to 100 sites (200 site campground) flipping daily it is a monumental task, add weather into the mix and you have an almost impossible task. I fully understand and endorse fees to cover the added costs.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote