Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #1

Niagara Falls

We are looking to go to Niagara Falls this spring, does anyone have any suggestions for camp grounds? Would maybe like to stay on Canada side for a change, but willing to stay on USA side if its a clean and roomy CG. Thanks John.
WELLCRAFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #2

Not sure about Niagara Falls exactly, but years ago camped all along the St. Lawrence River. There are many state parks on the NY side. We camped only in the state parks and found the all to be very nice. Visit a New York State Park website and check them out.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #3

Hi John, ... highly recommend Four Mile Creek SP. We were there last year. The sites were big, level, spaced well, and the whole grounds (including the restrooms) were clean and in good repair. Here is a link to campsite photos: http://www.campsitephotos.com/campgr...Mile-Creek-042. The lake front sites go quickly, but the others are also very nice. Reservations can be made 9 months in advance, so if your dates are firm the sooner the better.

The windshield pass you get when you register will also give you access to the falls area because it is also a SP - free parking as often as you like. The falls area is about 15 miles away, but we didn't mind that. The area between the falls and Four Mile Creek SP is remote and there is very little traffic on Robert Moses State Parkway (about 20 minutes). We have some other places to see first, but we plan a return trip and we will stay there again.

We also recommend the Discovery Pass. The two of us thought it was a bargain, but it gets expensive for a bigger family. The in-the-park shuttle is $1 a day, runs frequently, and will get you anywhere you need to go. The NYSP windshield pass will also get you into Fort Niagara free. They have a great pool there. We went into Canada twice, and recommend that also. Watch the times you cross the border because the back-up at customs can really get long.

We don't recommend going over the falls in a barrel. We had a great time - hope you do too.

If you use the link, we had site 232. It was great being right on Lake Ontario.

We thought parking on Goat Island was the easiest to get to and the best starting point for most of the attractions.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #4

Niagara Falls canada is our favorite vacatian spot. So much to see and do. The bike trail along niagara river is a must for us. I haven't made it a camping destination because we prefer provincial parks(roomy) and there doesn't seem to be any nearby. There is Rockport (40 minutes away) but prefer to be closer to niagara falls. It looks like there are a lot of state parks on the u.s. side but I hate the customs hassel. Maybe someone could recommend a private park over here with your wishes in mind.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #5

We live in Niagara Falls, Canada and we always go to Four Mile Creek State Park when we want to get away for a weekend. It is a great park, right on Lake Ontario. The parks on the Canadian side are not very good in my opinion. Try to get a site in the 200 loop, it is the most spacious, although some of the sites are on a slope. A little know fact, Four Mile Creek State Park is on Google Street View, so you can check out the sites very easily. Once you stay there, your pass will allow you to park at the state park lots by the water falls. Use the Rainbow bridge to cross over to Canada. In my opinion, the views of the falls are much better from the Canadian side. If you have any questions about a site there, I know them fairly well and you can shoot me a PM or post it on this thread.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
If you have any questions about a site there, I know them fairly well and you can shoot me a PM or post it on this thread.
Do you have to have a passport to go into Canada? I know you used to be able to without but I am not sure now.
Added Bedroom light switch and outlet https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=7582
dlfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfeather View Post
Do you have to have a passport to go into Canada? I know you used to be able to without but I am not sure now.
I heard (don't really know) you can cross with just a drivers license, but it's much easier with a passport.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #8

Niagara Falls

You need a passport to get back into the USA. Even if you are an American citizen.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #9

No passport yet, just went to post office the other day and picked up paper work. even if we stay on US side I would like to take the kids into Canada. We are still debating on Niagara Falls or back up to Association Island in NewYork. went there a few years back and the kids liked it. But I would like somewhere Different.
WELLCRAFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #10

If you do decide on niagara falls wellcraft check out "the maid of the mist". It's a ferry ride that goes right under the falls. They supply the rain coats and its a real hoot.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #11

There are a number of good attractions in Niagara Falls. On the Canadian side, take the "Journey Behind the Falls" which is basically a tunnel behind the Canadian (horse shoe) falls. Also, the Maid of the Mist boat ride is pretty cool (and wet). The Aero car (I think they renamed it now) is a cable car that goes over the whirlpool. The Skylon tower, you take a yellow "bug" elevator up to the top and get a great view of Niagara Falls and surrounding area. Friday and Sunday nights they do fireworks at Niagara Falls at 10pm.

Niagara on the Lake is also a nice little town to walk through. A lot of wineries around Niagara on the Lake with tours available.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #12

Four Mile is nice. There is also a new campground that opened up on Grand Island, NY. It is called Branches of Niagara. http://www.branchesofniagara.com/ It is about 10 minutes from the Falls.

Other attractions to check out... Maid of the Mist (of course!), Whirlpool Jet Boats, Hiking in the Niagara Gorge, Artpark in Lewiston, Fort Niagara (US), Fort George (Canada), Niagara on the Lake, and about two hours away... Letchworth. Have Fun!
GIFCo147 is offline   Reply With Quote