Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-18-2016, 08:14 PM   #1

North Georgia State Parks

Looking for new new camping locations in North Georgia something that will accommodate a 42 camper any input is greatly appreciated!We visited FDR last Nov. that was a very nice place. Thanks
Old 09-18-2016, 09:06 PM   #2

Try RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:57 PM   #3

Fort Mountain State Park is pretty good for that length. So is Cloudland Canyon as long as you go "up and over" through Chattanooga to get there. Moccasin Creek, Unicoi are also favorites. Vogel is nice but the campsites are older, and pretty much on top of each other.

Avoid:
Amacalola State park (road too steep)
And my favorite park in Georgia Black Rock Mountain - its a great park but the road is long, very steep and very narrow.
Also I avoid Tallulah Gorge State Park - the campground is run by Georgia Power and it's badly maintained and the staff is RUDE.

On private parks we've enjoyed:
Enota Retreat Campground near Helen although the reviews are mixed and the sites are pretty close together.
We also have enjoyed TrackRock Campground.

Don't know how you define "north" Georgia - the above sites are in the mountains. If north to you is above Macon then consider Hard Labor Creek, High Falls, Indian Springs, Victoria Bryant (there just last weekend).

FDR is one of my favorite parks, by the way. Not because the Campground is so great, but for all the really cool stuff to do within a few minutes drive: Little White House, town of Warm Springs, Warm Springs Hospital, Callaway Gardens (rent bikes!) with it's butterfly house, beach, golf, etc. and The Game Ranch where you drive your car through all kinds of wild animals.

I've camped in pretty much every state park in the northern half of the state and most in the southern part - as well as S.C., N.C., Tenn and Alabama. My reviews are all over campgroundreviews.com or PM me with any specific questions.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:16 AM   #4
Site Team

We just left FDR park. It was very nice but hard to get to from our location. If I went back it would be in the loop 5 section.

We like Cloudland Canyon, Sloppy Floyd SP's. Most of our N. Georgia travel is in the Hiawassee, Ga private cgs. We are headed to Riverbend RV park in a few weeks. Last year we stayed at Long Ridge. Another we like is Georgia Mountain Fairground CG.

Also some great COE parks in the area.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:56 AM   #5

Norty1, Thanks for the tips on Riverbend and Long Ridge. I looked them both up and may have to give them a try. Normally we don't go for "civilized" campgrounds like Riverbend but this one does look nice.

Drove through Sloppy Floyd one time and wasn't that impressed. Seemed like fishing was about all there was and not much in the neighborhood. What do you like about that park?
Had a similar reaction to the new Chattahoochee Bend SP - it's new and clean but not much to do there and the campground was on a bulldozer cleared hill with little 5ft recently planted trees.
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Old 09-19-2016, 08:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
Fort Mountain State Park is pretty good for that length. So is Cloudland Canyon as long as you go "up and over" through Chattanooga to get there. Moccasin Creek, Unicoi are also favorites. Vogel is nice but the campsites are older, and pretty much on top of each other.

Avoid:
Amacalola State park (road too steep)
And my favorite park in Georgia Black Rock Mountain - its a great park but the road is long, very steep and very narrow.
Also I avoid Tallulah Gorge State Park - the campground is run by Georgia Power and it's badly maintained and the staff is RUDE.

On private parks we've enjoyed:
Enota Retreat Campground near Helen although the reviews are mixed and the sites are pretty close together.
We also have enjoyed TrackRock Campground.

Don't know how you define "north" Georgia - the above sites are in the mountains. If north to you is above Macon then consider Hard Labor Creek, High Falls, Indian Springs, Victoria Bryant (there just last weekend).

FDR is one of my favorite parks, by the way. Not because the Campground is so great, but for all the really cool stuff to do within a few minutes drive: Little White House, town of Warm Springs, Warm Springs Hospital, Callaway Gardens (rent bikes!) with it's butterfly house, beach, golf, etc. and The Game Ranch where you drive your car through all kinds of wild animals.

I've camped in pretty much every state park in the northern half of the state and most in the southern part - as well as S.C., N.C., Tenn and Alabama. My reviews are all over campgroundreviews.com or PM me with any specific questions.
When was the last time you were at Tallulah Gorge? We were there in April and found no issues with maint. and polite park Rangers behind the desk. Only problem was finding a fairly level spot. It was our first camping trip in the class C and my first time having to level with blocks. In my self converted van if it was level enough to sleep we were good.
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:09 PM   #7

We were there in March of last year. I just read a review on RV Park Reviews that says that Georgia State Parks have taken over control of the Campground from Georgia Power - so perhaps it's better now. There was (perhaps they are gone now) a couple that ran the campground for Georgia Power at Tallulah - they had negative reviews all over the the internet - from Google to Yelp to RV Park Reviews.

When we want to go to that area we like to stay at Rabun Beach Campground. It's one of the very few National Forest Service Campgrounds in Georgia with hookups. It's a HUGE campground and only part has hookups but it's all very remote, well spaced sites and almost NOBODY knows it's there - or at least they don't realize it has hookups. Just one thing - DO NOT go in by Terrora Road and Lake Rabun Road - which is how most GPS will take you. It's narrow and very twisty with rock walls right beside the road. Instead go to Hwy 76 and take Charlie Mt. Road down to Lake Seed Road, down to Lake Rabun Road. Then enter the campground at the second entrance coming from the west. The sites with hookups are at the east entrance. Just don't miss the entrance - there is no place to turn around before you're on that twisty road :-).
I'm making it sound horrible - it's not really that bad if you come in the right way and pay attention.

Nice think about Rabun Beech Campground is you can decide you want to go camping on a Friday during leaf season, and just drive in and get a great site.
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Old 10-06-2016, 01:05 PM   #8

Not sure of length restrictions but Rabun County has three state parks and a great private cg called River View. Also endorse River Bend in Hiawassee and also stayed at Bald Mountain Camping Resort in Hiwassee two weeks ago, very nice. Anybody been to The Great Outdoors in Franklin Tn? Going for a week soon, looks nice and has great rating. I'll be glad to review latter.
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothernaturesson View Post
Anybody been to The Great Outdoors in Franklin Tn? Going for a week soon, looks nice and has great rating. I'll be glad to review latter.
I thought The Great Outdoors was in Franklin, NC, or are you talking about a different place? If it is the NC one, I would love a review. Thinking about going there for the eclipse next year.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:44 PM   #10

We stayed in Unicoi over a long weekend and it was nice. Its not run by the state, but a 3rd party. I believe Amicalola has the same management. A number of activities for kids to sign up for that cost extra.
mini4mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsday75 View Post
I thought The Great Outdoors was in Franklin, NC, or are you talking about a different place? If it is the NC one, I would love a review. Thinking about going there for the eclipse next year.
My bad, Franklin NC is correct, me fingers have a mind all their own! Will let you know.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:48 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahM Send a message via MSN to JeremiahM
The COE parks on Lanier are nice as well

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2017, 09:33 AM   #13

We stayed at Cloudland Canyon last weekend and it's our new favorite state park. Not a lot around there, but plenty of hiking and mtn. biking trails and a very good general store a few miles up the road.

Electricity and water were good, our site was very level. We definitely prefer the West Rim campground over the East Rim. There were some fairly large rigs there.

I wish you could reserve particular sites instead of first come first serve.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:25 AM   #14
Site Team

That's why we like to come in on Sunday afternoon or even Monday. More selection in parks with non site specific reservations.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
We stayed at Cloudland Canyon last weekend and it's our new favorite state park. Not a lot around there, but plenty of hiking and mtn. biking trails and a very good general store a few miles up the road.

Electricity and water were good, our site was very level. We definitely prefer the West Rim campground over the East Rim. There were some fairly large rigs there.

I wish you could reserve particular sites instead of first come first serve.
Love the Canyon and Lookout Mountain, have you ever gone over to Lula Lake? It's a privately owned trust and only open to the public about four days a month but has some impressive scenery and hiking.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothernaturesson View Post
Love the Canyon and Lookout Mountain, have you ever gone over to Lula Lake? It's a privately owned trust and only open to the public about four days a month but has some impressive scenery and hiking.
No we haven't been there yet, we'll have to check it out - thanks.

I'm learning a lot from this thread, we usually camp in East TN / West NC, but we are starting to explore the mountain areas of GA now. We went to the Blue Ridge for the first time a few years ago (not camping). I just learned about Black Rock Mountain today in this thread and it's now on our "to go" list.

Since our TT is small we get to enjoy all the state parks that some of the larger rigs can't access.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:00 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahM Send a message via MSN to JeremiahM
You camp in the GSMNP? we love those campgrounds

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2017, 05:16 PM   #18

We always visit CLOUDLAND CANYON State Park but the access road off of I59 at TRENTON GA has a a couple of sharp turn LOOPBACKs on it that might be too much for your 42 footer...

This is up on LOOKOUT MTN and there is a main road on the top but I really don't know if there is another way to get on it that doesn't have the loop back turns or not...

CLOUDLAND CANYON is a great site... We too like the West RIM the best. There the sites all have a patio fence around them - neat sitting on the rail and watching the squirrels...

Roy's image

Also just down the road from the on I59 is another very similar site called DESOTO STATE PARK at the FORT PAYNE ALA exit... It too is an excellent site... This one was just retrofitted a few years back for large trailers. The road I take getting there is not good for the long trailers so that would have to also be investigated for a different route to the top main road on LOOKOUT MTN...

We love off-road camping in the high country of ALA-GA-NC-SC-TN...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:37 PM   #19

Cloudland is beautiful! We also love Desoto State Park near Ft. Payne, AL. It is "campy" and has excellent access to Little River Canyon and Chattanooga. We are going in June!
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:45 AM   #20

We camp in GSNP a lot, but only once in our new TT and that was our very first trip over this past New Year's holiday when we stayed at the KOA in Townsend. Our next trip up there is this July when we're staying at Greenbrier Campground.

We enjoy heavily wooded CG's. I'd compare Cloudland to Fall Creek Falls and Big South Fork in TN. We love having some space between sites too.

Sounds like Desoto State Park just made the list for us as well.

Cloudland last weekend -