Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #1

Our 2013 Savannah trip

Over Christmas, Sharon & I took a trip to Savannah, Ga. Neither of us had visited Savannah before and this trip proved to be an excellent 4 day / 3 night trip for us. It's a 5 hour drive for us that took 7 hours to arrive due to the heavy southbound I-95 traffic from I-95 & I-26 exchange to Savannah Exit at HWY 17. Regardless of the delay it was well worth it!

We stayed at Skidaway SP just about 15 mins southeast of Savannah. Skidaway is an excellent SP with roomy, level campsites and a beautiful canopy of moss drapped trees. This SP has some sites that are full hookup, our site had E/W/C. The bath houses were nice. The only issue I have is the nonsite specific reservation system. I didn't like it in Va and Ga hasn't changed my mind.

Savannah is a beautiful and charming city with lots of culture and history. FWIW, Chippawa Square in Savannah is the film site of the famous bench scene in Forrest Gump. While in the area, we visited Fort McAllister and Tybee Island. We had dinner at North Beach Bar & Grill on Tybee Island. This off the beaten path hole in the wall is my kind of place. The kind of place with FROSTY beverages,laid back atmosphere, excellent food and accomodating service. Fort McAllister has a campground as well. We visited the campground while at the SP. We saw several sites we'd like to stay in should we head that way again. Below are some pictures to document the trip. If you click on the pictures to view it as a slide show you can see the pic description.

Happy New Year to The JOF family!
Attached Thumbnails
Skidaway SP.jpg   Skidaway Entrance.jpg   Savannah Waterfront Shops.jpg   City Market.jpg   Us @ Chippawa Square.jpg  

Cotton Exchange.jpg   McAllister @ Ogeechee River (1).jpg   McAllister SP.jpg   Our Rig.jpg   North Beach Bar & Grill @ Beach.jpg  

Old 01-08-2014, 06:35 PM   #2

Those are some nice pictures. We love the Ga. State parks. Peggy and I have been to Fort McAllister State park a few times. Nice area to ride our bicycles.
I hope you got to visit Ft. pulaski, there is a lot of history at the fort. and it is amazing the way they constructed it. glad you had a good time. Happy New year.
US Army
VN.71-72
RickAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
Site Team

Looks like my kinda place!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:14 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I agree, very nice pics....., I have yet to visit or camp in the Savannah area.

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #5

Thanks folks!! My wife is excellent behind and in front of camera!! I'm a lucky man!!

Rick, we did not get to see Fort Pulaski but that's a definite on our next visit. To many want to dos & not enough time. It seems most of the time when visit somewhere we are like the Tazmanian Devil trying to get to see as much as possible!
Old 01-09-2014, 09:31 PM   #6

We were in Savannah twice, 2010 & last May. Both times at the Savannah South KOA. We took the Oglethorpe Tour the first time and walked the entire area again. In May we walked it again and toured Fort Pulaski as well. Met some people in the KOA that live within 15 miles of us. The weather was hot and sunny. We will probably return in the future.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:54 AM   #7

We stayed at Skidaway SP in November on our way south. The sites are laid out better than any other CG I'm familiar with, but they're expensive. It was $48 a night with the senior discount, regular rate is $60. It's an excellent CG / Park by any measure but we couldn't afford that rate for very long.

By chance, we were at Fort Pulaski when they fired the cannons. I don't know how often they do that, but would recommend you plan your visit there to see that. It added a memory to the trip. Savannah is great, something there for everyone - don't pass it by. Tybee Beach was just OK. It's another nice beach in an area where there are plenty, but the access could have been easier.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:14 AM   #8

OTG, you must have been in one of the large FHU sites. We were in Area 3 with E/W/C. Our rate was $30-ish w/o any discounts.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:48 AM   #9

Nice pics
Savannah is on our short list of places to go
Thanks

Tom
2015 Eagle 324BHTS
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 DirtyMax
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote