Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #1

Our CG charged us more tax when we arrived

We stayed at the River Edge RV Park in Pigeon Forge this week and after we arrived, they hunted me down and said the tax rate had gone up since I booked reservation in November and needed an extra $11.26! Is this unethical? I thought so and believed I should of been "grandfathered" into the old tax rate. I've never had this happen before and just wanted to get everyone else's thoughts. Also, we had paid completely in full when making reservation in November.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #2

If you paid in full under the old tax rate I believe you should not have been charged the extra tax. I recently called and extended my 4th of July week at my CG. I made the orginal reservation in December so I received the 2012 rate. I paid in full at that time. Just last week I called an extended my stay an additional 3 nights. they charged me 2013 rates for those 3 nights. Anyways, in your case, I feel that the tax rate at the time you paid for the site should be what you pay. Just my 2 cents.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #3

If you prepaid for your site then you are NOT required to pay an additional tax . The campground is required by the State to pay taxes in the month collected. If the campground attempts to collect tell them you will contact the State Treasury Department and file a complaint. I imagine the State would be interested in why they didn't receive their money in the month it was billed & paid for.

Happy trails,
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:08 AM   #4

Bill is correct.

I would have refused to pay it. Then when the manager tells me I will have to leave or he will call the police I would have told him to go right ahead. Let's see if the law will support your illegal fleecing.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:55 AM   #5

So sad that the additional tax is $11.26. Unfortunate that we have confusing and intentionaly cumbersome tax code that few people fully understand, the manager probably hated collecting it as much as you hated paying it and she was just worried some irs collector would be crawling around the CG with a tape measure if she didn't collect every bit 'o tax possible. I know that motel reservations work differently and the credit card just holds the room for your night of reservation and you are not actually charged until you actually get there and stay in your room. This is probably the way the CG should have done it and then you would have been charged the increased tax anyway. I dislike all taxes, sales, property, income, estate, death, pro-rated, social security, medicare, state, federal etc etc etc . Dont let it ruin your stay, take the manager a cup of coffee, sit down and talk for a few minutes and I bet you will find you have a lot in common, you probably BOTH dislake paying taxes...
w/ active anti-sway
JAMMFAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:05 AM   #6

Sad public relations news from one of our favorite camping spots... Have been going to RiverEdge in Pigeon Forge for many years back...

They have always been the best folks to stay with... I cannot think of any bad stay there over the past ten years or so...

We have camped there in our OFF-ROAD POPUP and stayed many times in the Log Cabins... Even on very short notices... We have stayed there both in the summer times and the winter times. We have also had a few mini-family get-to-gethers there as well...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:13 AM   #7

If you paid in full under the old rate. the CG operator just put free cash in his pocket. I would complete the stay without incident and inform the CG owner as I was leaving that he would be getting a call from the State Comptroller investigator.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #8
Site Team

If the date on your paid in full receipt is before the tax increase became effective, you don't owe them a thing. However, if the date on your paid in full receipt was after the tax increase, it's their mistake and they should "eat it" as the transaction was already closed and both seller and buyer were in agreement that the charges were correct. If this was the case, the campground must be really hard-up to even approach the customer on a matter such as this. That's simply bad business and creates a lot of bad press on forums such as this.

If you already paid this additional tax using a credit card and you are absolutely certain you don't owe it, "play the game" and let the campground think they got away with it and if you pay the additional tax separately, use the same credit card that you used for the rest of the bill. Then after you're out of there, contact your credit card holder and dispute the overcharge for the additional tax. I'll bet any money the campground will credit your account because their time and grief fighting with the credit card prople will cost them more money than simply refunding your tax.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #9

I paid in full by credit card in November and paid the additional $11.26 in cash. I was simply taken off guard and did ask questions, but was simply tired from our drive and wanted to get on with our vacation. We enjoyed our visit very much and did think highly of the CG otherwise. I didn't tell my hubby, and maybe I should of but didn't want to make a scene of the whole thing. I'm just ticked at myself for not refusing to pay.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #10

CruzinKim Simply call the state tax dept & if the cg was wrong get it in writing, send to the cg requesting a credit. if the cg was correct go merrily on your way $11.26 lighter. Larry
Old 04-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #11

ps did the credit card charge go through in November. Larry
Old 04-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #12

Every state is different with respect to sales tax. In CA tax is due when the service is delivered, title to goods/product is transferred, or when a final invoice is issued. I deal with this all the time for work. I sell very expensive capital equipment that generally take 6-12 months of construction to complete installation. Recently there have been lots of projects that span tax changes and effect the final contract price.

Someone mentioned hotels, same is true. I personally have book trips (prepaid) and there was a tax change in the destination location that I was notified of and charged for during they stay.

Some people have mentioned the CG should have eaten the charge. Why I ask? It wasnt there mistake, the law changed. In my business we certainly won't eat a tax change.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19H F250 View Post
ps did the credit card charge go through in November. Larry
Yes, credit charge went through in November and has been since paid. We pay it off every month. Charges were correct as discussed and on invoice emailed to me. I had to book so far in advance since Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge is such a popular destination, especially during Spring Break and summer. There is always something going on there. We stayed 5 nights and I did not feel like changing spots, as we had a very nice one because we booked early. We chose this CG because, one, it was recommended by a friend and two, it had a heated outdoor pool! My 7 yo daughter took advantage at least once, sometimes twice per day. It really is a nice CG and felt we had plenty of space (and privacy) between campers. The shower house was the nicest we've ever seen and were cleaned regularly. All sites are full-hookup, but we generally used shower house. They had shower nozzles that also sprayed your back. All my hubby could talk about! Our neighbors were all very nice and I would stay here again.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like a great trip and CG.
We'll have to check it out 1st opportunity.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #15

You may want to contact the BBB and let them send a letter to the CG. Also, if you use campgroundreviews.com you may want to explain your episode there.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19H F250 View Post
CruzinKim Simply call the state tax dept & if the cg was wrong get it in writing, send to the cg requesting a credit. if the cg was correct go merrily on your way $11.26 lighter. Larry
2X

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
You may want to contact the BBB and let them send a letter to the CG. Also, if you use campgroundreviews.com you may want to explain your episode there.
I would agree with this approach if after checking with that state's taxing authority, the campground was actually wrong in collecting it and then if they refused to refund the amount. t's very possible the CG operator really thought he was in compliance with the law. If this is the case and they make it right, there's no reason to give them a bad review or undeserved publicity
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
I would agree with this approach if after checking with that state's taxing authority, the campground was actually wrong in collecting it and then if they refused to refund the amount. t's very possible the CG operator really thought he was in compliance with the law. If this is the case and they make it right, there's no reason to give them a bad review or undeserved publicity
You are right about this. Especially since, it seems, the OP didn't really complain to the CG owners when the extra $ was asked for.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
You are right about this. Especially since, it seems, the OP didn't really complain to the CG owners when the extra $ was asked for.
I did complain when she asked for the extra money. I asked several questions as to why when I paid in full months before and my rate should of been "grandfathered in." She said it was beyond her control and that she hated asking me for it. I was tired from driving and just wanted to get TT set up and get dinner started. I paid the extra in cash and didn't ask for a receipt, so basically it is her word against mine at this point. I'm chalking it up to "lesson learned" and I will know better next time, if there should be a next time. I know I wouldn't write a bad review b/c this really was an outstanding RV park and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I'll just consider this a Public Service Announcement! Lol!
Old 04-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #20

I would just email the owner and let them know you think there was a mistake in them charging you the extra tax since you paid for it last year. I'm pretty sure there was nothing done intentionally to rip you off. I just have a feeling it has something to do with the fact how they might have to claim income they made on the actual time you were there. The actual culprit in this is probably our friendly tax collector.
Locky66 is offline   Reply With Quote