Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-20-2014, 09:20 PM   #1

Outer Banks, NC

I would like to plan a trip to the outer banks with my family. Our kids are 10 and 7. I dont want to go all the way to the end of the banks because of the drive. We are in NY and this would be our first "far away". I would love to be close to the beach. My kids havent really been exposed to a real beach. Any suggestions of what towns to look in? Or to stay away from? all suggestions are appreciated
2017 Jayco Jayflight 28bhbe Elite and thermal package
2014 Jayco White Hawk 28dsbh(traded in)
mesuezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:35 PM   #2
Site Team

Well I would recommend visiting the Wright Brothers memorial in Kitty Hawk. Jockeys ridge near Nags Head has the largest natural sand dune on the east coast, that`s kinda neat. Light house at Cape Hatteras. Have not camped there since I was kid so cannot recommend any campgrounds.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:44 PM   #3

The entire OBX is phenomenal! Lighthouses, unspoiled beaches, fishing, serenity, etc. abound. I assume you're camping? Have you picked a campground yet?
Old 01-21-2014, 01:17 AM   #4

​Where are "the outer banks"?

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:55 AM   #5
Site Team

Off the coast of NC.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:27 AM   #6

I recommend Camp Hatteras on the ocean side. We were just there in August and the entire family had a great great time. There is an ice cream shop (and fudge) right next door within walking distance and we hit it every night we were there. I also visited the Wright monument on the way back home. They have parking for RVs.

We are also from NY (Buffalo). While driving, skip the DC Beltway. I think we took the 64 into Richmond to bypass that mess. Also, if at all possible, try to hit Newport News and Norfolk at off hours. We hit it at rush hour on a Friday and it wasn't pretty. There are a few tunnels in that area to make it a bit more interesting.

No doubt about it, it was a long drive.
LkptRvPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:06 AM   #7
Site Team

Could also come down the shore through Jersey/Delaware/Md/Va for an adventure. Stop at Kiptopeke SP on the tail end of the eastern shore then take the Chesapeake bay bridge tunnel south to the Outer Banks.

LadyW- The Outer Banks are a thin strip of barrier islands that separate the Atlantic Ocean from the bayside sounds of NC. The lower portion called Ocracoke island is only accessible by ferry. Its quite a considerable drive from one end to the other, I went as far north as possible (without 4 wheel drive beach vehicle) and south to Ocracoke. There is also a ferry that goes to the mainland on the southern end, that` s over a 2 hr trip IIRC.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:26 AM   #8

NC Outer Banks OBX) is a wonderful trip and Camp Hatteras at Rodanthe is an excellent campground. It's has a good proximity to Nags Head, Jockey's Ridge, Hatteras Lighthouse, and Ocracoke. We camped in one of the premium sites on the ocean side of the campground. A benefit to Camp Hatteras that we thoroughly enjoyed was going over to the sound side of the campground to view the sunsets. If you decide to visit the OBX and time permits, I highly recommend a visit to Ocracoke. It's a short ferry ride and the village there is very nice. Howard's Pub at Ocracoke is highly recommended as well.

Best of luck to you!
Old 01-21-2014, 06:45 PM   #9

thanks for all the info! I will have to research more!
2017 Jayco Jayflight 28bhbe Elite and thermal package
2014 Jayco White Hawk 28dsbh(traded in)
mesuezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #10

There are some nice camp grounds in the Walves - Salvo area of OBX. I think one is a KOA with pool, store and game room for the kids. It is one the ocean side of route 12.
paflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesuezee View Post
thanks for all the info! I will have to research more!
Just curious as to how your plans have evolved? We're gonna be at Camp Hatteras in 78 days, but who's counting?
Old 02-02-2014, 04:34 PM   #12

Camp Hatteras at Rodanthe (it is south a good ways) is nice and popular and you are within easy drives to many attractions (already mentioned here). Can get sites very close to the ocean as well
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:26 PM   #13

Camp Hatteras is great. We go once a year. Just booked for May 17th-23rd. Hope the fishing is good this time!!!
roccoecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:07 AM   #14

Question for those of you who have visited the OBX with your trailer - have you taken your rig on the ferry before?

I am planning a trip and thought making a "loop" would be the best way to see everything on our visit. We would drive in through Manteo and camp in the north for a couple of days, then make our way down to Hatteras/Buxton for a few more. Eventually we would take the ferry to Ocracoke and leave on the long ferry to Cedar Island.

I'm curious if entering/exiting the ferry (as well as the ride) is uneventful or would you recommend avoiding the ferry system and driving back out through the north end?
Tekonsha Voyager BC
SawBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:28 AM   #15

I went with my 2 grand daughters 2 summers ago.We stayed at the KOA in Rodanthe.It was not crowded and we literally walked a couple of feet to the dunes,then over them and there was the beautiful Atlantic Ocean.....Theres sooooo much to see and do that its almost overwhelming....Overwhelming in the fact of taking in all its beauty and nature and slowness!!!! We are from Baltimore where everything is fast and people in general are not as hospitable as I wish they were...So taking in the OBX was an absolutely great bit of time warp for us!!!!!
Old 06-21-2014, 07:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBuck View Post
Question for those of you who have visited the OBX with your trailer - have you taken your rig on the ferry before?

I am planning a trip and thought making a "loop" would be the best way to see everything on our visit. We would drive in through Manteo and camp in the north for a couple of days, then make our way down to Hatteras/Buxton for a few more. Eventually we would take the ferry to Ocracoke and leave on the long ferry to Cedar Island.

I'm curious if entering/exiting the ferry (as well as the ride) is uneventful or would you recommend avoiding the ferry system and driving back out through the north end?
We have taken the ferry numerous times, although never with the trailer. I've seen camping rigs on the ferries (along with tractor trailers) so there is room. Other members will likely have done this and chime in soon. Enjoy your OBX trip!
Old 06-21-2014, 09:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBuck View Post

I personally have not. My parents use to do it all the time with their PU. They told me when we started to discussed going. To make sure to have reservations if you have a trailer. We still have not done the trip, but will sometime in the next few years.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #18
Site Team

Reservations can only be made on certain ferry routes. Checkout NCDOT's website for the latest information regarding Outer Banks ferries.

https://ferry.ncdot.gov/

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
Reservations can only be made on certain ferry routes. Checkout NCDOT's website for the latest information regarding Outer Banks ferries.

https://ferry.ncdot.gov/
Good post. Just a thought, the Hattera to Okracoke Ferry requires no reservations. The Okracoke to Cedar Island ferry does...
Old 06-26-2014, 02:13 PM   #20

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by popjim52 View Post
I went with my 2 grand daughters 2 summers ago.We stayed at the KOA in Rodanthe.It was not crowded and we literally walked a couple of feet to the dunes,then over them and there was the beautiful Atlantic Ocean.....Theres sooooo much to see and do that its almost overwhelming....Overwhelming in the fact of taking in all its beauty and nature and slowness!!!! We are from Baltimore where everything is fast and people in general are not as hospitable as I wish they were...So taking in the OBX was an absolutely great bit of time warp for us!!!!!

Good to hear, we will be at the KOA Hatteras in 4 weeks. First OBX experience for the kids - 6, 8, and 11.
2003 Kiwi 23B (first camper - 8 seasons)
Jayco28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote