Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2010, 06:59 PM   #1

Pedernales Falls State Park, Texas

Just got back from a short trip to Pedernales Falls State Park located about 30 miles west of Austin, Texas. Took our grandsons, ages 6 and 3, for their first joint camping trip (we have taken the older grandson on previous trips but waited until the 3 year old was potty trained). The park is in a heavily wooded valley that is bisected by the Pedernales River. Many campers come to tube or swim in the river or fish along the banks. There are abundant hiking trails. Our site was level, shaded, recently paved and supplied with water and 30amp service. Within easy walking distance through the woods was a restroom/shower facility that the boys insisted on visiting as part of their camping experience (they insisted on showering there rather than the trailer--imagine that!). Daily rate was $20 plus $3 per adult per day. First day was pleasant and the boys explored everything around our site. Second day was a scorcher so we hiked early in the morning and late in the afternoon--the rest of the day we spent in the trailer playing Legos, board games and watching Scooby Doo, Jungle Book, etc. We would definitely recommend this park to other TT and motorhome owners.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3448.jpg   IMG_3465.jpg   IMG_3452.jpg  
Old 06-10-2010, 04:51 AM   #2

Thanks I have been wanting to visit the CG sounds like a great place.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:00 AM   #3

Wow, Sam! Neat memories for the kids. And boy does that water look refreshing.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:03 AM   #4

Thats a real nice camping area. Some of my best camping is along rivers, creeks, and lakes. Thanks for the Photos.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #5

Nice pictures Sam. Sounds like you guys had a great time and I'm sure you enjoyed the grandkids. We have four but only our grandson enjoys camping, so far.

Question for you if you don't mind: What kind of mileage do you get towing? Not sure what you tow with but am interested in what folks are getting, especially if they tow with a truck.
RR Conductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:55 PM   #6

We tow with a 2007 Chevrolet Silverado with a 6.0 litre Vortec Max engine and a trailering package. We only get 6 miles per gallon towing a 2010 Jayco G2 29RLS that has a Gross Vehicle Weight of 9,000 lbs. We get about 16 miles per gallon without the trailer. If I knew when I bought the truck in 2007 that it would get such poor gas mileage pulling a heavy travel trailer I would have bought a diesel. But I am sort of stuck with the truck I have because I opted for the most expensive trim package along with the trailering package and trade-in value is now only about 2/3 of the purchase price. So we take only occasional long trips and a lot of short trips. Last year we took our previous TT (another 29 footer) to Grand Canyon NP (south rim), Hoover Dam, Lake Mead/Las Vegas, Zion NP, Bryce NP, Grand Canyon NP (north rim), Painted Desert NP and Petrified Forest NP. In 2007 we took a 27 RLS to multiple national forest campgrounds in Central Colorado for a month. When staying long periods in limited geographic space we can justify the 6 miles per gallon to get there and back. But you won't find us taking a long trip for a short stay.

Hope some other forum members can learn from my failure to do due diligence before buying a gasoline tow vehile for a heavy TT.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:49 PM   #7

Sam thanks for the review and the pics. This is one we are going to try and get to this summer. Was wondering if you guys have the park pass? Seems like a good deal to me if you spend time in Texas state parks. Ivania and I purchased one this summer so I am going to try and get my monies worth this camping season!

Home base... Hondo, Texas

2010 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2009 Ford FX4
4 Point Equil-i-zer hitch
https://www.armadillotimes.com
Hondopatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:19 PM   #8

We have purchased an annual pass for several years now because 1) Texas state parks are minimally funded and our pass is a way of helping out and 2) the several nights of half-price camping as well as not having to pay daily entrance fees can virtually pay for the cost of the pass if you camp and/or visit state parks regularly.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:02 PM   #9

Thanks Sam for the rundown on your truck, etc. I was going to buy a Chevrolet or GMC with the duramax diesel but couldn't get any dealer in my area below $41,700. Took a look at Ford's 1 ton but even with their X price (between employee and retail) the price was $42,"something" and Dodge Ram was the same story. Call me cheap but I figured something below $40K was fair. The wife and I went down to NC to visit our daughter, her husband and the grandkids and while there I went with her to have her minivan's oil changed (she bought a Dodge minivan). Anyway, I talked with the guy she deals with and long story short, I got a 3/4 ton w/ the towing package, diesel, etc for $10K less than where I live. Needless to say I bought the truck and it's been a good one so far. The engine's not broken in yet but towing our 5'er (10K lbs) I'm getting (depending on terrain & mph) anywhere from 11.5 to 13.5 mpg. Running light I'm around 21 mpg and am hoping for more when the engine breaks in but not holding my breath. The main problem with diesels is price per gallon. As you probably know diesel is cheaper to refine but sells for a higher price than gasoline, go figure.... Like you I'm stuck with the truck for now but have threatened (to my wife), to buy a Kenworth W900. She claims it would be a bit of overkill so I'm holding off.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #10

Pete,

You might consider using synthetic motor oil in your engine. It will last a lot longer than regular motor oil and it can prolong the life of your engine (although diesels can easily last 150,000-200,000 miles before needing rings, etc.).

I envy your 11.5-13.5 mpg! Even with the slightly higher cost per gallon you are getting almost twice as many miles as I do for the same amount of money.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:32 AM   #11

Hey Sam,

I've thought of using synthetic oil and if I'm going to do so it's about that time (mileage wise on the engine). Oddly most diesel mechanics I know say to stick with the regular oil such as Rotella T 15W40. I do know one fellow that uses synthetic and swears by it so I'll have to take a closer look. "Thanks" for the reminder.

The sometimes higher mpg diesels give you is nice but this last trip I made to Indiana I never got more than 12.2 and that was in the last 150 miles. Most of the trip I averaged around 11.8, maybe because I was pushing the engine a bit. I guess even at 11.8 I should be happy but you know how it goes, we always want that extra couple of miles-per-gallon.