Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-10-2016, 08:45 PM   #1

Planning trip out West, need advice

We are in the planning stages of a trip out west to go national park hopping. The trailer I have is almost 40 feet long and I'm wondering if that would be a problem out there. Has anyone done this with a large trailer, or have any advice.

JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:59 PM   #2

There will be places you won't be able to take a 40 footer. Just pick your RV campgrounds carefully, and avoid winding mountain roads that are tight.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:01 PM   #3

Nat. Park hopping, especially here in the west - covers a lot of ground. I couldn't help you personally, but I'll bet many folks can advise, BUT - I'm sure if those aforementioned helpful travelers had just some idea of your desired route or parks you wish to see (camp at), you'd be overwhelmed with advice. A time frame would also be instructive. You might even get some good pointers on where in Mid-west en route to overnight.
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:11 PM   #4

Hello, here is a link to an interactive website that shows a 14,000 mile adventure through 47 National Parks including many in the West. I've started to use it to plan a swing through Utah next year. I liked being able to zoom in and out to see more or less detail down to the cities and roads traveled. Hopefully it will be of help to you.
http://rhiever.github.io/optimal-roadtrip-usa/optimized-us-national-parks-trip-47-parks.html

Old 10-10-2016, 09:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWedell View Post
We are in the planning stages of a trip out west to go national park hopping. The trailer I have is almost 40 feet long and I'm wondering if that would be a problem out there. Has anyone done this with a large trailer, or have any advice.
If your traveling from Mid June to Mid August or Memorial day weekend and labor day weekend I would suggest reservations. Many of the parks have very limited sites that can handle a 40 footer, even the private campgrounds. If you have a tentative route it would help.

The national parks are very crowded when the kids are off of school. Even this early you will find many places totally booked.

I would take the northern route one way and a southern route the other way. IE Take 90 west, to black hills, Yellowstone, Teton, then drop down to Colorado and Estes park, Pikes Peak etc, then take 80 back east. Depends on your time frame and amount of time your planning for your trip. You have about 2,000 miles to get to the first park, LOTS of corn and soy beans ! LOL

If you have time, I would drop down and take in Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon, Arches, canyon land, Mesa Verde, Durango/Silverton/Ouray, also..

Good Luck and give us some more information.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWedell View Post

We visited the Tetons, YNP, Glacier and Badlands/SD this past summer.

Make your reservations now for next summer especially for Tetons and YNP. If you choose to stay in those two parks (this I recommend) you are limited.

Glacier and Badlands and SD area have private campgrounds adjacent to the parks and you will have more options for sites in those two areas.

We haven't been to Utah/Colorado yet but is on our bucket list for 2019.

Enjoy your trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Travelwithkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:33 PM   #7

Not sure how far West you are coming; but 40' trailer can't be accommodated in Yosemite NP and very few spots in Sequoia NP.

As others have said, start making reservations as soon as you can. Some private parks allow 12 mths in advance. I think that most NP are 6-7 mths in advance.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:48 AM   #8

You wont fit in Joshua Tree NP but just S of the S gate there is a Boondocking area
211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:03 AM   #9

Hello, I don't have lots of advice for your trip. But I have been to a few of the mid-west parks, ( Yellowstone, Badlands, and Custer ). I have a 35'er it was tight in the Yellowstone rv park. But for the Badlands, Custer we stayed in Wall, SD. I am not a KOA member so now I try to plan all my trips to stay in the KOA's. There is a KOA in the Badlands and West Yellowstone. I hope this helps and have a great trip.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
bigmeaux12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:05 AM   #10

I'm sorry I ment I am now a KOA member lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bigmeaux12 is offline   Reply With Quote