Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-27-2014, 06:15 AM   #1

Questions about Fort Wilderness

We are heading to the Fort at the end of May. I will be reserving a preferred site due to bringing Dude the golden doodle with us. we have never been here before so are very nervous and have a few questions.
1. Can you pick your site? if so any suggestions? Our eagle is a 351MKTS.
2. Do we need to rent a golf cart? Can you drive them to the bus and park them or to the boat taxi?
thank you in advance

2012 Jayco Eagle 351 mkts
2012 F250 powerstroke 4 x 4
rsbwjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:34 AM   #2

We went last year and if I remember correctly you just get reserved a spot in a certain area or loop (pet friendly loop for ex.) and when you check in they assign you what ever is avail in that area. Yes you can rent a GC and park them at the ramp area for the water taxi but found renting those or bikes are REALLY pricy. We brought our bikes and glad we did. Generally each loop or section is well within walking distance to a bus stop in the park and will take you anywhere in the Fort or any of the parks. Bikes or a GC are great for exploring the Fort or pool runs. Have fun!!
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:16 PM   #3

If you plan on renting a GC I suggest reserving early, when we were there the end of March (begin of April) they were sold out. I enjoy the GC so I can ride around a gawk at some really nice rigs. But a GC is not needed, there is an internal (to the camp ground) bus system that will take you to where the external bus system picks you up. Also you can take the ferry over to Magic Kingdom or the Contemporary hotel.
Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:01 PM   #4

Hi,
Whatever activities you have planed to do is ok, but you have to try the restaurant Trails End buffet breakfast, believe me you'll going to love it.
Danmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:27 PM   #5

If you have a Preferred pet site reserved you should be in the 300 loop which is right next to the dog park so getting the puppy there would be no problem. Sites are assigned (generally) based on the size of your unit, you can however ask and see if a certain site is available at check in. There is golf cart parking at the Marina (boat to the Magic Kingdom, Contemporary Hotel and Wilderness Lodge) right next to the Settlement Trading Post there is also a cart parking area at the Outpost (check-in) bus stop as well as a small lot near the Settlement bus stop. You will also find limited (short term) golf cart parking at the Meadows Trading post and golf cart parking at both pools. Also you can ride the puppy on the cart to the dog park and there are about 6 spots there.

The Preferred sites are actually some of the tightest to get into. Since you may have a golf cart I would think seriously about a full-hook up site (1600 to 1900 also pet friendly) more room for less money, just not as close to the Marina, but closer to the pool. The premium sites are the largest and of course more money and with the puppy I would ask for 500 if you decide to splurge.

There is a mobile app "Sites at the Fort" that has dimensions of all the sites and pictures of just about all the sites.

Also check out and join www.fortfiends.net lots of info and a good place to get questions answered.

Your are heading to our "Very favorite place". Hope you have a very Magical Time.

PS: the internal buses are very easy to use, but can be a little slow at times.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:39 PM   #6

this is great info as we would like to head down there next year. I have heard it is quite the place!
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:57 PM   #7

Stayed in the 400 loop (premium) in June 2012 and we are heading back in November for 9 days. We usually set aside at least 2-3 days out of the Disney parks to spend at the campground. There is a lot there for the kids to do including archery, horseback riding, kayaks, two pools, and fishing just to name a few.

Trails End is good homestyle buffet food, to me breakfast was better. If you can spare the change, Hoop Dee Doo Review is a dinner show there that is very entertaining.

As Grumpy suggested www.fortfiends.com is one source of good information as well as www.disboards.com under the camping forum is another source that I use as well.
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:15 PM   #8

Stayed at the Fort in June of 2012 and will be going back November this year for 9 days. We usually allow 2-3 days out of the Disney parks to spend at the campground. There is plenty there to do for everyone including fishing, horseback riding, archery, canoeing, two pools, bike riding, and of course the pets are welcome as well. Large fenced in area to let them run free for a while.

If you go during the holidays you can catch the sites decorated by all the campers who choose to do so.

Trials End is a good homestyle restaurant, agree that breakfast is better. The sites are very nice and very clean. Some are quite long (up to 70').

We usually take our own GC, but you can rent, though it does get expensive. There are some offsite vendors who will rent, but you have to go offsite to meet them and collect your cart due to new Disney rules.

All in all it is a nice place and to me well worth the money for a non-national park type campground which is where I usually like to go.
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:06 PM   #9
Site Team

We are leaving this Friday to arrive at fort wilderness early Saturday. First time for us. So excited I think the DW and I are just as excited as the kids!!!!

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:24 AM   #10

We will also be down in 9 days
TST 507 flow thru

Livinglife2 is offline   Reply With Quote