Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2016, 07:40 PM   #1

Rocky Mountain National Park

Heading to Estes Park next week for a three day stay near the Rocky Mountain National Park. I understand the Trail Ridge Road was open for the first time today. It's still very snow covered in the high mountains, but maybe there will be plenty to see in the low country. Do any of you have some recommendations as to how to make this trip a success?
Old 05-29-2016, 08:50 PM   #2

We've actually traveled through the Rockies in the June when it snowed (inlcuding I-70). Estes was on our route over the two weeks we spent in Rockies that particular trip.

Google weather opportunities for current wind/snow/etc conditions and you will have several options to see the current conditions while driving.

Others will chime in, but hope this helps in the meantime.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruswms View Post
Heading to Estes Park next week for a three day stay near the Rocky Mountain National Park. I understand the Trail Ridge Road was open for the first time today. It's still very snow covered in the high mountains, but maybe there will be plenty to see in the low country. Do any of you have some recommendations as to how to make this trip a success?
Dont drag your unit up that road. Its enough of a haul to get to Estes Park from Boulder up 34. full of switchbacks. Camp at Moraine Park and use your TV to get around. Do not be afraid to go up. Check out if the Old Fall River Road. 4 wd useful. Spectacular road with switchbacks.

You can camp low and travel high.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:26 PM   #4

Were going to canon city the end of this week hoping we might catch a little snow somewhere as my son has never seen snow (live in south Texas)
Old 05-30-2016, 08:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Dont drag your unit up that road. Its enough of a haul to get to Estes Park from Boulder up 34. full of switchbacks. Camp at Moraine Park and use your TV to get around. Do not be afraid to go up. Check out if the Old Fall River Road. 4 wd useful. Spectacular road with switchbacks.

ooooooh yuh! Good point! Our multiple experience has always been going between East to West or West to East, with several times inching our way one direction or the other when we had time.

If you aren't traveling between coasts... DEFINITELY find a 'home camp' as Kim Gass mentioned; sight seeing will be so much nicer/easier
Old 05-30-2016, 09:27 PM   #6

Thanks for your comments. I plan on camping at the Estes Park KOA which I understand is nice but small and your kind of crammed close together. I definitely will home base my trailer and drive my truck to sight see. Just a F150, no 4 wheel drive but I will stay on pavement and hike around if that's possible.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:27 PM   #7

We have made many a day trip to RNMP with it being in our back yard.

Approach and plant yourself on the East side of the park. Not sure where you are coming from. If you come in from I-25 Longmont (Hwy 66), there is a decent Walmart there at Hwy 66 & 287. Estes has a Safeway but it can be a challenge to get into with a towed vehicle.

Once in the park, Moriane is easy to get into and has some beautiful scenery to see from there. It is close to Estes and Bear lake. Fantastic location to base yourself out of in a low lying meadow.

Then as many have pointed out take some day trips on to and/or over the pass or deeper into the park. Crossing over for that day to the west side has some amazing meadow hikes that may get you some moose and elk gazing. You could also drop into grand lake if you want to venture that far.

Ouzel falls might be a tough hike this time of year without snow shoes or spikes.
Bear Lake up to the upper Lakes above is a must do if you can manage your Oxygen.
OLD fall river road is great in a shorter vehicle if it is open. May not be yet
West side meadow hikes are great in the spring... Elk and Moose should abound
Of course people come for the upper alpine experience. Watch the weather in the afternoon... it can get sketchy when the storms roll in.

Just a few ideas!
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:52 PM   #8

If this helps....

Google .... RV park reviews

Google.... Good Sam Reviews

Please, once you stay, leave a review to help others
Old 06-08-2016, 08:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post

Trail ridge road isn't that bad. We pulled our 35' fifth through it both ways last year when we stayed in the west side at Timber Creek Campground. Nothing that I would tell people to stay away from. I would expect that the park service is pretty good about closing the road if it is unsafe due to snow or other conditions.

Beautiful park. We had a couple dozen elk and a sow moose and her calf come through the Timber Creek campground while we were there. We also saw an agitated young bull moose and countless elk (from a distance) when we drove up Old Fall River Road.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:53 AM   #10

The point is there are very few places to park your rig. Driving and sightseeing are different. And 12,000 feet is rough on mileage.

Moraine is incredibly big rig friendly.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote