Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2016, 09:44 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Fuel is cheaper in NJ, so if you have a place to get it I would. Avg Diesel is $2.45/pg right now. Based on your range I would also consider a stop prior to Albany since it's about 240 miles from exit 10 (287) to LGRVP. Those mountains can burn a little more than normal.

There is a truck stop with a Cat scale at exit 16 on the Northway. It's on the south side of the road so you need to make a left once your exit. Google CAT scales and you will see the truck stop in that region. After that it gets tight maneuvering on the exits.
As someone who lives in the area of Exit 16 of the NY Thruway, that portion is NOT "The Northway" The Northway is the portion of the NY Thruway system that continues north of Albany (I87), while The Thruway 'hangs a left' and heads off to Buffalo (I90).

I use exit 16 practically 5 day a week. And I would NOT recommend its casual use! The main portion of the exit links directly to NY17 "The Quickway" (4 to 6 lanes that meanders through the Catskills and eventually finds its way to Lake Eire at the PA border). If you are sharp enough to get off the highways (KEEP RIGHT) and onto NY 32 ramp, you have to get into the CENTER lane and turn left to get into the right lane of NY 32 (the Cat Scales are only a few blocks down on the right). Also be forewarned that Woodbury Commons (an absolute madhouse of shopping) is also at that exit; Just north (right turn) of the ramp.

And fuel is a whole lot cheaper in NJ than on The Thruway. Usually over $0.50/gal. My favorite fuel stop in Mahwah, NJ ULS just went up to 2.249. Near my office in White Plains, NY ULS is 2.899 to 3.299. On The Thruway its around $3.00, if I'm not mistaken.

But you cannot beat the convenience of the rest stops! Getting on and off at any of the exits (bypass Kingston (exit 19) at ALL COSTS!!!!!) can be quite confusing.

Swinging off and back on with the rest stops is a no-brainer. Although, the linkage from the truck & trailer parking areas to the fuel pumps can be awkward at some of them.

After parking with the OTR trucks, get out and plan your approach to the pumps. If you have to loop around the lot, in order to be in a position to maneuver through a 10' gap in the median, no one will stop you.

Good luck. Happy and Safe Driving. And welcome to NY!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:01 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
As someone who lives in the area of Exit 16 of the NY Thruway, that portion is NOT "The Northway" The Northway is the portion of the NY Thruway system that continues north of Albany (I87), while The Thruway 'hangs a left' and heads off to Buffalo (I90).
Mike, I was referring to Exit 16 off the Northway (Saratoga Area), North of Albany. Sorry if this confused people.

Yes I agree that the Catskill exits are not fun and recommended the rest stops for fuel between the TZB and Albany due to this.

Here is link to the current fuel prices with exit #'s. Hope it helps.

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/travelers/...ces/index.html

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:19 AM   #23

Quote:
Mike, I was referring to Exit 16 off the Northway (Saratoga Area), North of Albany. Sorry if this confused people.

Yes I agree that the Catskill exits are not fun and recommended the rest stops for fuel between the TZB and Albany due to this.

Whups, My Bad!

I didn't remember that the exit numbers started over north of Albany.

I'd very much argue the point about the Catskills not being a fun drive. It is a whole lot of fun to go up (and down) the Wurtsboro Hills at night in a snowstorm.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Whups, My Bad!

I didn't remember that the exit numbers started over north of Albany.

:
Yeah it's like groundhog day the movie. I tell the kids we have until exit 20 and they get all excited around Tannersville only to find out there are about 26 more to go!

I get a chuckle out of it.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Fuel is cheaper in NJ, so if you have a place to get it I would. Avg Diesel is $2.45/pg right now. Based on your range I would also consider a stop prior to Albany since it's about 240 miles from exit 10 (287) to LGRVP. Those mountains can burn a little more than normal.

There is a truck stop with a Cat scale at exit 16 on the Northway. It's on the south side of the road so you need to make a left once your exit. Google CAT scales and you will see the truck stop in that region. After that it gets tight maneuvering on the exits.
Awesome thanks for the tip! I plan to stop before 287 and top off and once I get off there top off again.My mileage is actually 180 to 200 miles for fuel,i like to fill at around a 1/4 tank,I had 2 close calls of almost running out so to be safe I start looking for fuel around 1/4 tank.
314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:04 PM   #26

Quote:

Thanks, hopefully getting into fuel pump is my biggest issue this trip

2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 314BHDS

IBEW local 94 Electrical Worker
Old 07-02-2016, 07:37 AM   #27

Thanks to all for directions, trip was a success,only issue was some NY drivers are just as bad as NJ drivers and have no respect for a truck and traiker,but that everywhere, Sloatsburg (sp) rest stop was like a nascar pit stop,people fly thru there. Campground is great so far,but my site is a little on the small side,I can open my door and hand my brother who is next to me a beer,small issues that we forgot about already,here to have fun
Old 07-02-2016, 07:44 AM   #28

Good to see you made it safely.

May the 4th be with you (of July that is)....
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote