Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2016, 12:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
You probably would be fine on the TZ Bridge on a Sunday early AM. You will get to Maine in time to wave at the people sitting in line southbound!

The I 84 route is pretty but it has a good climb out of Newburgh NY and some dips and ups between Danbury and Hartford. Enough that there are climbing lanes.

Closer to the shore the elevation is flatter. I don't know if this is germane to your rig. Something we really never thought about before pre trailer and now we are.

When you first thought of Albany and then northeast... well that would have been a slow but exciting journey across the spine of the Green Mountains. We don't even do that with a car as Keene and Bennington and Rt 9 are slooow.
So if I'm leaving around 6AM from around Six Flags in NJ - would you take the Tappen Zee or the I84 route? I'm assuming I have no restrictions on the Tappen Zee w/ my Class 'C'? Keep in mind if this is the easier/more direct route I'll leave at 5AM or 4AM or pretty much whatever you advise.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:30 PM   #12

there are no restrictions. But the TZ is way longer than the Newburgh bridge so if the winds are up you might keep options open

You have probably picked the easiest time to travel. Of course stoopid things can happen to foul up the best laid plans but we have no control over that

Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Then to exit 55 on 495 which merges back to 95.
The toll booth in York ME is a nightmare on Friday evenings northbound. And on Sunday afternoons south bound.
Google maps is showing 495 to intersect 95 at exit 60. Am I missing something?

Old 03-21-2016, 12:53 PM   #14

In trying to avoid some of the mess that's mentioned on this thread, is this a viable alternative as well?

Tappen Zee --> 684N --> 84E --> Mass TPK E--> 495N -->95N

Old 03-21-2016, 05:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
In trying to avoid some of the mess that's mentioned on this thread, is this a viable alternative as well?

Tappen Zee --> 684N --> 84E --> Mass TPK E--> 495N -->95N
Overthinking. Sunday Morning it is viable but you really do want to pay! 95 is toll only in NH.

Mass TPK is toll all the way. The interchange with 287 and 684 I think is not fun but Sunday AM who cares. It does spare you that awful dipsy doodle west of Danbury on 84 ( which I dont understand either!)

Lets not get overwrought. I travel from ME( an hour past Kennebunkport) to New Haven at least once a month and it takes me 4.5 hours each time with proper timing ( not Fri night nortbound or Sun PM)

84 intersects Mass TPK at Sturbridge. Its a mess the rest of the week as it has a bad weave pattern and illogically placed EZ Pass lanes. Sun AM is not a worry time.

495 ends with a merge to I 95 just before the NH border. NH has a toll booth which is at speed if you have EZ pass.

So to summarize. TZ bridge to 287 to 684 to 84 just west of Danbury to Sturbridge Mass TPK to 290 to 495( left exit off 290..there are warning signs) to 95 will be your fastest route.

Continue on MassTPK to 495 if you want. Its got no advantage save it leaves you less money.
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:26 PM   #16

Thanks much !

Old 08-06-2016, 05:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Overthinking. Sunday Morning it is viable but you really do want to pay! 95 is toll only in NH.

So to summarize. TZ bridge to 287 to 684 to 84 just west of Danbury to Sturbridge Mass TPK to 290 to 495( left exit off 290..there are warning signs) to 95 will be your fastest route.

Continue on MassTPK to 495 if you want. Its got no advantage save it leaves you less money.
Okay so I'm heading up there in two weeks. Just making sure this route is still viable (no closures, etc.). Also are there any height issues on this route?

Looking forward to taking the ride; I've never been anywhere much farther than the TZ bridge, so much of this journey will be something of an adventure !

Old 08-09-2016, 07:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Okay so I'm heading up there in two weeks. Just making sure this route is still viable (no closures, etc.). Also are there any height issues on this route?

Looking forward to taking the ride; I've never been anywhere much farther than the TZ bridge, so much of this journey will be something of an adventure !
Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

I found this interesting read: http://www.hudsonvalleytraveler.com/...estriction.pdf

I don't want to be one of those guys !

Old 08-09-2016, 08:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

I found this interesting read: http://www.hudsonvalleytraveler.com/...estriction.pdf

I don't want to be one of those guys !

Funny it don't say anything about Travel Trailers or RV's.
They are over 6'11" I do believe?????

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Surge Guard 34830
2012 26BH (Traded)
2002 Prowler Lynx (totaled due to tire blowout)
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:41 AM   #20

Well I went and grabbed a trucker's atlas from Rand McNally and it doesn't look like there are any height restrictions on my proposed path. I'd love to here from Kim Gass though; always nice to get it straight from somebody who has done it before.