Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2015, 06:00 PM   #1

RVC River Plantation Tennessee

Good Day All,

In October this year my wife and I are going to try the RVC River Plantation Campground in Sevierville Tennessee. We are travelling down from Ontario with stops in Columbus Ohio. This is a no kids trip, enjoying our 16th anniversary.

Looking for suggestions on what the must see attractions are in that area. We are pretty open to any adventure I am equally happy spending the day exploring a theme park as i am wondering at the works of mother nature. Of course at least one "romantic" adventure idea would be appreciated... It is our anniversary after all

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:13 PM   #2

Beautiful area! Make a picnic basket and head to Cades Cove during the week. It gets very crowded on the weekend. Dollywood is a theme park and very nice. The Dixie stampede is a dinner and show that you would probably enjoy. Happy camping and enjoy your anniversary!!
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:38 PM   #3

I have been camping at River Plantation for about 8 years. It is a nice park. There is an insane amount of things to do in the Sevierville and Pigeon Forge area, hope you have some time to spend there. Lots of restaurants, shows, Dollywood Amusement park, etc.
Also you will want to visit nearby Gatlinburg, and as mentioned, Cades Cove. You will be very busy!!
Curt Q20 Hitch. Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Air bags. Airlift Wireless One compressor.
cgbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:32 PM   #4

I just did a week here and will agree that it is well kept CG. Pools were clear, cool and not over crowded for the week. The only issue I had was the Monday morning (4:30AM) "beeping" from the cement factory just over the river. If you get a site backing up the river you will hear this all throughout the AM and day without fail.

On the plus side you are well north of all the action packed attractions and close to Dollywood and 40. WM is just across the street for anything you need and a little further down the road there are many other options for shopping. 15 mins to the heart of Piegon and 30 to Gatlinburg's start of main street.

Due to the current time of year Cades Cove was nut house. All the locals in the CG told us to stay away during the weekends and heard of 4-6 hrs being the norm for the 11 mile loop. We attempted one day later in the week, but bailed due to traffic and my crew was not up for getting stuck that long. I really wish I could go when you are going in Oct to see the leaves change and enjoy the Smokies for all that natural beauty.

I made up for the Cades Cove miss and did Shenadoah NP on the way back. Skyline drive is a definite must do IMHO. Saw black bears, deer, hawks and beautiful views of the valleys below.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:05 PM   #5

We just did a weekend at Rockey Mtn Premier RV park. Very nice sites and off the beaten path about 15-20 to Gatlinberg. We like going into the mountains and hiking. Cades Cove is definitely worth going to just pick your time. Beyond that there is just about anything you would want to do there.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:12 PM   #6

The way to do Cades cove is to be there when the gates open at Sunrise or right close. Traffic is not bad at all and that is when all the animals are wondering out. But definitely not on the Weekends and If I remember correctly, only bicycles and hikers on Wednesday mornings.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:51 PM   #7

Thanks for all the suggestions. We are here and very much enjoying our time.

We are on day two now. My wife was very happy to go to the Tanger Outlet on day one. We woke up this morning and headed over to Cades Cove. What a beautiful area. We did make one mistake, we took the dog with us. She was not allowed out of the car in most places. It was cool enough that we could leave her for a couple of minutes but no more so we missed a lot of it. We did manage to see a dozen or so white tails, turkeys and a young black bear.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:15 PM   #8

Griswald One........when you have an opportunity, would you please give us your impression of RVC River Plantation. We have stayed at the RVC in Hot Springs, AR and this month we are staying at RVC Carabelle Beach, FL. So far our experiences and impressions are very positive. It appears RVC has a talent for locations and amenities.
Thank you,
Darrell
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:59 PM   #9

Good Afternoon D&M... I would put our initial impression as good. Perhaps a 3.5 Stars out of 5.

The campground is difficult to get into as it is on a major Highway and there are no lights to allow for Westbound traffic to enter. The welcome center is nicely appointed and the staff were freindly. Suprisingly the campstore is only really stocked with camping equippment, no food supplies.

The sites are a decent size and easy to access. They are clean and hook ups are all easy to connect to. Two sewer hookups is a nice touch to allow for different rig sizes and positioning.

The pool facilities are all closed already, a little disappointing when is is still 24' outside in the day. Hot tub access at least would have been nice.

They are not overly pet freindly here. While the dogs are welcome, thier bark park is an unfenced field where your pet has to stay on a 6' leash. That might be ok for pocket pets but my Golden needs to run.

Overall, we might come back... but I think we will check out Anchor Down while we are in town

Old 10-12-2015, 07:35 PM   #10

Thank you Griswald One for the eval. Those are all very important aspects of the amenities that we look for.
Give your golden a hug from us........we miss ours deeply.
You and your bride have a great time.
Darrell
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote