Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2014, 09:22 PM   #1

sand dunes in Michigan?

My wife and I want to take our kids each year to see different places in the USA, one of the places we were thinking about visiting we're the dunes in Michigan, good idea? And if so we're to stay, our kids are 13 and 15.

Thank you!
Old 07-14-2014, 09:47 PM   #2

I'm told Silver lake is one of the best places for Dune activity.

http://www.hideawaycampground.com/si...sand-dunes.php

http://www.sandyshorescampground.com/

http://www.thinkdunes.com/index.php
SLEEKCRAFTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:42 AM   #3

Silver lake is nice. There you can take your orv or 4x4 and drive on them or if you dont have an orv or 4x4, you can rent one or go on a paid sight seeing tour. I have been there several times in the past, but its been years ago. There are several nice private CGs there and also silver lake state park.
I have never been to sleeping bear dunes national lakeshore/park (near Traverse city) but have heard good things about it. I dont belive you can drive on them. I belive there is a national park CG there.
Personally, If you want a place to play in the sand, I would try and go to sleeping bear dunes, this way you dont have to worry about getting ran over by an ORV.
If you are just looking for a place to camp on the beach, Holland State park and Grand Haven state park both have campgrounds right on the beach. The sites right on the beach at both parks are paved (basicly a big parking lot with numbered parking spots). Holland state park offers a hand full of full hook up sites on the beach, the rest are electric only. If you would like to check them out follow this link and put in your info for availibilty and site pictures www.midnrreservations.com Have fun and I hope you enjoy your visit! Dave

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:53 AM   #4

If might take a look at Interlochen State Park. Sites are electric only, but it's within about 1/2 hour of Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park. Also close to Traverse City - which is worth the trip by itself. Traverse City State Park is another option: right on the water, and within 45 min. or so of Sleeping Bear.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #5

Silver lake is good for OHV activities. If your kids like motorcycles, ATVs, and over-powered buggies, it's pretty neat. To get involved, you really need to rent one of the local buggies or take a ride in one.

Sleeping Bear is more of a walking around place.

If you're just looking for sand, lake Michigan has some great sandy shores at the SE tip and you don't have to go all the way to Traverse City. For us, the beach means that our son self-entertains for hours.

Regardless, Michigan is great in the summer.. We'll be up that way in August.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #6

We enjoyed camping at Warren Dunes State Park, right on Lake Michigan.
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:38 PM   #7

Thanks for all the reply's.I will be sure to research all of them.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:03 PM   #8

Thanks for the info also as I am new to having a TT and this info will come in handy!!
tnmcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:21 AM   #9

Silver lake is neat but too noisy and busy for me. If you are into off roading then it's great. Sleeping Bear is a must see. Interlochen State park, as mentioned above, does have all the state park amenities and is located halfway between SB dunes and Traverse. Both great places. If you are looking to stay closer to SB though, I hear a Empire Township and Platte River National campground are great. Though I've beer been to either. People are always ranting about them though.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:12 AM   #10

I'll be staying at Platte River Campground first week of August so I would be interested in hearing more about it or seeing photos. Taking my kids up there to see Mackinaw Island and Sleeping Bear, Point Betsy Lighthouse, we can't wait!

I have heard Silver Lake is great.
In Oklahoma there is Little Sahara if you ever get down this way. My brother goes there a lot to ride his atv.
okieinalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:45 AM   #11

Michigan is a great place to spend a week (not just because I live here.) If I was you, I would skip Silver Lake. I would go to Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore, Traverse City and Mackinaw. Anything in the UP is great to, lots of interesting things relating to maritime and mining history there as well.
Nick264bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:54 PM   #12

I will be at Platte River Campground in about 10 days, staying for 5 nights. This will be my third consecutive year, each year in a site without any hookups. They do have electric sites, but I've never gotten one of those. Very nice campground. Exceptionally clean. VERY high demand - the sites are booked solid through the summer. They have something I have never encountered anywhere else - a room specifically dedicated to washing your dishes!!!!

Only thing I don't like about the campground is that you need to buy tokens to take a shower, so you are spending a few dollars daily just for that. There is a nice little place to rent canoes just outside of the campground, and you float all the way to Lake Michigan.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:51 PM   #13

We just got back from there!!! Stayed three nights in Mackinaw City at Mackinaw Mill Creek campground. I highly recommend it has quite a bit of shoreline and great views of the bridge. From there we went down to Traverse City and stayed two nights at Holiday Park RV Park. We went to Sleeping Bear Dunes, and they are amazing. We also picked 8lbs of cherries as they were just coming ripe last week when we were there. After that we spent three days in Ypsilanti at the Detroit/Greenfield RV Park and spent one day at The Henry Ford Museum and another at Greenfield Village. Little over 1300 mile round trip for us.
PowerStroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:04 PM   #14

Just got back from Petoskey, Mackinaw and the UP...highly recommend this!!!!
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #15

Oh yeah...The KOA in Petoskey is beautiful!!!
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote