Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2016, 09:07 AM   #1

Savannah, Ga

Any good campgrounds in the Savannah Ga area? I've seen a few in line and they look good. And saw a nice one online in Tybee Island. Suggestions and reviews please!!
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:38 AM   #2

Depends on what type of campgrounds you like...

Skidaway Island State Park

South of Savannah, in a more populated area. We visited this park to check it out but did not camp there, some sites have full hookups.

Fort McCallister State Park

South of Savannah, by Richmond Hill, out away from it all with a lot of history with the Fort and what Henry Ford did for the area. Farthest from Savannah but not to far...we have stayed here and will do so again

Tybee Island... I have driven by the little campground there many times, (my Uncle lived on Wilmington Island) it is small but appears nice but your packed in there. If your just using it to sleep you would be OK and it is closest to downtown.

Probably is booked far in advance...
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:59 AM   #3

Also a really nice KOA in Richmond Hill if you are so inclined. Delightful folks, with a nice lake and beautiful swans. Close by to everything.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:39 AM   #4

Nice good Good SAams just off 95 close to Savannah and Hilton Head. Very clean.
edfgrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:49 AM   #5

We stayed at Rivers End http://www.riversendcampground.com/ which is the campground on Tybee a couple of times. Some sites for the bigger rigs are close together and most of the smaller sites are still close but not as bad as the ones you see passing by. Both times we stayed was off season so we got end spots and a few spaces between us and the next camper. I believe it is owned by the city and close to a sewer treatment plant but only smelled it walking to the beach. Also stayed at Skidaway Island as well. About 20-30 minutes away from a beach but a nice campground. When we stayed the cable TV was out but other than that it was a nice stay.
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #6

Skidaway Island SP just minutes south of downtown Savannah. We stayed here about 3 years ago during a Christmas vacation trip. It's a beautiful campground. As stated in a previous reply some of the sites have electricity & water. Sites were roomy. We do recommend a visit to beautiful McAllister SP as well. Lots of history there. Here are a couple pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Skidaway SP.jpg   Skidaway Entrance.jpg  
Old 05-17-2016, 07:14 PM   #7

I made reservations at the KOA for this July, so we shall see. I'll give a campground review when we return. Thanks for the information.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:24 PM   #8

Well, the KOA at Richmond Hill is a nice campground. Easy to get to off of I-95 and most of the sites are pull through. Decent shade on most of them and are decent width. They had everything ready when we arrived and was super friendly. It took about 20 minutes n to get downtown. BTW, finding a parking spot for a 2500 is no easy feat. So, I'd recommend it to anyone.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:33 PM   #9

Thanks for the follow up. We make the trip down to FL and like stopping in GA. Maybe check this place out next time...,
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:59 PM   #10

We've stayed at Rivers End before. It was a nice enough campground, VERY tight though. The best part was the proximity to Tybee and The Breakfast Club restaurant!

Most recently we stayed at Red Gate. Its a small campground, not much amenities that I recall (we stay in February though). It was clean, no real "Bathhouse" per se, but they had 2 full bathrooms in the office that were open 24 hours a day. Its located on a nice piece of property and was a nice place to walk around with the kids and dogs.

We've also stayed at Savannah Oaks before. That was a year that we didn't make reservations and everything else was booked. Savannah Oaks had worse reviews, but we loved it. Lots of Spanish Moss trees, big sites, clean bathhouse, relatively close to the city.

Granted, when we go to Savannah we essentially use our RV as a hotel room, so we weren't hanging out at the campground other than breakfast, dinner and sleeping.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote