Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-27-2015, 11:05 PM   #1

Sequoia National Forest

This is where we go for the Summer (past 10 years). Upper Peppermint dispersed area in Sequoia National Forest. It's 14 day limit (free), but in all the times we've camped there, we've never been asked to move. During the week there might be 4 or five other campers by the river, but none by the road, the weekend can get kind of crazy down by the creek. We camp about 200 yards from the creek, and never hear any other campers. There are plenty of places to camp there where you'd never see or hear another camper. Camp fires are allowed, but you need to get a permit. I think the road is closed until Memorial day weekend. We've been up there as early as June 5th or so and there was still snow on the ground.

The limiting factor is potable water and black water tank capacity. There is no water on that mountain. We bring refreshments to the fire crew camp up there (about 2 miles from the cite) and they let us fill our 55gal water barrel. Otherwise, bring your own water up from one of the camp grounds in Kern. We use a blue tote to dump the black water and drive down to Kern when we need supplies. Don't forget to haul your trash down there too. In Kern there are grocery stores, touristy places, food, tube rental places, fishing, ect. In the summer it's hotter than hades (100 plus degrees) down the mountain. The river is cool, but it's packed on the weekends.

The National Park (where I grew up camping, Kings Canyon, ect) is actually really far away (I think my wife said it would be a 3-4 hour drive) from the National Forest. There's no easy way to get from one to the other. So this is not really a good jumping off point, unless you want to check out the Kern river.

The dirt road getting down into the dispersed area is a little rough the closer you get to the river. But you can park at the top of the hill (it's actually more level up there) and has better camping spots. The drawback is you'll be hiking down to the river. There is plenty for kids to do, miles of trails, swimming, biking, or just get lost in the woods. There's a little general store that has ice cream and a little diner about a mile from the camp. Bring your GOLD CARD though wink emoticon . On the mountain it stays in the 70's and 80's during the day. Thunderstorms are frequent though. There are no hosts or volunteers, no check in time, no trash service, no water, no sewer. There's a ranger that drives through maybe once a day. Sometimes you'll see the fire service guys run by. I've seen Fish and Game there, but other then that nothing.

It's super dusty there. The dirt is so fine it gets everywhere. It's like talcum powder fine. This last summer I sent the kids down to the river to get washed up from riding their bikes. When they got back they were as dirty as when they left. It's a little frustrating. So make sure you have a indoor out door carpet. Your dog and your wife will thank you.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:06 PM   #2

There are some nice paved trails as well a bit down the hill.

MAP AREA

Regards,
JP
Old 01-27-2015, 11:35 PM   #3

Couple questions:
How large of a trailer do you think a person could get up there? Mine is about 31' bumper to ball hitch. I pulled a 27 footer up that way a couple years ago and it was tight in a couple spots along the river.
About how far out of Kernville is that area?
Thanks
Russ661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:53 PM   #4

Trailer size I would say 30 foot. Before this Jayco we used to pull a 30 foot Terry down there. The Road is rutty and there are a couple low branches so I would not pull a huge 5th wheeler down there. There are plenty of spots up towards the main road to camp for bigger rigs. The spots closest to the river are tent/ pop-up trailers only, they are not level at all. We camp to the left of about 100 to 200 yards from the river.

Kernville is like an hour away.

Regards,
JP
Old 01-28-2015, 12:10 AM   #5

From the top of the road where the first camp cites are, it's only about a 1/2 mile to the river. I personally like the campsites at the top of the hill better, they are more flat, shadier, and definitely more secluded. Best of all any RV can camp there. I'll take some more pictures of the different cites this summer.

Regards,
JP
Old 01-28-2015, 09:17 AM   #6

Looks like a beautiful place to camp with the family. Thanks for posting your write-up and pics!
Old 01-28-2015, 09:50 AM   #7

Thanks for taking the time looking at it.

Regards,
JP
Old 01-28-2015, 11:02 AM   #8

Do you happen to have the GPS coordinates for that area? I tried to find it on Google maps, but I am not exactly sure where that is.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:17 AM   #9

hmmmm maybe-- let me check my truck.

Regards,
JP
Old 01-28-2015, 11:49 AM   #10

Looks like plenty of water to me haha... We always bring along our drinking and cooking water anyway. Being a fresh ground bean coffee lover you have to use the same water all the time to get your favorite coffee taste.

I carry two 5-gallon fresh water totes and a two wheeled folding cart cart all the time. Use this to carry off gray water and find fresh water for the camper when camping off the power grid somewhere. Most of the Natl Forest places we visit has a central bath room setup somewhere relative close by...

Thanks for the nice photos...

Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:50 PM   #11

There is two ways you can come from: From Porterville, Drive 34 miles east on highway 190 to Camp Nelson. Continue on about 15 miles southeast on highway 190 to the entrance road.
Forest Road 21S07.

Or from Kernville (Lake Isabella) take the 178 to the 155 take the 155 around the lake to the 495. Take 459 to Mnt. HW 99. Follow that all the way to M50. M50 to M90 stay on that past Trail Of 100 Giants Trail (Long Meadow Grove) about 17miles to Upper Peppermint ( Forest Route 21S07) if you go past Peppermint Creek you've past the road

There is brown sign that says Peppermint campground, and a dirt turn off.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir//36....18.5353583,15z

That's the best I can do and it took me an hour, I didn't save the GPS because we've been going there for years. Sorry.

Regards,
JP
Old 01-28-2015, 01:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
Looks like plenty of water to me haha...
Roy and Carolyn
Just know that every time we go here we have to treat our dog for giardia. I'm not going to tell you not to drink the water (it's none of my business), I just hope you either have lots of TP or the means and know-how to purify it. Bring some Metronidazole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
Most of the Natl Forest places we visit has a central bath room setup somewhere relative close by...

Thanks for the nice photos...

Roy and Carolyn
This place doesn't, it's as boondocking as it gets.

Regards,
JP