Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-14-2013, 09:50 PM   #1

South Carolina Beach CG???

Looking for a great recommendation on a beach CG in South Carolina to take the family for my kids spring break in late April. The DW is searching around, but recommendations are always the best way to go. Any help would be appreciated.
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:19 AM   #2

In the Myrtle Beach area, try Ocean Lakes or Myrtle Beach Travel Park for commercial CG's. Further south, we enjoy Huntington Beach SP and Edisto SP. For visiting Charleston, there is a nice KOA in Mt Pleasant.
Dual Pane Windows
Rear View Safety backup camera
Macerator system
northmeck0255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #3

I would add that it entirely depends on your wants/needs. If you want 'relative' quiet, try one of the state parks. If you want to be able to ride around in a golf cart, putt-putt, on-site pools/waterslides, etc., try one of the more commercial campgrounds. There is plenty to choose from in that area.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #4

We like ocean lakes campgrond. I generally avoid ocean campgrounds because I hate salt spray testing my camper and truck so we always try to get as far off the beach as possible when picking a spot.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #5

If you are looking to be on the beach, there are several to chose from. There are 2 state parks on the beach. Myrtle Beach State Park and Huntington Beach State Park. If you want one of these you better start looking at reservations now. They fill up quickly. Also on the beach, but privately owned, there are 4 that I can think of. Apache CG, in North Myrtle. Longest pier on the east coast. Never stayed there, but have driven through. My least favorite of the 4. A world record 1700 pound shark was once caught from that pier. Down on the other side of Myrtle Beach, there are 3 more CG's. Here is my take on these. Ocean Lakes, by far the most popular. Huge place, with tons of kids, golf carts and people. Easy to get lost in the place. Teens will love it, if you have smaller kids, one of the other 2 may be better suited. Lakewood is right there as well. Never stayed but have walked through. It is a Christian based CG. Lots of rules on alcohol etc. Golf carts and kids galore. Any time I asked to drive through and look, I was always told that it was not allowed. Probably the most strict of the 3 in that area. PirateLand is right there as well, and is where I store my TT, and stay. About the same size as Lakewood. Relaxed environment. Plenty of teens and younger kids. I have been going there for years. I always felt better about my kids there than Ocean Lakes. They rent golf carts(which are everywhere)(in all 3). All 3 are expensive in season and book fast. If you don't want to deal with golf carts, kids and teens, go with the State Parks. If you have kids and teens you will probably enjoy the other 3. Just my 2 cents on them all.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #6

South Carolina Beach CG???

HUGELY helpful. Thank you all. Now I can give all this info to the DW and get her on the planning part. I like that there seem to be several good options.
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #7

Word of advice about the state parks. They are literally littered with copperhead snakes. They even will tell you that up front on their homepage of the websites. Major reason we will not stay there. We get enough of those on our farm. I don't really plan to vacation with them at the beach if I can help it. Just my opinion.

Number of Nights Camping - 2013 26RKS
2014 - 18, 2013 - 11, 2012 - 11
Number of Nights Camping - 2012 17Z
2012 - 10, 2011 - 13

Countless nights as kids and young adults in a pop-up, hardside TT and several tents!
campingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingdog View Post
Word of advice about the state parks. They are literally littered with copperhead snakes. )
I have camped in many SC state parks and all in the MyBh area many times. Never seen a snake.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I have camped in many SC state parks and all in the MyBh area many times. Never seen a snake.
I'm at Myrtle Beach CG now. Enjoying it like many other campers here. ... have done a lot of dog walking - no snakes seen.

We will surely put MBCG in our future plans.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:21 AM   #10

We stayed at Lakewood often, it's nice pool is near the beach, good grills, putt putt, safe place. Not as many Golf carts zooming around as Ocean Lakes. Lots of programs and games for the kids. Great place. Also stayed at Myrtle beach campground, we liked it too, but the kids always wanted to go back to Lakewood.

DieselX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #11

We were told about Myrtle Beach Travel Park, is supposed to be close to the beach. Never stayed there but was told it is a nice place. We have stayed @ Hilton Head Harbour RV park, a super place, about a 10 minute drive to the beach. They have 2 pools,

Buckeyejim
Columbus Oh
2011 Eagle 322fks
2011 Ram Diesel
buckeyejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
I'm at Myrtle Beach CG now. Enjoying it like many other campers here. ... have done a lot of dog walking - no snakes seen.

We will surely put MBCG in our future plans.
They really come out to play in the summer. AVOID Ocean Lakes...its beyond crazy in the busy season, way too many people in that park. My choice is Lakewood or Pirate Land.

Check this thread out.. http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...-beach-camping
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:36 AM   #13

If you visit the MB area State parks, just saw on the local news yesterday that Myrtle Beach State Park and Huntington Beach State Park have beed given $3,000,000 (to share) to make improvements/updates to their parks. MB says they will re-pave the park, update the CG bath houses, and add sewer hook ups to some sites. Huntington so far just says they are adding more camp sites.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:46 PM   #14

We love pirate land, me wife and 2 kids. Its a blast
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:20 AM   #15

Pirateland is great expecially since the re-did their splash pool area. Really fun for the kiddies and tons of activities in the summer. Did notice the other weekend they were removing alot of their rental villas and putting in new ones that look like log cabins (kinda like you might see at a Jelly Stone).
Old 01-18-2015, 09:42 PM   #16

If Charleston, SC is on your radar then you might want to check out James Island County Park. They have a VERY nice camp ground thats close to the historic district and a short drive from Folly Beach. BY THE WAY the camp sites are full service with W E & S.
krcarter54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:40 PM   #17

If you ABSOLUTELY love noise, constant traffic and fearing for your children's lives from being ran over by one of the millions of golf carts then by all means stay at on of the huge commercial camp grounds at Myrtle Beach! If this is NOT your idea of fun and relaxation then I highly recommend one the state parks - especially Hunington Beach St. Park. The only bad thing about this state park is you can addicted to watching the gators and waterfowl in their natural habitat!
krcarter54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:49 AM   #18

We like Myrtle Beach Travel Park the best. No golf carts unless you are a permanent resident. Nice pool with lazy river. A game room and indoor pool. Very friendly staff. Just a slower overall pace than the southend campgrounds.

2013 Jayco 22FB
2014 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Cummins
ghuffman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:33 PM   #19

Look at the campground maps. All the commercial places tend to pack everyone close together. My rule of thumb is if a campground has more than 500 sites it probably won't be one I like.
mnebinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:07 PM   #20

I think Myrtle Beach Travel Park has over1000 sites!
linkbelt is offline   Reply With Quote