Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2015, 11:20 AM   #1

St. Andrews State Park, Florida

Was there for 2 weeks beginning March 17 after the 2 day trip from our home in central Va. Stayed overnight on the way down at Ft. McAllister State Park in Ga. Attempted to eat outside soon after we arrived and the blackflies were terrible. On to St Andrews the next day.

Had a beautiful campsite on the lagoon (I believe that's what they called it) about 25' from the water. Nice easy Kayaking on the water, fishing close by on the jetty which we didn't do but several were on there everyday. They were catching Sheepshead from the rocks. We decided to go on a headboat for a 6 hr trip after seeing the catch from the day before of some nice Vermillion Snapper on a 4 hour trip. So you know the rest of the story--Should have been there yesterday. We caught lots of Ladyfish, the small variety that are allowed but we only kept a few due to their size. WMy wife caught one White Snapper. There were a few Triple Tail, Vermillion Snapper, sharks, and remoras caught.

The campground: Plenty of nice restrooms/showers, nice sites for tents to BIG motorhomes, alligators in the right places for their viewing, NO blackfiles but when it was calm a few days the no-see-ums were there. Overall a great campground in our limited ventures and plan to return next year. Pontoon boats are there for rental and an excursion/shuttle to Shell Island on the other side of the jetty. Plenty of charter boats to bottom fish or "offshore" fishing which the season had not really started yet when we were there.

I will add that there was a shooting in nearby Panama City of 7 people that I understand made national news but that was on the strip due to Spring Break. There was a lot of talk on the problems that they had in years past and of the one this year but when they hold a emergency meeting to ban beer on the beach and the 5 city council members voted 3-2 that they do nothing to ban this, guess they thought of $$$$ vs what the police chief wanted.

NICE PLACE really!!
2018 Jayco White Hawk 29BH
Fishnmagician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:08 PM   #2

I will arrive at St. Andrews on 5-15 for 4 months. This will be my 5th summer in a row as a camp host. I'm ready now.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:40 PM   #3

Liked camping there on the way to Disney last Spring Break. Hated getting a bike stolen from the beach area. My fault, it should have been locked, but just a reminder, that park is very open to the public.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:16 PM   #4

We have family that live in Panama City. We are at St. Andrews at least twice a year...one of favorite parks!

There are several nice state parks in the area.

Hey Ed...will be at Florida Caverns end of April...looks like we will miss you again.
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:46 AM   #5

Maybe one day Ken.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote