Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2017, 08:28 PM   #1

The great lakes

so the wife and i are trying to figure out where to go on a week (or more) long trip next year. we are from PA and haven't traveled north very much. we are thinking about Michigan or upstate New York near the great lakes. any suggestions or favorite spots? Ideally we would park the travel trailer at one place with alot to do there and take day trips to near by attractions.
xcav8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:45 PM   #2

Please refer to recent post "Niagara Trip Suggestions".

Many things to do and see around Greater Buffalo & Niagara Falls region.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:20 PM   #3

Thousand Island region is beautiful. We camp at Grass Point State Park between Clayton and Alexandria Bay, NY every year and take our boat. You can see the Antique Boat Museum, two castles, boat tours, fishing, light house overlooking Lake Ontario. Don't expect chain restaurants or flashy stuff, this place is a "summer only" economy.

In Michigan, you might want to check out Young State Park on Lake Charlevoix. It's near the town of Charlevoix on Lake Michigan.

There are other places I would recommend while you're up there in Michigan. Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore is right on Lake Michigan and it's amazing! You think Florida has sand? Wait 'till you see this. It's a bit of a drive but worth the trip. Be sure to check out the "climbing dune". I don't think you can camp in this park.

Another would be the Mackinac Bridge. After you cross the bridge you can find parking for a ferry that will take you to Mackinac Island where you can step back in time--no cars allowed! Be prepared to eat some fudge; they make it everywhere. There's a nice Irish Pub.

I've boated on nearby Torch Lake. The water is a beautiful blue color (some sort of mineral does it I think) and they say that when conditions are right you can see 100 feet down. There's no camping on this lake that I know of. You could grab some lunch in the town of Alden and check it out.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:21 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Traver City, MI has a nice campground right across from lake.Nice relaxing area. Michigan has a lot to offer. I wasn't impressed with Maciknaw Island, tourist trap. Currently been exploring New York Sate. Pretty cool state. We did Niagara Falls, 1000 Islands, Lake George, Watkins Glen, Letchworth SP and now Lake Chautauqua. I think 1000 islands and Watkins Glen were our favorites. Lots to do from Watkins Glen. Water Falls, Wineries and lots of hiking. All within 10-40 minutes. If I had to pick single place with most to do it would be Watkins Glen.

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Traver City, MI has a nice campground right across from lake.Nice relaxing area. Michigan has a lot to offer. I wasn't impressed with Maciknaw Island, tourist trap. Currently been exploring New York Sate. Pretty cool state. We did Niagara Falls, 1000 Islands, Lake George, Watkins Glen, Letchworth SP and now Lake Chautauqua. I think 1000 islands and Watkins Glen were our favorites. Lots to do from Watkins Glen. Water Falls, Wineries and lots of hiking. All within 10-40 minutes. If I had to pick single place with most to do it would be Watkins Glen.
I'll be camping at Watkins Glen this weekend but not at the state park. We camp on the infield of the race track for NASCAR weekend; not exactly a quiet, peaceful setting!

I've never camped at the State Park but it looks beautiful. I've hiked the gorge--downhill, took a bus back to the top. It's really nice and a great place to take pictures.

I camped earlier in the month at Keuka Lake State Park. I like it there because I have a boat but you cannot see the lake from your campsite. The finger lakes are a really special place and it should be noted that in addition to wineries, they are getting into breweries--that got my interest; always need something to do on a rainy day!
Old 07-31-2017, 07:58 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Lake Chautaugua KOA currently. Patio sites at rear of CG has a lake view. Huge private baths and showers. One of the nicest KOA's we've been too.

The Gorge Trail at Watkins Glen kicked my butt lol. Walked the whole thing and about 900 steps.

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:59 AM   #7

North shore Lake Superior . Stunning scenery. Far better than the south shore which is nice enough.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:19 PM   #8

Traverse City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I just got back from a week in Traverse City State Park. Agreed that there is a lot to do! Also close to Empire, Sleeping Bear Dunes, and a 4 mile bike ride to Traverse City itself where there are many restaurants, cafes, breweries, and wine tasting. Close to Leelanau and Old Mission Peninsulas, Sutton's Bay, Northport, and Petosky if you want to make a little drive. Lots of coastline to watch sunsets, and take tours on a sailing ship (we did a wine tasting tour catered by a local restaurant)...etc.
Guitarnorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:57 PM   #9

I have camped thru out Michigan my whole life ! Many great places to go and see! The Traverse city area is great old mission peninsula, leelanaw peninsula sleeping bear dunes and much much more same is true for the whole west and east coast of Michigan. Mackinaw city and island is are a mother great area and you need a week just for the upper peninsula. Could gone for ever ! Michigan state park campgrounds are outstanding but most are electric only!

2017 Jay Flight 284 BHSW SLX
2014 F150 XLT 4x4 quad cab
2018 Ford F150 XLT Sport 4x4
2020 Ford F-150 Ltd Sport max tow
equalizer wd/sway
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:01 PM   #10

As a life long Michigander our Upper Peninsula offers some breath taking scenery, wonderful sites and historic attractions.

Fayette State Park, and old iron smelting town
Kitch-Iti-Kipi
Fort Wilkins State Park, Civil War era Military Fort
Lake of the Clouds
Just to name a few.
Attached Thumbnails
fayette-medium.jpg   19f7124f5754dc7f7a13660e47f3fd7b.jpg   IMG_20170730_135543907.jpg   IMG_20170729_123011718_HDR.jpg  
rdlouks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlouks View Post
As a life long Michigander our Upper Peninsula offers some breath taking scenery, wonderful sites and historic attractions.

Fayette State Park, and old iron smelting town
Kitch-Iti-Kipi
Fort Wilkins State Park, Civil War era Military Fort
Lake of the Clouds
Just to name a few.
X2 on those suggestions!

Pictured rocks and Taquanomon falls too!
Old 09-19-2017, 09:36 AM   #12

We went completely around Lake Superior last summer, and had a blast. Michigan has some great spots- we camped at Wilderness SP, then on to the Porkies (Union Bay CG). We then stayed on Minnesota's Hwy 61 at Lamb's Resort, a real nice place that allows you to base camp for many of their SPs up there. Continued up into Thunder Bay, Ontario, then ended up in a truly spectacular CG at Lake Superior Provincial Park (Agawa Bay area). My opinion, if you like scenery and simply peace and quiet, Michigan can't be beat.
Bob806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:16 AM   #13

three weeks ago we went to the Niagara Falls area and stayed at 14 Mile Creek state park. There is a lightly used boulevard style road that goes directly to the Falls, less than 5 blocks to Falls parking. Reasonable price and clean. Books up on weekends but much cheaper and nicer than the private camps closer in.

We have circumnavigated the Great lakes twice and loved every minute. Canada is more expensive for fuel and food but some great things to see.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:12 PM   #14

I agree with RogerR except the park is called Four Mile Creek SP.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:28 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Every summer my parents took us to Young State Park in Boyne City Mi. As kids, we had tons of fun, it was a great place to camp. Fast forward some 40 years .... as much as i love Michigan ( born in Michigan, moved to Ontario when i was 5), i have to say our Provincial Parks are nicer than the Michigan State Parks ..... but only for one reason ..... where there are two sites in a Provincial Park, a state Park would have 4. I love a bit of space between me and my neighbour .... but i do love my home state of Michigan!