Thought an interesting thread would be planning next years camping excursions with a theme! Please share with your fellow campers itinerary ideas they may find useful in planning a future vacation.
I am a native Californian whose ancestors chased the Gold Rush; when family and friends visit - we encourage them to experience more than just the beaches, destination parks, and popular cities such as San Francisco, Los Angeles, or San Diego! For example, and just to name a few, here are themes you could enjoy in California AND where you can get into the campgrounds (federal, state, county, club/membership, or private):
- Follow the gold rush: Sutter's Mill where the first nugget was found, Sutter's Fort and Old Town in Sacramento (state capital), Highway 49 where around each corner is a gold-rush town ~ some even have mines you can tour
- Food: though most think of the wineries north of San Francisco, the whole state is filled with wineries - great places to visit and make purchases; enjoy the brie, the craft beer, or the many private coffee roasters too
- Famous authors: Follow John Steinbeck, Mark Twain, Bret Harte, or Jack London's footsteps, among many others whose stories are based on places they lived/traveled
- Missions: Follow them as they string the California coastal valleys.
- Railroads: from small mountain trains to a great train museum in Sacramento, learn about their influence on the state