Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-25-2014, 12:06 PM   #11
We went that direction from the Chicago area to as far as Mount Rushmore. Pretty uneventful drive and barely any traffic, but lower MN and all through SD, we had to battle wind, so you may want to just prepare yourself for that. Aside from tanking our gas mileage, it was manageable for us. We were able to call up local campgrounds for one-night stops while we were on the road. At least through MN and SD, we felt there was an ample number of gas stations fairly well-spaced, but still give yourself enough gas cushion just in case...

kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:57 PM   #12
If you end up on I90 in SD near Chamberlain at sunset, the view of the Mississippi River is one of the prettiest sights from an interstate I have ever seen. Good restaurant just on the other side of the river also. One warning. My sis-in-law did a non-RV trip to Yellowstone in Sept this year and half of the park was closed due to snow.

Retired and loving it.
Got a new 2014 Grayhawk 31DS
Hoping to get away from the IL winters
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:03 PM   #13
We did Hwy 14 over the Bighorns this past summer, pulling our 26.5 fifth wheel. It's a many mile 6% grade up, and the same down. Lots of hairpin turns with a max speed of 20 mph. Not frightening, but slow, demands good braking skills, and attention to the road. I'd call it very do-able and a good introduction to mountain driving! Do NOT take 14A from where it splits from 14 in the Bighorns. That one is reportedly a real hair raiser, even if not towing.
Hwy 16 is an alternative - haven't driven it lately, but seem to remember it as about the same as 14. Many forest service campgrounds in the Bighorns, as well as off road camping.

There is a more southerly route, going to the Tetons first, by way of I80 through Nebraska and Southern Wyoming that looks like it may be pretty fast. We haven't done that in many years, so can't give much of an opinion about it. It will be very flat country, though, all the way from home until you actually reach the Tetons. And even then, the road up to Yellowstone is a pretty easy drive. Might be the best route if you plan on putting the hammer down and driving well into the night!

2012 Ford F-150 Eco, Max/Max
Jayco 26.5 RLS, Reese Sidewinder
Flapper is offline   Reply With Quote