Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Camping and RV'ing > Campgrounds and Attractions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #1

trip planning to yosemite & Redwoods from Phoenix - help?

We are planning a trip for next summer to yosemite & redwoods from Phoenix, AZ. This will be the first long trip we have taken pulling our 33 ft 5th wheel. If you have any suggestions on the best route, places to stay along the way, etc, we would greatly appreciate it. We are thinking about taking about 3-4 weeks to do this since we might also go up the oregon coast some. Love any suggestions! Thanks!
2012 jayco Superlite 30.5 RLS:hello:
AZ Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #2

That sounds like a really great trip.

I would suggest that you consider a couple days Sequoia NP & Kings Canyon NP too, you'll drive right past them on the way to Yosemite. You probably already know that campsites in Yosemite, as most NP, are tight and dry camping only. I imagine you will be doing lots of exploring, so for Yosemite I wouldn't worry to much about camping in valley. We stay in the park at Wowona, seems a little easier to get reservations and bit more RV friendly.

If you do add Sequoia to your plan, we typically stay outside the park at Sequoia RV Ranch in Three Rivers. By no means a resort CG, but has full hookups and several river front sites.

The "Redwoods" cover a very large area of CA north coast, I have family all over the Fort Bragg/Medocino area, so I have never taken an RV there but spent lots of time. Mackerricher SP seems to be very popular, and there are some private CG in the area.

Not sure your route, but making a loop and coming back through the eastern Sierra might be something to consider. Lassen NP is amazing and not nearly as busy as the other CA NP. As well there are some very nice places along the June Lake Loop and Devils Post Pile NP.

As you start to narrow you trip I am sure the folks here can provide a lot more specific information relating to routes and locations.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote