Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-09-2016, 09:16 PM   #1

Upper Peninsula trip

Looking for insight for those of you familiar with the UP of MI. Just purchased our new 2017 Jayco and our starting plans and hope to start getting reservations over the next few months for a trip the end of June 2017.

We are planning to do 2 nights at each of the following....

St Ignace SP
Tahquamenon Falls SP
Munising Park
Porcupine Mt SP

Thoughts? Too much moving around? Any suggestions on any centrally located campground s?

We plan on visiting the following if this helps--
Mackinaw Island
Soo locks
Whitefish
Tahquamenon Falls
Pictured Rocks
And the Porkies

Thanks for any input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Travelwithkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:23 AM   #2

Congrats on the new rig!!!

For the reservations at a Mi SP, they can only be made 6 months out, so it will be a while until you can make them.

As for staying 2 nights at each park, that is a tough call. We have only ever stayed in one place, so I can't comment on doing so. But depending on your plan, the lost time between check out and check in may hurt you a little if there isn't enough room to park the whole rig on your way to the next park, i.e.: leave SI and stop at the Soo Locks on the way to TF SP. Trying to recall just how much parking room there may be for a rig, as it's been a while since we have been in the Soo. Usually we only drive through, stopping at the duty free store for a restroom break on our way to the in laws cabin in the bush outside Soo, Ont.

Both the Soo and TF are easily accessibly from SI. The Soo being within an hour, and TF just over an hour if I recall correctly (been a long time since we've been to the Falls).

On Mackinac Island, the Murray Hotel has the best fudge in our opinion. And the Mustang Lounge has pretty good burgers, reasonablly priced the last time we were there. If you make it to Mackinaw City, the Keybole Bar & Grill has awesome hot wings if you like wings!!! A sweet flavor, with a sneaky kick! And great onion rings!!! Clydes Burgers in SI, and I don't recall the name, but a pretty good burger place in the Soo if it's still there.

Hope the planning goes well, and you have a great trip!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:08 AM   #3

UP

We m just returned from a 10 day trip from Fort Wayne IN. to the U>P><

Great trip, made our way all the way to Copper Harbor, Drop down off Brockway MT. into Copper Harbor you leave all your Tech at home. No cell phone , TV, Radio, But what BEAUTY, Fort Wilkins SP is great nice sites and plenty to do for a few days Check it out if you have the time
Attached Thumbnails
top81.png  
sobuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelwithkids View Post
Looking for insight for those of you familiar with the UP of MI. Just purchased our new 2017 Jayco and our starting plans and hope to start getting reservations over the next few months for a trip the end of June 2017.

We are planning to do 2 nights at each of the following....

St Ignace SP
Tahquamenon Falls SP
Munising Park
Porcupine Mt SP

Thoughts? Too much moving around? Any suggestions on any centrally located campground s?

We plan on visiting the following if this helps--
Mackinaw Island
Soo locks
Whitefish
Tahquamenon Falls
Pictured Rocks
And the Porkies

Thanks for any input!

What model Jayco did you buy?

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:39 PM   #5

We did a similar trip summer of 2015. We started at Straits State Park just over the Big Mac bridge in St. Ignace, nice campground, large grocery store near by. We used it as home base for four days, the boat dock to Mackinaw Island is a few miles away, drove one hour the next day to the Soo Locks in Sault Saint Marie, its free to walk in and watch the freighters going through the locks. We were going to drive 2.5 hours each way to Tahquamenon Falls but passed on it this trip, the falls are pretty but not much else to do around the park. Next stop was Munising Tourist Park Campground which is run by the city for four days, very nice park right on Lake Superior just a few miles out of town. The other campgrounds in Munising are terrible and not near the water, read reviews. The west end of Tourist Park has the nicer sites and the new bath house, check out their web site and look at the map. Pictured rocks is the main attraction, you can rent boats, take a kayak trip, or take the boat tour. We had our own boat and spent one day when the lake was calm enough to go exploring, its such a beautiful National Park. Another day we drove to Marquette about an hour west and toured the Superior Dome, its the largest wooden dome building in the world. Thats as far west as the trip went, you may want to check out the Silver City area for camping, its very close to the entrance to the porkies.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:25 PM   #6

We did that a few years back, but took 2 weeks and hit a few extra places. Nice relaxing trip! Everything is a bit slower up there, and that's a good thing!

I think you have it covered well. You could spend more time at Porcupine, if you like hiking. If you decide to leave the prior campground or stay late, you'd still likely get a spot. I don't think Porcupine ever fills up (but I wouldn't trust me on that).

One place I would STRONGLY recommend you add into your trip is "Kitch-iti-kipi" = The Big Spring. It is a 2 hour stop by on your way through from east to west, or on your way home. Not much to it, but it's very pretty and extremely unique. Never seen anything quite like it. They have a big raft that you board and pull yourself across the lake. You can see 40' down to the bottom and watch the sand boil where the spring is "springing" and see all the huge trout swimming around. And you have to get some ice cream after you are done!!

Copper Harbor is worth the trip, but you'd need a couple days to add it in. It's beautiful up there. They have Great 4th of July fireworks, a small parade and a fire department corn roast. We really enjoyed it up there.

There is also a historic Steel Mill near the South central portion that was interesting. I believe it is Fayetteville State Park. I found it interesting, however we had visited a similar one in Pennsylvania before. It just amazes me how they made steel before stream power or electricity. Again, I think you'd need to add a day for this.

Enjoy your trip!!
Old 10-10-2016, 08:39 PM   #7

We went to the UP this year. Stayed in a private campground near Newberry for the first leg and it was close to the falls, the locks and eastern UP, then we went to Baraga SP and got caught in a severe weather issue with a power outage but saw the Keewenaw peninsula, Ontanogan and the Porkies for the second part then went down to Gladstone before heading back to troll country (have to be a troll to understand that one). It was a wonderful time and my wife's first time north of the bridge.
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry G. View Post
What model Jayco did you buy?

After looking at everything from the new Hummingbirds, hybrids, fivers and everything in between we settled on the Jayflight 23rb. We liked the bigger bathroom and will be comfortable for the 2 of us plus the dog and still room for our 2 almost grown college age kids if they tag along with us.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:43 PM   #9

Thank you all for the tips and insight.

Munising Tourist Park is now taking reservations for 2017 so we want to go ahead and get that tied down . We will make the other SP reservations when they open up 6 months before. Looking forward to the great outdoors in the UP.

Old 11-08-2016, 03:59 PM   #10

Taq falls now has a brewery at the Upper Falls. The hike between falls is good exercise and enjoying a cold brew when done is satisfying.

BrentJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelwithkids View Post
Thank you all for the tips and insight.

Munising Tourist Park is now taking reservations for 2017 so we want to go ahead and get that tied down . We will make the other SP reservations when they open up 6 months before. Looking forward to the great outdoors in the UP.

It all depends on what you're looking for, but Munising Tourist park was a bit too much of an RV - Parking Lot type park for us. Yes, it is right on the water, but we looked at that and then chose to stay at USFS Bay Furnace Campground which is close to Munising and had camping spots right on the Lake's edge and also has seclusion, trees and separation between campsites. Also has the historic Iron Furnace there to see. No electricty though. But it is a beautify campground.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote