Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-21-2016, 03:31 PM   #1

Utah highways 14 or 143 with travel trailer?

We'll be going from the Cedar City, UT area on I-15 to Hwy 12 (Bryce Canyon) pulling a 30' travel trailer this May. I'd like to take one of these scenic routes (14 or 143) over the mountains to Hwy. 89. Neither looks too curvy on Google Earth, but I don't know about grades. If I take my time, would either of these two roads be ok pulling a trailer? Sounds like the western slopes are steeper than the eastern ones, so I'd be going up the steeper side. I'd also like to camp a couple of nights on one of these highways; maybe Cedar Breaks, Panguitch Lake, or Navajo Lake areas. Are either of these two routes doable? I've traveled lots of mountainous roads and am not squeamish. Thanks for your help.
2015 Jayco Whitehawk 27DSRL
2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost w/MaxTow & HD Payload
Nights camped in 2015 - 65; 2016 - 61
edwardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 04:42 PM   #2

I've pulled a 30' TT and a Motorcycle pulling a pop up trailer on 14 before with no issues. I would also take 12 east from 89, beautiful landscape and 12 is a good road. At one point on 12 your on the very top of a mountain, two lane road, about a mile across with drop offs on both sides, really invigorating ! Enjoy your trip.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:12 PM   #3

Create the route (using the directions button) in Google Earth and right click on this route. You can get an elevation view that shows slopes and elevation gains. Wish Google maps had this feature!