Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-03-2014, 06:21 AM   #1

Virginia Campground Recommendations?

I'm looking to do a family camping trip in August to Virginia in the Shenendoah Valley area and we prefer campgrounds that are wooded and the sites arn't on top of one another. Does anyone have any recommendations of a campground that is nice and meets what we're looking for? I'd like to hear some suggestions. Thank you.

Adk Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:00 AM   #2

We thoroughly enjoyed Jellystone at Luray last year....going back sometime this season. Our only complaint was the WIFI. Well maintained facility offering open air and wooded camping....Luray Caverns, canoeing / rafting / kayaking and Zip Lines nearby. If you go...plan your travel down the Shenandoah River....the mountain pass could be nerve racking.

Toured the Luray KOA as well...wooded, but too tight and muddy for my taste
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:49 PM   #3

We live in the Shenandoah Valley so here are a few places we have camped.

1. Jellystone Natural Bridge. Large wooded sites available. Water park, putt putt, swimming lake with beach, etc. Close to... Natural Bridge, Natural Bridge Zoo, Natural Bridge Caverns, Virginia Safari Park, etc. This is myy kids favorite campground. http://www.campnbr.com/

2. Walnut Hills KOA. Wooded Sites available although the sites are not huge. Pool and Fishing Lake. Nice Quiet Campground not to far from the highway.
http://koa.com/campgrounds/staunton/

3. Shenandoah Valley Campground. Wooded Sites available but are more cramped than I prefer. Overall a nice clean campground with lost of fun activities. My kids love that there are bunnies everywhere you can feed.
http://www.campingisfun.com/

4. Natural Chimneys Campground. Large Wooded Sites available. The sites are more rustic so they are not as level as at other campgrounds. Few Full Hooks. We camp here when we want a quiet relaxing weekend.
https://www.co.augusta.va.us/Index.aspx?page=617

This will be our second season with our camper and we hope to venture out more this year. If you are looking for a Campground with a lot for the kids to do and many attractions close by you can't beat Jellystone Natural Bridge IMHO. Hope this helps.
jtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:15 AM   #4

Thanks JTaylor,until reading your post I was leaning towards Shenandoah valley CG but instead will look into 1 and 4. Just curious do you know anything about Bolar Mountain Rec Area CG? That looks like my kind of camping.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:07 AM   #5

Lake Moomaw is great. We usually make day trips because we are fairly close. We have never camped there. I have a friend that camps at Bolar Mountain every summer and he said that the bathhouses have been recently renovated and are nice. The only disadvantage you have at most state parks is that you will be limited on hook-ups. All that will be available at Bolar Mountain is electric hookup. It all depends on the type of camping you like to do. Since we have young kids we like to have a lot of amenities so we can concentrate on family time instead of worrying if the tanks are full. If it was just me and the DW we would just relax by the lake and take it easy. If you plan on going to Bolar Mountain book it as soon as you can. It fills up pretty quick and I would expect it to fill faster this year with the amount of rain fall we have had. Hope this helps. One of the great things about living in the Shenandoah Valley is that there are loads of campgrounds to visit. The problem is that I don't have enough time to visit them all. I'm sure that whatever campground you select your family will have a memorable trip. A friend of my has a saying "If everything goes right then you won't remember the trip". We have had some great adventures and most of the time nothing goes as planned.
jtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:27 AM   #6

Thanks for the tips JT.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:12 PM   #7

good info. thanks for sharing!
Old 05-19-2014, 10:04 AM   #8

What kind of camp sites are you looking for? Myself, I like the National Forest and State Park campgrounds. If you don’t need full hook-ups or satellite, wi-fi etc they are very nice. Sherando Lake is National Forest and very nice. Wooded and private Electric only. Douthat State Park has water/electric and also wooded. Shenandoah River State Park is nice, but they clear cut the trees to build the campground. The sites are decently spread out, but with no mature trees there is little shade or privacy.
As far as a private campground, Endless Caverns is nice. Water/electric/sewer on all sites. Some of the sites down low are close, but the farther up the hill you go the better. All the roads are gravel. Some complain about that but it doesn’t bother us. IF you check it out, request that they waive their bogus “luxury tax”!
Old 05-19-2014, 01:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
What kind of camp sites are you looking for? Myself, I like the National Forest and State Park campgrounds. If you don’t need full hook-ups or satellite, wi-fi etc they are very nice. Sherando Lake is National Forest and very nice. Wooded and private Electric only. Douthat State Park has water/electric and also wooded. Shenandoah River State Park is nice, but they clear cut the trees to build the campground. The sites are decently spread out, but with no mature trees there is little shade or privacy.
As far as a private campground, Endless Caverns is nice. Water/electric/sewer on all sites. Some of the sites down low are close, but the farther up the hill you go the better. All the roads are gravel. Some complain about that but it doesn’t bother us. IF you check it out, request that they waive their bogus “luxury tax”!
I prefer like you National Forests and State Parks.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:52 PM   #10

We really like the Luray KOA. Pull thrus were spacious and views pretty. Not exactly a deeply wooded campground.
livelylittlecampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:57 PM   #11

Here is a link to a blog post (with photos) that will give you a very good idea of what the Luray KOA is like.

http://livelylittlecampers.com/2013/...et-your-match/

Happy Travels!
livelylittlecampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:30 PM   #12

Todd lake is worth checking out, no hookups but nice shower facilities. Water and dump site available. Rustic, quiet, wooded. Not many sites, and they don't take reservations. But sounds closer to what you are looking for.
skylarkva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #13

Forgot about Todd Lake! It is nice. Fills up quick on summer weekends though!