Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
All the National Parks have a trip planner on their websites.
Helps you to know when is good times to go, average weather, pet policies etc.
Our trip was Dictated by having to have reservations in or around the National Parks and Lake Tahoe.
Really popular places usually require reservations, especially once school is out.

Safe travels.

PS: We loved our 3 week trip to PA last year. What a wonderful state to visit and such a diverse combination of interesting areas to visit.

Best regards,

Southwest, Ohio
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #12
I just spotted this thread and wanted to add a couple of things. My family of 5 did the drive out west a few years ago and loved it. Regarding Custer State Park...be VERY sure which roads you take if you're pulling any trailer. There are tunnels there that will not permit a trailer to go into. There are campgrounds in the park, but also nearby. I can't remember the one we used, but it wasn't in the park, just nearby. The kids loved it...huge pool, water slide, etc. While we would have liked to have all our camping on the trip more remote, the kids needed to have more of a mix of things...the pool and especially the water slide was a hit. Anyhow, if you google some Custer State Park area campgrounds I'm sure you'll find it. If you go to Custer, be sure to do the drive (without trailer) on the wildlife loop around dusk. The buffalo will be near the roads you'll be driving on...kids will love how close the buffalo are to the car.
Enjoy your planning and your trip!

Sanali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #13
We did this a few years back with our kids. We live in KY and our trip was also 3 weeks. We went to Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower, Custer Battlefield, Cody Wyoming, Yellowstone NP, Salt lake City, Bryce NP, Zion NP, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Mesa Verde and then home. I can tell you that to do all that in 3 weeks there will be several very long driving days. I am talking 10-12 hours and on this trip we were in a car and not pulling a camper. You would see a lot but not spend much time in any one place. I think the longest stay we had was in Yellowstone for 3 nights. Everyone is different but if we would eliminate parts of the trip it would have been the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas. We have been back to Yellowstone several times since and I can tell you that if you can get there Cody Wyoming you will want to go to the Cody Night Rodeo. Great show.

Ed Brodt is offline   Reply With Quote