Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #1

West Virginia

We are thinking of heading to West Virginia in a couple of weeks. Any campground or activities advice anyone can pass along?
Farmer Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #2

Dave

If you could define a general area your heading to that might help narrow down some suggestions...just remember, your heading to the "Mountain State"....your rig will be tested :-)....(I don't live in WV - but it's part of my territory)
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #3

Well I would consider the Harper's Ferry area if you are interested in history. You can visit the building in which John Brown made his stand and was captured by Robert E. Lee who was in the Union Army at the time. If you are more into nature about any of the state parks are very nice. I have been to Blackwater Falls, Pipestem, Watoga, Beech Fork, Canaan Valley, Holly River, Cass (for the train ride up the mountain) and a few others that I can't think of right now. If you were going to be here next week there are a lot of festivities in Charleston (state capitol) and some other areas for the state's sesquicentennial celebration. If you look on the Internet you will see that my recommendations are are all over the state. If you could be a little more specific in your interests and the area where you are contemplating I might be able to be more specific in my recommendations. Also if you like this sort of thing they have tours at the Greenbrier Resort of the cold war bunker for the US Congress in White Sulphur Springs and the old WV Penitentiary in Moundsville. I haven't been on either but I have talked to others that said they were really interesting. Blenko Glass in Milton is a very interesting tour ( I have been through that plant).
Old 06-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #4

West Virginia

We go atv'ing to hatfield McCoy trail system (southeastern wv) and you will certainly get into some hills. Nothing like the Rockies etc, but there r some good climbs. Atv and whitewater rafting r one two in tourism dollars for the state...as such, lots of different places to do that. Lots of history too.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:49 AM   #5

I completely forgot about Hatfield & McCoy. There are a ton of things regarding this bit of Americana history. Here is the Hatfield cemetery near Sarah Ann, WV. As gtsum2 mentioned there are many opportunities for white water rafting and the ATV activity is a huge revenue stream for WV. I know when they release water from the dam on the Gauley River you can't hardly stir them with a stick.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
Site Team

The Exhibition Coal Mine in Beckley gives tours of an underground coal mine. The guides on the tours are veteran miners. If you've never been underground in a coal mine, the educational value alone will make it worthwhile; especially for school age children.

The website says there is also a Campground there consisting of 17 back-in only, full-hookup sites with 30A electric at $22.00/night- A bargain in my book considering that state parks here in PA cost much more than that for just an electric only site.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:42 PM   #7

Native West Virginian here. Spouse and I have camped WV our entire lives. Rbrumfiled gave you a good run down but if you are a little more specific, I am sure folks could provide more specifics for you.

Number of Nights Camping - 2013 26RKS
2014 - 18, 2013 - 11, 2012 - 11
Number of Nights Camping - 2012 17Z
2012 - 10, 2011 - 13

Countless nights as kids and young adults in a pop-up, hardside TT and several tents!
campingdog is offline   Reply With Quote