Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #1

Western Maryland/ Happer's Ferry area campgrounds

DW says she would like to go camping over the Memorial Day Weekend in the Western Maryland(Hagerstown, Harpers Ferry) area....Anyone have any suggestions? Appreciate the help
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #2

This place is in Western Md http://www.littleorleanscampground.com/ I tent camped there a few times. Nice and quiet, but off the beaten path so to speak.
Turn2Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
Site Team

Do you have any preferences or requirements? It would help narrow your search and help eliminate recommendations of campgrounds that won't fit your needs. While there is a lot of criteria you can provide, even some simple hints like what utilities you need/prefer, what ammenities, do you have pets, special needs, what activities, sightseeing. All these and more can help members suggest a campground that will suit your needs. For example, If you posted that you preferred a campground with full hookups, I certainly wouldn't suggest a state park that offers only electric. Help us help you.

The recommendation for Little Orleans Campground is a good suggestion, but a little far from Hagerstown, and even further from Harpers Ferry. It's 25 miles just from the I-70/I-81 interchange to where I-68 starts and another 14 miles I-68 to exit 68 that will get you to Little Orleans, plus what ever mileage it is from the interchange to the campground.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #4

[QUOTE=FPM III;121953]Do you have any preferences or requirements? It would help narrow your search and help eliminate recommendations of campgrounds that won't fit your needs. While there is a lot of criteria you can provide, even some simple hints like what utilities you need/prefer, what ammenities, do you have pets, special needs, what activities, sightseeing. All these and more can help members suggest a campground that will suit your needs. For example, If you posted that you preferred a campground with full hookups, I certainly wouldn't suggest a state park that offers only electric. Help us help you.

The recommendation for Little Orleans Campground is a good suggestion, but a little far from Hagerstown, and even further from Harpers Ferry. It's 25 miles just from the I-70/I-81 interchange to where I-68 starts and another 14 miles I-68 to exit 68 that will get you to Little Orleans, plus what ever mileage it is from the interchange to the campground.[/QUOTE

Thanks FPM...yes I do require full hook-up, Full Hook-up being EWS....and we do have pets, two labs. Really just wanted to do a little site seeing and perhaps some day hikes while we're out. Other than that just a nice quiet campground. Thanks again for any help
Old 03-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #5
Site Team

Thanks. With what you provided, that helps tremendously.

I've never camped there, but there's a KOA http://www.harpersferrykoa.com/index.php right outside of Harpers Ferry. While KOA's have a tendency to be "pricey", they generally adhere to standards of quality and cleanliness so there are usually no "surprises". However, I think it could be difficult to find a "nice quiet campground" anywhere on a holiday weekend as almost all fill up. Just making a Reservation might be tough being that Memorial Day weekend is only a little more than two months away and the full hookup sites are often the first to sell out. Good Luck.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
Thanks. With what you provided, that helps tremendously.

I've never camped there, but there's a KOA http://www.harpersferrykoa.com/index.php right outside of Harpers Ferry. While KOA's have a tendency to be "pricey", they generally adhere to standards of quality and cleanliness so there are usually no "surprises". However, I think it could be difficult to find a "nice quiet campground" anywhere on a holiday weekend as almost all fill up. Just making a Reservation might be tough being that Memorial Day weekend is only a little more than two months away and the full hookup sites are often the first to sell out. Good Luck.
I live 2 minutes from the Harper's Ferry KOA. While we have never camped there, we find the sites are too close for our liking. We have gone there for propane several times. Staff have always been friendly and the sites appear to be clean. It is located right outside of the HF National Historic park and right on the main route (340) to get to MD and VA. So, location here may be to your benefit depending on what you plan to do in the area.

Number of Nights Camping - 2013 26RKS
2014 - 18, 2013 - 11, 2012 - 11
Number of Nights Camping - 2012 17Z
2012 - 10, 2011 - 13

Countless nights as kids and young adults in a pop-up, hardside TT and several tents!
campingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #7

Thanks guys, we did check Harper's Ferry KOA....as you said, they were booked solid that weekend. The reason we're so late booking is we just bought the trailer, ironic because I booked a spot in Cherrystone Campground for August a full month before we ever got the trailer ...... maybe we'll wait til later in the summer, or even the fall to go to that particular spot. We'll find something, maybe look down around here.

Thanks again for the help.

Oh and I know it's not Happers Ferry....it had been a long long day
Old 03-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #8
Site Team

I knew you "fat fingered" Harpers Ferry because you had it spelled correctly in your posting. Let's just say you were a little "haphazard" in your typing.

If you haven't already, try the Maryland Association of Campgrounds. Maybe you'll be able to find a campground with availability there.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #9

FPM/Camping Dog.
Thanks for your replies. I ended up going a little East around Hamburg PA, Appalachian RV resort...pretty good reviews. They had one site left....WEC no sewer...I figured I better take it....
RV lesson # book Holiday Weekends way in advance...I have friends who had their entire camping season booked in Dec.....when they told me I thought that was very odd....not now.

Thanks Again