Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2012, 07:54 AM   #1

Why Do Parks Charge Extra For Each Child?

Hello all,
I just want to say that I'm fed up with being penalized for having more kids, and it's not like we're the Duggers, we only have 4...and at many campgrounds it means that we have to pay TWICE the price of someone with only one child! I'm fed up, and now when I'm planning our outings I will not select parks who will charge for each child, or who at least wave some of the additional fees...
I've had so-so results contacting campgrounds ahead of time and asking them to give us a break, and asking them how they justify the extra cost to families with more kids, and I've heard stupid comments like "the more kids using my playground, the more wear on the slide!"...ARE YOU KIDDING??!!...when is the last time you've heard of a slide being replaced because it got worn out???
I can maybe see charging more if the park is a resort that takes your kids and entertains them for the day, and it means they must hire more staff (like a Yogi/Jellystone) park, but EVEN THEY waved the fee for one kids. Many parks have nothing more than a playground and charge more. As FAA as the most common reasoning that they use more water and electricity, and create more sewer...$10 MORE PER NIGHT???!!!! It's camping, how much water do they use? And the trailer lights use the same electricity no matter how many people are using them...what a bunch of bs. Well as you can tell, I'm getting fed up, and I'm wondering if Good SAMs and other camping groups should maybe help us family campers and take a stand or at least praise those parks who are family friendly, and don't discriminate against families with more than one or two dependant children.
2006 Dodge 1500 MegaCab
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #2

Because they can. As a new TT owner and searching the interent for parks, I an assure you, we skip over park with extra charges, weither that's charges for extra bodies or wifi... it's all inclusive or we move on.
dddire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #3

I don't have kids, but I have 2 small dogs. I get the extra fee non logical reasons, so again I guess it is because they can and people will pay it. At least they are not giving you a 2 kid limit !!!
09Jayco29D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #4

I avoid KOA's for that very reason.
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #5

Extra Kid Charge

We Normally stay at State parks which are a flat fee but we occasionally stay at a private park and I have asked why I have to pay extra with same dumb answers. We do not stay at KOA fo that reason. My kids are 10 and 13 and and don't use playground equipment.
ebis63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #6

Here in Manitoba Canada our provincial park service has a very stupid policy. The ask when you register how many are in your family... Their website states that they consider a family to be 4 people. They actually state, that they will not allow more than 6 people to stay on a site, and the six people have to include a grandmother or other older adult family member! The problem for us is that we have 5 children.. So which one should I dump at the side of the road on my way into the park?
Well all I do is fill out the form for the maximum number and then ignor it.. I have never been challenged on it,, and as already stated, we are not really using extra services..
When traveling on the road in the USA we like to stay in state parks if we can.. As most of the ones I have found have a flat rate.
. We also have 2 dogs, so if I am charged $5.00 each for three kids and two dogs, that is $25.00 more per night.. $175.00 per week... so yes.. I agree.. Call ahead, get a flat rate.. Or go elsewhere.

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #7

They will stop charging it as soon as people stop paying it.... Just like some RV Parks that figure they can charge me $60.00/night... ( FOR A PARKING PAD??) oh right they changed the name to Resort... I still can find HOTELS that charge less than that and have a pool... so I pay the hotel their room rate.. stay in my RV and use the hotels pool and bathrooms..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #8

a regional park near our home charges 22 dollars per night with no hookups, plus an 8 dollar fee to reserve a space online, 8 people max. plus 7 dollars to enter the park, 5 dollars each for dogs, a daily fishing charge, plus 10 dollars to launch your boat....welcome to California......this is exactly why we are beginning to do more boondocking... we don't travel much out of california but do other states charge these crazy fees? I understand there must be a charge for maint. etc. but why all this additional bs. we all pay taxes for these facilities, instead of charging extra fees how about trying to manage the money a little better? oh yeah, it's not their money, what am I thinking! having recently retired and now on a fixed income, these additional charges add up and we must compensate elsewhere to find the money. I feel sorry for all of you who have to pay for additional children, but at least it is something your kids will remember and probably something that will become a part of their life stile when they are adults. seems funny, being charged to spend time with your kids, seems like that would be something to be encouraged. sorry about this wandering rant, but feels good to vent to others who understand. in spite of all ....happy camping!
bayleightucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #9

Texas Parks online reservation system asks how many pets you have. I tell them zero. I take my two yorkies and when they are not in the trailer they are on leases and we carry mutt mitts to clean up after them. As long as my dogs are not causing property damage or creating work for the staff, I don't feel compelled to claim them or pay extra for them. If it gets down to that, I'll simply camp somewhere else.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #10

I understand the Max people per camp site and that is generally what I see around here -- They generally have a max of 8 people and you can have a trailer and one tent.

That makes much more sense to me because they are trying to avoid have 25 people on a site....but to charge more per person is a little much IMHO. Now I have been to places that charge "guest" fees of like $4 and that is also reasonable if yo have friends drive in that are not staying on a spot.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #11

Yes, many good points, and I get that they'd want to charge if you bring your kid's friends, or for adult friends that join , but a family should be included in the rate. And I feel that not paying it won't get the message across...there needs to be a clear message sent in my opinion! I encourage everyone to e -mail and question those parks that you pass over because they charge these extra fees for kids, dogs, boat launching, etc... Maybe they'll pay attention!
2006 Dodge 1500 MegaCab
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
Texas Parks online reservation system asks how many pets you have. I tell them zero. I take my two yorkies and when they are not in the trailer they are on leases and we carry mutt mitts to clean up after them. As long as my dogs are not causing property damage or creating work for the staff, I don't feel compelled to claim them or pay extra for them. If it gets down to that, I'll simply camp somewhere else.
Just tell them.. These rant pets these are my children...!

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

Old 05-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #13

One way we have found to save major money and stay in some cute places is to stay in the local town campground. Many small towns have these with water and electric and I have been charged on average about $15.00 flat fee.
We stumbled across one by accident and now I google the towns that we are travelling through.. And if I find a good one.. That's where we stay.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #14

Our local (the few there are) charge a higher rate for their 'kids free' camping compared to the lower cost campgrounds that charge extra but wind up the same cost in the end. (When we camp "local" we tend to have one or more of our grandkids with us)

Although this topic may be a WHOLE 'nother thread...

we are one of the fortunate *few* who have a 'membership' resort campground "local" to us. By the time we pay for eight nights at the local "nice" cg with free kids/pets or 12 nights at the state park, it's paid for our membership fee's for the year. Camping, depending if we are local or traveling, runs around $10 a night, but can be limited to one-three weeks for a stay then a week before you can return to the same cg. If by chance you also have an opportunity to join a "membership" campground that you actually *enjoy* camping at, make sure you purchase a "used" contract. The one we go to affords activities, but we can hike/bike/etc also (win-win for granparents anyhow). PM me if you want more info (maybe I should create a thread for this topic?...Hmmm)

Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:13 AM   #15

We have been seeing something called a use fee at different places. I have never really questioned what this is for and just go ahead and pay it. Its something like two more dollars and for the whole time you are staying???
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote