Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-08-2017, 08:32 PM   #11

Somewhere in NM when we were still tent camping. The tent camping spaces were either next to some seedy looking homes or on the median in a T intersection. We didn't get much sleep that night.

Favorite Book On The Road
Currently Reading Picture of Dorian Gray
Author of Mack Thomas: The Total Beat
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:06 AM   #12

The only "worst" campsite experience we have had was August 2015. We stayed at Custers Gulch RV park and Campground in Custer SD. The owners were very rude and unfriendly people. Changed the rules as they went along and were rude letting you know about it. I posted about it here back in September 2015. Were not allowed to have tabletop candles, Tiki Torches were not allowed unless they were "state inspected", We bought 2 of them at Walmart. There were a few other issues but all these I have mentioned were not in the 1/2 page of rules they handed you at check in. Also, for those of you thinking about staying there, DON'T Check in early. You will be read the riot act and sent away. We saw this first hand. They screamed and yelled at an elderly couple while we were at the office. Treated them like garbage. When they asked for a refund, they were told no. I have periodically checked Trip Advisor since our visit. There are a number of negative reviews dealing with the owners and their shenanigans. It was a beautiful campground, we would never stay there again just because of them. So before you go, check the reviews!

2015 Jayco 24FBS Elite Jay Flight
2013 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4X4 6.0L 3.73 Axle
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer Hitch 10k/1000
Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
But you know those boys will remember that story for the rest of their lives! After all isn't that part of growing up in the boy scouts. Having said that, thank God everything turned out ok and no one was hurt! Great story!
Agree. The local Naval Reserve Student Summer Training Program sends (well used to, it's been a long time) students off to the West Coast for a couple of weeks of intense training each summer. The base is a very short boat trip from the local "buff" beach. Desertion was always a risk. I'm sure that is the best memory for many of the attendees.
bankr63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
We bought 5 acres of land in the middle of nowhere so we'd always have a spot. 5 years later and everything we have ever done to that land has been ripped off, stolen, etc..

My new years reservation this year was to buy more dogs, another rifle, and to find a place where camping is almost always awesome. Makes me miss my backpacking days... I was usually only cussing out myself on those trips.
Ahhh, one of the great advantages to backpacking. Many of the places you end up are occupied by like-minded people if at all. And most don't have surplus weight capacity in their pack for large amounts of alcohol or loud music.

We haven't had a really bad trip worth mentioning so far that wasn't induced by the weather (we've had PLENTY of those). The occasional rowdy neighbor, the odd looking rig here and there, but mostly it's been a good run the last 3 years. I hope it stays that way...

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Ahhh, one of the great advantages to backpacking. Many of the places you end up are occupied by like-minded people if at all. And most don't have surplus weight capacity in their pack for large amounts of alcohol or loud music.

We haven't had a really bad trip worth mentioning so far that wasn't induced by the weather (we've had PLENTY of those). The occasional rowdy neighbor, the odd looking rig here and there, but mostly it's been a good run the last 3 years. I hope it stays that way...
My brother and I always carried 151 rum (more alcohol for the weight) and powdered drink mixes for our backpacking afternoon cocktails. A potful of snow for ice and we were set to wait out the afternoon thunderstorms in the tent, playing Scrabble, sipping a daiquiri, and munching on crackers and cheese. We liked to think that were were "civilized" backpackers.

It's nice to not be so limited these days, but I wouldn't trade the memories for anything.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:59 PM   #16

No real "bad" experiences; we camp exclusively in provincial park campgrounds which have pretty strict rules which we abide by, so we've never had any major problems. But there were a few that made me shake my head, like the guy who started up his diesel and let it run, and the exhaust drifted into my site while I was enjoying my morning coffee. Or the guy who was running his jet-ski up and down the lake repeatedly at 9 a.m. Or the kids who decide that cutting through our campsite is the most direct route to where they want to go.

But there's one that still makes me chuckle to this day. DW had a wedding to go to on the first major long weekend of the year, and I had already made reservations. The heck with that, says I, I'll go solo, just me and our dearly departed husky. So that's what we did, the dog and I. On the same campground loop that we were camping in, someone else had some dogs, but weren't leashed. These dogs were running all over the place and even started sniffing around our site. I didn't want any fights between them and my dog, so I scared them off.

A little while later the park attendant came around. The conversation went something like this:

PA: Did you see any dogs running around here?
Me: Yeah, I think they belong over there.
PA: They're not your dogs?
Me: No, I think they belong to that site over there.
PA: Dogs must be leased at all times.
Me: (looking to where my dog was securely and obviously tied to a tree) Okay.

My husky was at the limit of his 30' of rope, patiently watching us. He just wanted to see what was going on. It must have been one of the strangest conversations I've ever had. Plus, it already said on my camping permit one person and one dog. Not three. I still shake my head when I think about it.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:13 AM   #17
Site Team

Some parks don't consider being tied to a tree, as leashed. Maybe the park attendant was just a poor communicator?

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Some parks don't consider being tied to a tree, as leashed. Maybe the park attendant was just a poor communicator?
Some campgrounds have a maximum length for a leash. IIRC, where we were the camp hosts last summer, the maximum was 8'. Frankly, we were always pleased when dogs were on a restraint of ANY length.

We cautioned many folks to restrain their dogs or the Forest Ranger could issue a ticket. A few did receive tickets for unrestrained dogs, but none for excessive leash length.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:04 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreeb View Post
My brother and I always carried 151 rum (more alcohol for the weight) and powdered drink mixes for our backpacking afternoon cocktails. A potful of snow for ice and we were set to wait out the afternoon thunderstorms in the tent, playing Scrabble, sipping a daiquiri, and munching on crackers and cheese. We liked to think that were were "civilized" backpackers.

It's nice to not be so limited these days, but I wouldn't trade the memories for anything.
Same here. We used to carry a small amount of strong booze. And it doesn't take much when you've been on the trail all day! LOL! Lots of treasured memories for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Some campgrounds have a maximum length for a leash. IIRC, where we were the camp hosts last summer, the maximum was 8'. Frankly, we were always pleased when dogs were on a restraint of ANY length.

We cautioned many folks to restrain their dogs or the Forest Ranger could issue a ticket. A few did receive tickets for unrestrained dogs, but none for excessive leash length.
I've never been bothered for "excessive length" either. We have one of those retractable jobs, and I retract it to about 3' when we come into contact with others, and let it out to the full 15' when we're all alone. Dog likes to have his space to "explore" (read "pee on everything").

As far as within the campsite, we usually leave him unrestrained these days unless there's a lot going on and we need to "tie him out" (never unattended of course). He's so old and slow, I'd have time to set down my drink and saunter over to him before he could make the edge of the campsite! And I'm certainly not fast! LOL!

Dogs roaming free though? That'll ruin a good trip quick.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:11 PM   #20

Around here, no such stipulations exist; leashed is leashed. We always make sure that the other end is tied to something secure, and far enough away that the dog can't reach the road. But still long enough that the dog can get wrapped around every twig, rock, branch and picnic table on the site.

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49 is offline   Reply With Quote