Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-10-2017, 01:37 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49 View Post
Around here, no such stipulations exist; leashed is leashed. We always make sure that the other end is tied to something secure, and far enough away that the dog can't reach the road. But still long enough that the dog can get wrapped around every twig, rock, branch and picnic table on the site.
What to double your fun? Just let two dogs cross their leashes AND get wrapped around every twig, rock, branch and picnic table and each other!

oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:47 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
What to double your fun? Just let two dogs cross their leashes AND get wrapped around every twig, rock, branch and picnic table and each other!
I used to wrap the lead around the bumper of the trailer, till I came out to find the dog wrapped around the sewer hose. Luckily not a mess, but won't take that chance again

2012 Ram CC w/Cummings, SRW and 4.10 rears
Rmgrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:54 PM   #23

Ours had to be this past October. We had just taken delivery of our new TT. We decided to make our maiden voyage to a State Park located close to home. We were able to get the last site available. Got things set up, weather was beautiful and life was great. Across the creek there was a very large family gathering of 15-20 TT’s and RV’s, some double parked, complete with the adults, kids, pets and an assortment of personal motorized toys. Around 8pm it was time for kid’s karaoke complete with amplified speakers. Around 11pm the adults decided it was their turn after a large amount of liquid inhibition. We decided to hit the pillows as an RV pulled in to the site next to ours. At 2am we were rudely awakened by blaring head-banger music like it was right at our door. We tried to brush it off but at 3am, had, had enough! Went over to the RV to find there was no adult supervision to be found and a young kid passed out by a roaring campfire surrounded by beer cans. The wife was able to handily smite the electronic beast that was spewing forth the obnoxious noise. Ah yes, a few hours of serenity. A call to the ranger station told us there were no rangers on duty that weekend and the camp host had moved out earlier that day. Good luck. This is not the camping I remember as a kid. There was respect and courtesy for others. What happened to the posted quiet hours? I’m hoping this year is better.

2017 White Hawk 27DSRL Glacier package
2017 Ford F-250 Lariat 4X4, 6.2L
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49 View Post
No real "bad" experiences; we camp exclusively in provincial park campgrounds which have pretty strict rules which we abide by, so we've never had any major problems. But there were a few that made me shake my head, like the guy who started up his diesel and let it run, and the exhaust drifted into my site while I was enjoying my morning coffee. Or the guy who was running his jet-ski up and down the lake repeatedly at 9 a.m. Or the kids who decide that cutting through our campsite is the most direct route to where they want to go.

But there's one that still makes me chuckle to this day. DW had a wedding to go to on the first major long weekend of the year, and I had already made reservations. The heck with that, says I, I'll go solo, just me and our dearly departed husky. So that's what we did, the dog and I. On the same campground loop that we were camping in, someone else had some dogs, but weren't leashed. These dogs were running all over the place and even started sniffing around our site. I didn't want any fights between them and my dog, so I scared them off.

A little while later the park attendant came around. The conversation went something like this:

PA: Did you see any dogs running around here?
Me: Yeah, I think they belong over there.
PA: They're not your dogs?
Me: No, I think they belong to that site over there.
PA: Dogs must be leased at all times.
Me: (looking to where my dog was securely and obviously tied to a tree) Okay.

My husky was at the limit of his 30' of rope, patiently watching us. He just wanted to see what was going on. It must have been one of the strangest conversations I've ever had. Plus, it already said on my camping permit one person and one dog. Not three. I still shake my head when I think about it.
We also camp in Provincial Parks most of the time - usually they are pretty good - with the exception of Bird's Hill Park more recently.
There is a place just out side the park that does weddings on the weekends in a big wedding tent. Blaring music and such - I may as well camp in the parking lot of a bar. A real let down camping there now.

I always have the dog tied in the site - I have a 100' rope that I tie out so he can reach the edge of the site without leaving it. We go for walks with the 100'. I just wrap it up so he has 10' or so of lead when walking and when we come to a field without any other explorers, I give him the whole 100' and let him check stuff out. Never had a problem with doing that.
Swardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:55 PM   #25

Geesh, reading some of these stories makes me feel pretty lucky!

One time I was camping in a state park in my RV. Most of the other campers were in tents. My truck was backed up to the front of my RV as it usually is. It was after dark, and I had to get into my truck to get the dog's bed out. My truck has automatic headlights that come on when I unlock the doors, and I realized it was pointed directly at another camp site where the occupants were cooking around a campfire with little to no light in their site, not even a lantern, they were using small flashlights to go about their chores. When I hit that button, I lit up their world pretty well. Nothing to be done about it, and I turned my lights off as fast as humanly possible. I felt terrible for having done that.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:52 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Geesh, reading some of these stories makes me feel pretty lucky!

One time I was camping in a state park in my RV. Most of the other campers were in tents. My truck was backed up to the front of my RV as it usually is. It was after dark, and I had to get into my truck to get the dog's bed out. My truck has automatic headlights that come on when I unlock the doors, and I realized it was pointed directly at another camp site where the occupants were cooking around a campfire with little to no light in their site, not even a lantern, they were using small flashlights to go about their chores. When I hit that button, I lit up their world pretty well. Nothing to be done about it, and I turned my lights off as fast as humanly possible. I felt terrible for having done that.
I changed the settings on my truck so the lights do not come on when I unlock it.

I felt bad one time when I did the same thing to someone.
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swardy View Post
We also camp in Provincial Parks most of the time - usually they are pretty good - with the exception of Bird's Hill Park more recently.
There is a place just out side the park that does weddings on the weekends in a big wedding tent. Blaring music and such - I may as well camp in the parking lot of a bar. A real let down camping there now.
I'm familiar with that place. Whenever we're at Birds Hill, we always go there for breakfast on Saturdays, since it's so close to the campground. We've never experienced a wedding there, though, since we're always at the northern end of the campground, and far enough away from the place so we don't hear anything. Nice farmer's market during the summer too.

The place where I had the experience with the unleashed dogs and the strange park attendant was Black Lake Campground in Nopiming PP. Dealing with the park attendants and taking a look at the seasonal campsites there was almost like a scene out of Deliverance. Just needed a banjo. Beautiful campground at the end of 30 miles of bad road, otherwise.

Quote:
We've actually done that. A few times we camped with some friends who had the next site over, and they had two dogs of their own. So we strung a line between two trees, tied the handle part of the leashes to the collars and clipped the other end on the line, so they could slide back and forth. Well, all three dogs liked to wrestle with each other, so you can imagine how long it took for the leashes to get tangled.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:50 PM   #28

Another incident comes to mind. Many years ago my ex-wife and I were tenting at another nearby campground. I was sitting in the lawn chair reading a book, and had the window in the truck rolled down to listen to the stereo. It wasn't loud; anyone walking by on the road might have been able to hear it but wouldn't be able to make out the song.

In the site beside us, a family was camping in a pop-up. The mother comes over and not too politely "asks" me to turn it down. Not wanting a confrontation, and not really caring one way or the other, I apologize and comply. Then, for the rest of the day, I listen to her, her husband, and their darling child have knock-down, drag-out arguments about pretty much everything. After listening to that for an hour or two, I turned my stereo back up to where it was.

They were gone the next day.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #29

Our kids were taught from a young age that nobody else wants to hear them when we are camping. If talking, music, whatever is audible or bothersome to neighbours it's too loud.
We don't camp to listen to loud music, drunk neighbours or out of control kids and dogs
suzieshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:06 AM   #30

If there isn't a maximum length why have a leash rule?

Favorite Book On The Road
Currently Reading Picture of Dorian Gray
Author of Mack Thomas: The Total Beat
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote