Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-03-2011, 01:32 AM   #1

Yosemite Camping

Anyone out there with experience camping in Yosemite with a TT larger than 24 ft? I realize it can be very difficult to get reservations, so I want to be ready when they release the next group of spring dates.

How conservative are the campsites vehicle length measurements? Yosemite's Rangers openly say they don't enforce vehicle length limits as long as you can get all the wheels on the pad then you are good to go. My issue is with the fact that all of the sites rated for a 35 ft RV limit a TT to 24 ft. I understand that a MH is easier to back in vs a trailer, but I feel I should easliy get a 26BH (29ft overall) in one of these sights.

What do you the experts think?

Am I being overly optomistic?

Thanks Jon
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #2

Wow, no Yosemite experience out there. I thought for sure with the popularity of Yosemite someone around here would have tried getting a TT on site that is advertised as smaller than required.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #3

I have never been there. I try to not leave any money in California.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:28 PM   #4

My family and I camped there in 2004. I had a 26' class C greyhawk at the time and traveled with several friends who had travel trailers between the 26-31 foot length. None of us had any problems getting into our campsites. I believe we stayed at the lower pines camp ground in Yosemite Valley. I also saw several large diesel pushers camping.

BTW.....by far my favorite camping trip with my family. The Yosemite trip alone was worth the purchase of our motorhome.....my kids were small at the time, we stayed for a week, all we had were bicycles to get around and had a blast! Good luck!
luckydad71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #5

Sorry Jon, I've been offline and missed your inquiry. Both times we "camped" up in Yosemite actually was with our 17' Casita and then it was once on the West entrance and the other time near the South entrance. I remember seeing longer tt's up there when we did go up for the day. I see that you are considering a Spring trip... if you decide to do Summer, those sites tend to fill up as soon as they open up for reservations. Both times we traveled through, it was within a few months of going that we planned it so all sites were already booked for the summer (one of the reasons we stayed outside the park). One thing to keep in mind if you don't have a generator, there are no electric sites (at least not the last time we went) so plan cooking accordingly and have your batteries charged. If you have a pet in the summer, you may need to be aware of day time temps in the tt if you take off to walk any of the trails. Hope this helps a little

What part of the central Cali are you from?
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:11 PM   #6

Thanks for the Replies. We are looking forward to exposing our kids to the Nat'l Parks. We are fortunate to live to 90 miles from Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia NPs.

On Wed 4/15-5/15 reservations open for Yosemite, fingers crossed.

Healthi, thanks for the other tips. TT camping is all new to us, we were tent campers till a couple months ago. We are just south of Fresno...where on the Central Coast are you? We love that area of CA and have spent lots of time there
Old 01-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #7

We have no experience for camping in the valley floor only Wawona. We live in Bakersfield and like the shorter route entering Yosemite thru the 41. We have a 34' 5th wheel and like the bigger spaces of Wawona.

Try Campsitephotos.com and has pictures of most campsites which will give you more insight.
jcghill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #8

Thanks Jcghill. We made a reservation in lower pines. I realize the valley floor is crowded, but we have one of the larger sites...hopefully it will work for us. I looked at Wawona, if the floor is crowded and uncomfortable we will try Wawona for our next trip.