Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-17-2016, 10:56 PM   #1

Advice on solar install for next season

I am trying to decide on roof mounted panels or portable panels, and have been reading a lot on both. I am hoping for feedback from some members who have had experience using BOTH style of panels, and can share which style they preferred and why.
Khans Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:06 AM   #2
Site Team

You can go to the forums RVing with SOLAR social group. There is information regarding members that have added SOLAR. There is also battery information, step by step installations.... a lot of good information

It also depends if your TT spends most of its time in the shade or sun..
The setting up and taking down...
The possibility of damage due to a sudden gust of wind
and of course theft, while you leave for an outing

I mounted mine on the roof and have no complaints what so ever.

You may also want to pick up a Digital Voltage Display so you can monitor your batteries voltage level. When the batteries drop to 12.0VDC, it is time for you to turn off all your 12Volt things. Below are a few suggestions.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
BATTERY - AMP-Voltge Digital Display - AMAZON Picture.jpg   ELECTRONICS - 12VDC Voltage Display.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:17 AM   #3

Thanks Don, I joined that group. Lots more good reading to come. have been reading a lot about the pros and cons of both setups. With my camping locations portable would offer better opportunities for sun but I am leaning towards roof mounted for swcurity. Still hoping to hear from a member or two who has used both setups.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:51 AM   #4
Site Team

You can go to the above gold bar and select search use "portable solar" in your search and you will get a good number of answers to your question
Don
Old 12-18-2016, 09:15 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khans Keeper View Post
Thanks Don, I joined that group. Lots more good reading to come. have been reading a lot about the pros and cons of both setups. With my camping locations portable would offer better opportunities for sun but I am leaning towards roof mounted for swcurity. Still hoping to hear from a member or two who has used both setups.
Thanks for joining the RVing with SOLAR social group. As for what to do with your SOLAR panels, you may want to go half and half. Mount a panel on the roof and if you need another keep it portable. Some of the members use this option. The panels need to be the same MFR/model/output to be used together. Odds are, if you decide to try portable first you will eventually end up mounting them on the roof.

ENJOY!!!

Don
Old 12-18-2016, 09:21 AM   #6

I had mine set up as a portable and quickly moved it to the roof. I couldn't handle the setup, storage and tripping over the wires. I guess if you're worried about the shade, you could buy more panels to make up for it. As long as they're all on the roof you don't have to worry about them.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khans Keeper View Post
I am trying to decide on roof mounted panels or portable panels, and have been reading a lot on both. I am hoping for feedback from some members who have had experience using BOTH style of panels, and can share which style they preferred and why.
Bottom line, with roof mounted solar panels, you have to park in the sun, sorry no parking under the trees to keep the camper cool. You also cannot (normally) angle the panels, nor track the sun to get the best efficiency. End result is you need an array that is about twice the size, as well as more battery capacity with a roof mounted system.
Having said that, it is not really practical to have an array much larger than 200W with a portable system. The panels are just too heavy and bulky. Of course, since you can get away with an array that is about 1/2 the size using a portable system, 200W works surprising well.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:59 PM   #8

I started out with 120 watt portable suitcase type panels and I liked it very much, get to camp, set out the panels and just plug it in. This system was great but then I added two six volt batteries and then added two 100 watt solar panels on the roof. The reason I did this is because I travel and boondock a lot and this rooftop system is charging all day long as I drive and my batteries are kept full. If I get to a shaded campsite I never worry about it
and then I set out the portable unit in the sun which has long cables. Works for me.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinforthefinish View Post
I started out with 120 watt portable suitcase type panels and I liked it very much, get to camp, set out the panels and just plug it in. This system was great but then I added two six volt batteries and then added two 100 watt solar panels on the roof. The reason I did this is because I travel and boondock a lot and this rooftop system is charging all day long as I drive and my batteries are kept full. If I get to a shaded campsite I never worry about it
and then I set out the portable unit in the sun which has long cables. Works for me.
That's a good idea--having both roof and portable. If you know you're going to be in the sun, you don't even have to take the portable panel(s) with you. Besides, look at all the extra stuff you get to buy!
Old 12-19-2016, 12:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinforthefinish View Post
Excellent idea! I've thought of fixed/portable solar panels as an either/or situation, but the're NOT! When we incorporate solar, we will be following your lead. Thanks!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:26 PM   #11

I got a 200 watt Renogy starter kit and used it as a portable system in 2016, with two 6V Trojans. I was extremely happy with it in Glacier. Our first site was very shaded and I even had problems keeping the portables in the sun. Second site was all sun and either would work well. I wired the solar on the side to the charge controller in order to hook the panels up through that connector. I didn't find it problematic or inconvenient to have portables. If you search my user name, you'll find more details and pictures.

I'm not one that worries too much about things walking away. I don't see 2 panels being worth the effort.

With all that said, I'm considering getting 2 more panels to install in the roof. The reason behind this is that I am considering installing an inverter primarily to run the half fridge outside (to keep the beer cold). This would require the charging while traveling that portable won't do. If I do this, I'll add 200 watts to the roof and keep the other 200 to use as portable when we are in the shade. I think this would be the best of both worlds.

Now if I could only find out how much juice that half fridge pulls so that I can size an inverter.......

Good luck! It's cool to put a system together and see full batteries every night!
Old 12-19-2016, 08:37 PM   #12

I really appreciate the feedback so far and I think you have all hit the nail on the head. I don't need to choose one or the other. I think I will put 2x 100w panels on the roof, and get another 2x 100w folding panels for a total of 400w. Best of both worlds. I will be sure to update once I make the purchases and begin install some time after the holidays.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:31 PM   #13

When I ordered the 200 watt starter kit from Renogy, the two panels came in one box with foam end caps and a foam sheet separating the panels.

I added hinges between the two panels but still store it in the same box they were shipped in with the foam sheet in between them. It fits perfect in the rear storage compartment in my trailer with the blue tote on top of it.

Cheaper than buying suitcase panels if you have the storage room.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
When I ordered the 200 watt starter kit from Renogy, the two panels came in one box with foam end caps and a foam sheet separating the panels.

I added hinges between the two panels but still store it in the same box they were shipped in with the foam sheet in between them. It fits perfect in the rear storage compartment in my trailer with the blue tote on top of it.

Cheaper than buying suitcase panels if you have the storage room.
Thanks for the solid advice. I am probably going with Renogy. Planned on two fixed and two suitcases, but I am now leaning toward your hinged method in lieu of the folders to save the cash, and it gives me the option of mounting them later if situation changes.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:26 PM   #15

Here's pictures of how I have the panels.
Attached Thumbnails
20160716_181345.jpg   20160716_181036.jpg