Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2017, 04:50 PM   #1

Is this solar panel worth it?

I might acquire a solar panel from work. It is made by BP Solar. It is only 20 watts but I just want to use it when I am away from the camper for a week or so just to keep the batteries topped off. I will have to purchase it for $20. I am not sure if maybe 20 is too much since i can get a new 20 watt panel for 40 and it would be brand new. I do plan on getting a charge controller for it. Here is the link for the specs. BP Solar Panel 20Watt 12Volt (Polycrystalline) [SX20U] : Solar power : - Energy Matters Australia
steiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:21 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiny View Post
I might acquire a solar panel from work. It is made by BP Solar. It is only 20 watts but I just want to use it when I am away from the camper for a week or so just to keep the batteries topped off. I will have to purchase it for $20. I am not sure if maybe 20 is too much since i can get a new 20 watt panel for 40 and it would be brand new. I do plan on getting a charge controller for it. Here is the link for the specs. BP Solar Panel 20Watt 12Volt (Polycrystalline) [SX20U] : Solar power : - Energy Matters Australia
SOLAR panels are good for 20+ years. If you are going just use it to keep your batteries topped off, and you are going to purchase a SOLAR Charge Controller I would say go for it. Bring a Volt meter with you when you purchase it and check the output voltage of the panel in bright sun, if you can. The voltage should read between 16 and 19 VDC. Also, check the panel for any possible water damage.... like water marks under the glass. This panel should give you a little over 1 amp. For the extra $20 you will get a new panel and if the specs are the same a total of about 2 amps.

Understand that these ratings are only going to be produced in FULL sun, usually between 11Am and 2PM. Before and after that time slot, you may be pushing out about .5Amps. So throw in a few clouds passing by or a rainy day(s) and your output will GREATLY affected.

For the money it would be a fun experiment. Should keep a FULLY charged battery topped off (with "0" trailer loads, battery disconnected from the TT). If you do not disconnect the TT (main fuse or disconnect switch) this will not do anything for you, the CO detector, radio, fridge.. 12Volt circuit boards will still kill your battery.

Keep us informed

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:47 AM   #3

Sounds like you have nothing to lose

I'd get the 20 dollar panel and see how it works out for you. I have a bunch of smaller panels laying around that I'm always trying to find uses for. I even cannibalize those cheap solar lights people stick in their yards and use those panels in small projects. Solar is just an addiction for me once I started getting into it.

Honestly I'm not even sure if you really need a charge controller with something that small. Obviously it never hurts to error on the safe side.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:13 AM   #4

Thanks guys. Yes the TT does have a battery disconnect switch and will be shut off when I leave. I wasn't sure if the extra 20 for a new one was maybe worth it. I have tested the panel and it was at 19.6 in full sun. Seems to be working just fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
steiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
Site Team

Go with the $20 panel

Don

Quote:
Thanks guys. Yes the TT does have a battery disconnect switch and will be shut off when I leave. I wasn't sure if the extra 20 for a new one was maybe worth it. I have tested the panel and it was at 19.6 in full sun. Seems to be working just fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks guys. Yes the TT does have a battery disconnect switch and will be shut off when I leave.
Just a small note - if that's a "real" battery disconnect switch, then never mind. If it's just the rocker switch by the exit door, then there's still a bunch of parasitic drain on the battery. DAMHIKT...
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:14 PM   #7

It's a dollar a watt that's what most people with solar strive for so you are on the right track. But just don't count on it to do anything but maintain the batteries charge while in storage.

Listen to Mustang for he is wise.

However, I know you'll love solar so much that you'll want to have more so start out and get a 160 watt panel and a good American made 30 amp controller (because you'll be fiending for more panels) -- for about 300-400$. Just do it.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote