Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2016, 07:23 PM   #1

My LiFePO4 Solar Project

Solar project complete:

2 of the 100 Amp Hour Battleborn Li-Ion Deep Cycle Batteries from Dragonfly Energy.
Battery Specs:
LiFePO4 Chemistry
3000 + Charging Cycles
100 Amp Continuous Current
200 Amp Surge Current (30 Seconds)
12.8V Operating Voltage
14.4V Charging Voltage
0.25" Thick Brass Terminal Blades
200 mA Balancing Current
Operating Temp Range -4F – 160F
Dimensions (L x W x H) 13 x 6.75 x 9.75
33 lbs

300 Watts of Solar (2 of the 150W Sunbee panels)
Blue Sky SB 3000i Charge Controller

AIMS Power 3000 Watt Pure Sine Inverter Charger.

Quite impressed with this setup. I had no trouble running the Coleman Mach 13,500 BTU air conditioner for an hour yesterday (rated at 13.5 - 16.25 AMPS). Going to do some further testing this weekend.

SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 12:04 PM   #2

Here’s the rooftop with my two 150W Sunbee panels.

I've done quite a bit of testing and there's nothing this setup hasn't handled so far. Hair drier, Keurig coffee maker, blender, microwave, A/C, etc. are all working fine. Things get a little stressed when you try to run 2 major appliances together, but the system seems to be pretty robust. Looking forward to our first trip during the Memorial Day weekend.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:24 PM   #3

Wow - looks awesome
TommyAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:01 AM   #4

That looks like a really nice system. What capacity were your batteries down to after running your AC for an hour?

Assuming they are using 13.5 amps while running on 110 volts that is 1485 Watts. Converting that back to 12 volts is 124 amps being pulled from your batteries. That is assuming no losses at all so you are probably pulling 130-140 amps while running your AC.

Run that for 1 hour and you have pulled 130 Ah from your 200Ah battery bank so you should be down to around 35%. If you had sun while doing it your panels were probably providing a little power. 14-15 amps? So your battery had to supply 115Ah.

Those batteries are impressive if they hold up to that long term. Sure would be nice to be able to run AC even for a short period of time off your batteries. 4 of those would be an awesome battery bank!

Thanks for sharing.
Cheers
Old 10-12-2016, 10:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
That looks like a really nice system. What capacity were your batteries down to after running your AC for an hour?

Assuming they are using 13.5 amps while running on 110 volts that is 1485 Watts. Converting that back to 12 volts is 124 amps being pulled from your batteries. That is assuming no losses at all so you are probably pulling 130-140 amps while running your AC.

Run that for 1 hour and you have pulled 130 Ah from your 200Ah battery bank so you should be down to around 35%. If you had sun while doing it your panels were probably providing a little power. 14-15 amps? So your battery had to supply 115Ah.

Those batteries are impressive if they hold up to that long term. Sure would be nice to be able to run AC even for a short period of time off your batteries. 4 of those would be an awesome battery bank!

Thanks for sharing.
Cheers
Your numbers are pretty much spot on. Roughly 30-35% after an hour. We rarely use the AC, however, there were a few hot afternoons when we came back to camp and I would turn it on for 15-20 minutes while making lunch inside.

We camped about 35 days total this summer and it was nice to leave the generator at home. I'm going to add 1 portable solar panel to the system, sometimes you end up in a sight with full tree coverage and that limits the rooftop panels.

We really like the convenience this has added to our trips. Using the electric coffee maker, blending a smoothie, running the 4G cellular booster, etc. without worrying about power is great. Most of our trips are 4 day weekends, if we were full timing, I would add 2 more batteries.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:50 AM   #6

Nice Setup!!!

As Subaru297 mentioned....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post

Run that for 1 hour and you have pulled 130 Ah from your 200Ah.....
You have 300 watts of SOLAR on your roof. Nice, but 300 watts will only give you around 125 Ah of payback for your battery each FULL SOLAR day. If you do the math, 300 watts / 12Volts (battery voltage) = 25Amps * 5 (daily hours of PRIME sunshine for your flat roof) = 125Ah.

Based on the AC draw and no other loads calculated in to the equation, you are breaking even or losing 5Ah a day. Not noticeable on short outings with lots of sun, but you put in a few days of overcast sky, rainy days or partly sunny days, or Fall and Winter angled sun and that 125 Ah now becomes 25 - 75Ah back to the batteries. I would recommend adding at least 1 more panel, but would go with 2 for a total of 600 Watts (50Amps) and a possible 250Ah back into the batteries, and I would also recommend increasing your batteries to 400Ah as that will double your Ah and Lifecycles. Using the AC will really shorten the life of your batteries, and at that price, you would like them to last for as long as possible.

I like the setup... to costly for me at this time

Don
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album http://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Nice Setup!!!

As Subaru297 mentioned....

You have 300 watts of SOLAR on your roof. Nice, but 300 watts will only give you around 125 Ah of payback for your battery each FULL SOLAR day. If you do the math, 300 watts / 12Volts (battery voltage) = 25Amps * 5 (daily hours of PRIME sunshine for your flat roof) = 125Ah.

Based on the AC draw and no other loads calculated in to the equation, you are breaking even or losing 5Ah a day. Not noticeable on short outings with lots of sun, but you put in a few days of overcast sky, rainy days or partly sunny days, or Fall and Winter angled sun and that 125 Ah now becomes 25 - 75Ah back to the batteries. I would recommend adding at least 1 more panel, but would go with 2 for a total of 600 Watts (50Amps) and a possible 250Ah back into the batteries, and I would also recommend increasing your batteries to 400Ah as that will double your Ah and Lifecycles. Using the AC will really shorten the life of your batteries, and at that price, you would like them to last for as long as possible.

I like the setup... to costly for me at this time

Don
Fantastic feedback, thanks for that.

I'm going to add one more 150W portable panel for better sun positioning at shady camp sights and a little more power.

If/When we go full time, (and my savings account recovers) I would like to add more to the system. We primarily camp in the Sierra's, so the nights are always cool with no need for AC use.

What is this "rain" you speak of the droughts here in the west are terrible, but they sure do help us solar folks.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:34 PM   #8

We were out this summer on a two week trip which we did without any plug in sites. We were moving every two to 4 days.
At one site we had lots of sun and took advantage of it to cook dinner with the crock pot. This wasn't a huge draw but after 6 hours of simmering it adds up. I don't remember what that took our batteries (220Ah) down to but probably around 60%. We then went to another campsite that was far more shaded and we were making headway getting back to 100% but we never quite made it. By the time we got to our next campsite 3 days later we were back to 95% but had complete shade for the 5 days we were there. I think I saw 0.9 amps going into our battery at one point but it was usually around 0.5 amps.

Anyway the short version is that with just the 300Watts of panels that we have it took us 1.5 weeks to recover from our crock pot dinner. This was entirely due to the shaded campsites we got into but you could just as easily have a week of poor weather.

My wife and I have agreed to add another 150W panel in the spring so that we recover a bit faster. And I will install it at the opposite end of the trailer relative to the existing panels in the hopes of getting more sun in shaded sites.

My wife wants a portable panel but I think that is just too much of a hassle considering how large they are. I would rather have extra panels mounted on the roof than a portable one on the ground. I did see a lot of portable panels this summer though. It was pretty surprising how common this is becoming.

Cheers
Old 10-12-2016, 04:43 PM   #9

Are your panels connected in series or parallel? Also does that charge controller have any LiFePO4 specific programming or do you just adjust the charge voltage for the LiFe battery?

Tags
inverter, lifepo4, solar