Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Camping and RV'ing > Boondocking
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2017, 05:36 PM   #1

New Generator & Gas can STORAGE help, SUV/TT, no outside compartments

Hello,
After much debate, I went ahead & purchased a Champion 3500/4000w generator w/wheels.
I went with this particular model because of the price, $300, and because I want to also be able to power parts of my home during an outage. But mostly it's for camping! I want to be able to recharge my house battery as well as run the 13,500btu AC when it's 100+ degrees out.

(Before everybody jumps on me about not buying a smaller quieter inverter, I wish I had the money to purchase a little Honda, but I need at least 3000 watts for the a/c & fridge, and unfortunately, that puts Honda or Yamaha, way out of my price range.)

So the problem is, I have absolutely nowhere to store generator except inside my TT, when traveling. I realize there is the possibility that fumes may leak into the trailer, & I was thinking that I would put it into a plastic bin maybe with a piece of plastic at the top under the lid. I plan to store it under the dinette set.

This was the only choice that I could think of after much research on the internet, and it seems like a lot of people stuck in my position make this choice.
*Is there an alternative that I'm overlooking?

That leaves the gas can. I am planning to purchase a steel gas can, because of gas weight I want to go with a 2.5 gallon though I'm looking at the Eagle brand & they only have a 2-gallon. I refuse to put a gas can, especially with gas in it, inside. I realized my trailer tongue, which currently has a 20# LP tank, has room for another tank. **So couldn't I just put my gas tank right there beside the LP tank? I was thinking I could secure some kind of tray & set the gas tank on this? Any Ideas about this? (Sorry, but I also can't afford to add a trailer tongue shelf either)

I'm guessing that somebody out there, must have the same situation as me, so I would appreciate any ideas or solutions you came up with. Safety is my #1 concern and I'm already concerned about having the generator inside the trailer during travel.

I know that when I stop & set up camp I will cable the generator to the trailer tongue frame for security.

Also, I cannot use the bumper of the trailer for a hitch/ tray. The "bumper" on the back of my TT is just a flimsy 2*4 hollow 3 sided steel bar. and I don't like the idea of putting gas can back there, as I think that's almost like driving with a bomb.

I appreciate any advice or possible solutions that people might be able to help me out with. Sorry for long post, & Thanks for your time 🌞

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

2004 Jayco Jayfeather Sport 165
2004 Lexus GX470
Sport165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:54 PM   #2

You have kind of painted yourself into a corner. Given your TV and the size/weight of the generator there really isn't a good option other than putting it in the TT if it will fit. Go ahead and bring a clean 5 gal plastic gas can. Leave it empty until you get close to your destination. Your generator is not only noisy but will also suck fuel if you are running the AC. You'll be surprised how hungry they are. The smaller inverter units are pricy but you get what you pay for. They tend to be more compact, lighter, and a whole lot more efficient. As for the gas can, you can empty it into your vehicle when you're ready to head home. Then bungie it on the tongue of the TT or back bumper. Now you are left with the generator to haul home. Again inside the TT or TV or sell it to a neighbor camper and go quieter and smaller before the next trip.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
5 gal plastic gas can. .
First off, thank you for taking the time to read my long post & reply. 🌞
Re: gas can. I thought plastic gas cans were not a good choice? Like all the advice though that you offered, especially about pouring leftover gas in the vehicle! I hadn't thought of that.

Quote:
The smaller inverter units... tend to be more compact, lighter, and a whole lot more efficient.
My Champion generator weighs 99 lb, I believe it was the Honda inverter 3100 and it weighed 93 lb? Not a lot of difference there. Also it wasn't as quiet as the 58 DB Honda 2000i. But Champion is 68 DB! I honestly didn't think that was much different... I read all sorts of reviews, and listen to them on YouTube videos. Also it said they were acceptable at campgrounds. **Well I just found out since posting, that NPS Campgrounds require generator to be less than 60 decibels! I'm not really sure what that means for me. I already had planned that if somebody asked me to turn off the generator, that I would do so to be a nice neighbor. I really plan to run it very minimally.

Quote:
sell it to a neighbor camper and go quieter and smaller before the next trip.
I might just do THIS!! 😜

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

2004 Lexus GX470
Old 07-18-2017, 08:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport165 View Post
First off, thank you for taking the time to read my long post & reply. 🌞
Re: gas can. I thought plastic gas cans were not a good choice? Like all the advice though that you offered, especially about pouring leftover gas in the vehicle! I hadn't thought of that.

My Champion generator weighs 99 lb, I believe it was the Honda inverter 3100 and it weighed 93 lb? Not a lot of difference there. Also it wasn't as quiet as the 58 DB Honda 2000i. But Champion is 68 DB! I honestly didn't think that was much different... I read all sorts of reviews, and listen to them on YouTube videos. Also it said they were acceptable at campgrounds. **Well I just found out since posting, that NPS Campgrounds require generator to be less than 60 decibels! I'm not really sure what that means for me. I already had planned that if somebody asked me to turn off the generator, that I would do so to be a nice neighbor. I really plan to run it very minimally.

I might just do THIS!! 😜
For the record, the empty weight of the H3000is is 75lbs and the sound is 49dbs at moderate load. You might want to note that even a few dbs difference in sound indicates a significant increase in volume. People think 3 or 4 higher than say 49dsb is only slightly higher than the later. Not true. People who don't buy an inverter often say about the same as a Honda. Time and time again that has proven not to be true.

Weight either 99 or 75 is heavy [more if tank is full] and manhandling into the TT's narrow door is a chore.

I understand the $$ issue and bellying up to the cost of a H3000is at about $2000 is a stretch for most of us. Just suggesting that you are realistic when you compromise with a contractor style generator.

Plastic gas cans are pretty much the way 99% of rvers go. They are safe and a lot less weight than metal. Your generator has roughly a 4 gal onboard tank that will eat that in 12 hours at moderate draw and more like 6-8 hours when powering the AC. Do the math at upwards of $3/gal [$2.19 now but we all know it will go back up]. A 2 gallon can isn't going to give you a lot of reserve fuel.

Each of us makes their own decisions and there is no right answers for everyone. As a potential neighbor in the site next door or even 5 sites down the loop, you probably won't be invited over for coffee.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:34 AM   #5

Thanks again Bassdogs,

I think I got my Generator #'s mixed up, Here are the specs I got from Honda for the EU3000iS:
Fuel Tank Capacity 3.4 gal.
Run Time per Tankful 7.1 hrs. @ rated load, 20 hrs. @ 1/4 load
Dimensions (L x W x H) 25.9" x 17.6" x 22.0"
Noise Level 58 dB(A) @ rated load, 49 dB(A) @ 1/4 load
Dry Weight 131 lbs.

That's a lot more weight than I thought. More than mine!
But definitely the noise is less!!
Regardless, I cannot afford the Honda $2k+ price tag.

So now I'm wondering why so many reviewers stated the Champion 3500 was quiet enough & acceptable in campgrounds? 🙉

Costco offers a Champion inverter right now... I'm afraid the price may still be too much for my wallet right now. & I'd really appreciate the generator on our 4 week trip where we will be doing a lot of boondocking on BLM land, but 1 week in Yellowstone CG.

If I do end up using this Champion3500, it's okay about the coffee 😏 I prefer to enjoy mine made over the fire... & in solitude.
Hahaha but I get what you're saying! & Duly noted.

Here's the gas can I decided to go with, I appreciate that it's made in the USA and has a spark arrestor also.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

2004 Lexus GX470
Old 07-18-2017, 12:05 PM   #6

Quote:
So now I'm wondering why so many reviewers stated the Champion 3500 was quiet enough & acceptable in campgrounds? ��
You might be thinking about the Champion 3400 watt inverter generator. Or the 3100 Watt models. Champion makes a lot of generators, both inverter, and non-inverter styles. You can get a 3000 watt inverter generator for about 600 if you hunt around... these are usually the ones I see people recommending here (in lieu of ponying up the cash for the Honda or Yamaha) I bought one this spring.

I've never heard anyone on this site recommend a non-inverter type for camping. Not that it's never happened, it would just be rare...

I sold one of my other generators to my father in law last month, it's the same as the one you just bought.

I'm afraid I would get shot if I fired that up in a nice camp ground... I did use it for black outs here at the house though, and I could hear it 4 blocks away from my house.

Edit - If you're a handy type, there are a lot of youtube videos out there with mods you can do to that generator to quiet it down a bit, but it's always going to be loud.

Your generator won't fit in the back of your SUV? I carried one around in a Ford Explorer for *years* without issue.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
You might be thinking about the Champion 3400 watt inverter generator. Or the 3100 Watt models. Champion makes a lot of generators, both inverter, and non-inverter styles. You can get a 3000 watt inverter generator for about 600 if you hunt around... these are usually the ones I see people recommending here (in lieu of ponying up the cash for the Honda or Yamaha) I bought one this spring.

I've never heard anyone on this site recommend a non-inverter type for camping. Not that it's never happened, it would just be rare...

I sold one of my other generators to my father in law last month, it's the same as the one you just bought.

I'm afraid I would get shot if I fired that up in a nice camp ground... I did use it for black outs here at the house though, and I could hear it 4 blocks away from my house.

Edit - If you're a handy type, there are a lot of youtube videos out there with mods you can do to that generator to quiet it down a bit, but it's always going to be loud.

Your generator won't fit in the back of your SUV? I carried one around in a Ford Explorer for *years* without issue.
I also would not recommend a "non-inverter" type generator for RV camping.

The price is lower of course but there is just too many expensive electronic devices in newer RVs that don't do well with non-inverted (modified sine wave) generators.

An inverter type generator (pure sign wave) provides a "cleaner" form of power for TVs, Radios, Circuit boards, CPAP machines etc, all of which are expensive to replace.

Perhaps a used inverted generator can be found?
Just my opinion of course. YMMV
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:26 PM   #8

Preventing Gas Smells

I double bagged my gas can and my generator and put them in a storage bin underneath my TT. I get them out when setting up. I have never smelled them inside. I have also done the same by putting them in the back of my SUV.
Worked for me. I tried it and was surprised it did.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:29 PM   #9

I have the Yamaha 3000is which is an inverter. I saw you mentioned that you are considering one of the tongue shelf mounts but waiting on funds. I just added one to my camper and found something. Good luck getting a generator up there. My plan is to use my John Deere with a sling that I use for moving my generator around to lift it up there. I can't lift it that high. So I raised the stabilizers on the camper and lowered the tongue, I can just get it up there but I can't roll the bucket enough to unhook the sling. My plan now is to take apart the shelf and cut down the vertical support pipes to lower it at least 4-5". I am thinking that this along with lowering the tongue I should be able to get it up there. The next challenge is going to be refueling it. The shelf is about 5' up in the air and I need to get gas up there... I am looking for an electronic fuel transfer pump that isn't too expensive.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:36 PM   #10

Generator selection comes down to balancing 3 elements...

1) Cost
2) Noise
3) What you want to run

In all cases an Inverter type generator is the best option; provides Pure Sine Wave power (clean power), run much quieter, and now with the introduction of options from other manufactures you can get some for very reasonable prices.

With a more sensitive budget and the desire to run an AC, I would focus on the Champion 2800/3100 option. This can be purchased at Costco online frequently for $600.

If you can step up slightly from $600, Champion sells a 2000W inverter than can be paralleled the same as a Honda or Yamaha.

What I did personally was decide to forgo the AC and purchased a used Honda EU2000i from Craigslist for $600 (maybe $650 its been a while). Today I have not "Needed" the AC so 2000W is sufficient and moving a 50# generator is quite easy. Should we start camping where AC would be more important I will pick up a second Honda EU2000i-companion and parallel kit to provide 4000w. Again managing 2 50# units is much easier than 1 100# unit.

These Honda's are radically fuel efficient as well.

The other benefit of dual 200W is you only use 2 when you need AC, otherwise hauling one around is all that would be required.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post

I've never heard anyone on this site recommend a non-inverter type for camping.
Thank you for your reply.
Sorry, I should have said reviews I read on the internet! The search feature won't work for me, when I'm on this site, so I haven't been able to find much here on Jayco site about generators. It takes too long to scroll through everything.

My new generator is still in the box. I will check out the champion inverter available at Costco but also look around for a smaller one, I need it to have the RV plug in obviously but also enough Watts for my 13500 BTU AC, the refrigerator and recharging my house battery which is just a 27dc.

2004 Lexus GX470
Old 07-18-2017, 03:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Sorry, I should have said reviews I read on the internet! The search feature won't work for me, when I'm on this site, so I haven't been able to find much here on Jayco site about generators. It takes too long to scroll through everything.

My new generator is still in the box. I will check out the champion inverter available at Costco but also look around for a smaller one, I need it to have the RV plug in obviously but also enough Watts for my 13500 BTU AC, the refrigerator and recharging my house battery which is just a 27dc.
Not sure if it helps but my Yamaha 3000 will run my 15k AC just fine. So you can get by with something smaller than that. Not sure that a 2k would do it but Harbor Freight has 2k Honda clones for $500 normally and I have seen them on sale for a lot less than that. I would check on the return policy or get two and parallel them.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2017, 04:24 PM   #13

Quote:

You need 3000 watts to comfortably run you AC. Some have been able to do the 13k unit with a 2000 but its pretty sketchy. Going with twin 2000s that you can parallel covers both bases. Plenty of power if you plan on needing AC and one will handle you fine if not.

The noise question comes up all the time but to be clear, the db scale is not liner [ie 2 plus 2 is 4]. Every increase of 3 dbs equals basically a doubling of the noise level.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:53 PM   #14

Bassdogs
Your correct with the DB levels. Also, like you said, twin 2000 Honda's are the way to go. That's what I did 8 years ago. I bought one, and another six months later.
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:25 PM   #15

Ok,
I following given advice, I found this
2000W Inverter Generator - Champion Power Equipment

Depending on cost it might be doable. No wheels, but it's relatively light compared to 3500w gen.
It also doesn't mention a RV 30amp plug-in.

so if I was to purchase this 2000w inverter,
I understand I can't run my AC--- but would I be able to at least charge up my 27dc house battery??
Could I even plug the TT into it?

How would it power things in TT?

Also, what are the DC cables for? Is that just a plus to jumpstart Tow vehicle, if needed?

Thanks you all have been very helpful!!

2004 Lexus GX470
Old 07-18-2017, 06:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Ok,
I following given advice, I found this
2000W Inverter Generator - Champion Power Equipment

Depending on cost it might be doable. No wheels, but it's relatively light compared to 3500w gen.
It also doesn't mention a RV 30amp plug-in.

so if I was to purchase this 2000w inverter,
I understand I can't run my AC--- but would I be able to at least charge up my 27dc house battery??
Could I even plug the TT into it?

How would it power things in TT?

Also, what are the DC cables for? Is that just a plus to jumpstart Tow vehicle, if needed?

Thanks you all have been very helpful!!
It doesn't take a lot of power to charge the battery through the converter. Just use an adapter to convert to the regular 15A plug and plug into the generator. Another option is to use a dedicated battery charger and hook it up to the battery direct. It will charge it faster than via the trickle charger from the converter. 12v can run 12v stuff. Mine has it but I never use it.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2017, 06:48 PM   #17

Looks like the best prices today are at Amazon and Home Depot at $462. Weight is only 48#, no option for a wheel kit. It comes with 2-120v 20 amp outlets, you will need a 30a to 20amp adapter, will give you power to charge batteries but no a/c that 13.5 requires a minimum of 2.5kw
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post
It doesn't take a lot of power to charge the battery through the converter. Just use an adapter to convert to the regular 15A plug and plug into the generator. Another option is to use a dedicated battery charger and hook it up to the battery direct. It will charge it faster than via the trickle charger from the converter. 12v can run 12v stuff. Mine has it but I never use it.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
In my experience, a dedicated battery charger may not be better than the built-in charger. Last summer as camphosts we had no power at our site, only our generator. Long story short, the OEM built-in charger did a better job than my Schumacher 2/10/50amp battery charger to charge our 2, group 27 batteries; better and much simplier. I didn't bother to check the current output of the two charging methods.

I assume that a separate battery charger with higher amperage output might have done a better job, but I compared the two methods that I had available. Buying a higher power charger would be possible. But my 'want list' for my trailer includes a Progressive Dynamics power converte, not a higher power battery charger.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:25 PM   #19

You can run a single 15k AC on a 2000 Watt Generator. I have and do. HOWEVER, My single 2000 Watt Yamaha runs fast compared to running both 2000 Watt Yamahas in parallel (In parallel they run in economy mode almost all the time whereas a single 2000 Watt does not) So to get thru the night, I run them in Parallel. During the day, I shut one down.

Read the post and research Micro-Air Soft Start

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...ers-48882.html

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:59 PM   #20

When we bought our PUP, we had been toying with the idea of getting one for camping with the grandkids, but when we ramped up the full renovation of the house we justified the early purchase of it with being able to stay on the site (backyard driveway). The schedule was originally planned for a 4-6 week stint. That turned into 4.5 months and let me tell you, living out of a PUP with a lawyer wife who is in Court every single day is not an easy adventure. August is still a very hot month here in Memphis, so the AC was a necessity. We took the plunge with the 2 Honda EU2000i's run in parallel and had no problems with loads even though we were running the AC, the frig, coffee maker, microwave, the lights, a flat screen TV, cable box and router.......hey we were living in the thing 24/7. Running both units 24/7 in August, September and part of October I would go through a 5 gal can every 2.5 days. I ran Seafoam in the gas and oil and I changed oil every two weeks since they were running 24/7. I ran them in the garage where I could lock them up at night with door open about 2 inches and the exhaust fan running. This put them about 10' away from the PUP....meaning only the canvas being between us sleeping and the generators. They were quiet, more so than the 2 trains rolling by 7 blocks away every night. They performed above and beyond what I expected and after we moved back into the house, I threw my meter on them to see just how bad we abused them........still putting out the advertised quality clean power levels. That was in 2014, they've been used through 2 week long power outages (damn old trees) and about 2 dozen camping trips . Their output performance hasn't diminished one bit and they fire up with two pulls every time. They were worth every penny we spent on them ($4K) total. I know there are inverter units out there that are comparable, but I won't hesitate to purchase another set when these die, but at this rate, I'll expire before these things do......I'll let my wife referee that battle between the kids.

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote