Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2016, 08:57 AM   #1

Off grid living - Pros and cons

Hey, I'm new to these forums despite Ive been creeping around for months now. The more time I spend browsing the more I yearn to have a travel trailer of my own.

I intend on purchasing a Jayco Travel Trailer to live in full time. I'm partial to off grid living and I feel like I'm the perfect candidate for that lifestyle despite I have no experience in boondocking or spending time in trailers. I'm a minimalist and I prefer living in compact spaces.

Anyhow, I own land and I have 3 other neighboring plots (that my grandparents own) that are potential spots for a trailer. Sizes vary, however, the land I own is much larger and lavish - There's even a few horse stables up there and a mini pond. Plenty of sunlight and open space. Actually its kinda perfect despite the stables are 80+ years old and the land itself needs a major face lift.

Totally babbling but, I'm curious how many ppl here are living off grid in a Jayco. I would love to read some feedback. The good, the bad, the ugly.
kevinrbellamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:00 AM   #2

I'll be the first to just come out and say the Jayco campers are not designed for full timers. I'm sure you can make it work, but it voids your warranty (not sure how they would know, but that's what they say), and instead of getting 8 years out of your camper, you'll probably get a lot less.

Don't let any of that stop you of course, I just wanted to point out something you maybe haven't heard yet.

There are a few non-Jayco brands that are 'certified' for full time use (whatever that means).

Edit - I've been on a few threads over the last few days where people are complaining about Jayco quality, and it turns out at least a few of them are using their RV as a 'semi' permanent residence. Go figure... Anyway, as long as you're prepared to fix things at 5 times the rate an occasional user would, go for it, it's yours to do with as you want right?
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:15 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
RV's are no better than a cheap housing complex. Lasting 8 years that's "doomsday" thinking. I come we still see 70's to 90's RV's on the road and in the campsites? Because they maintain there units well. RV manufactures cover their asses by saying not fulltime RV's, because if you give 2 year warranty they want to have the unit sit in your driveway unused. So what if you have todo repairs and maintenance? It is a home away from home and you can go anywhere you wish.

Well go for it Kevin..........camp in "Freedom" We full time during the summer months and even when we feel like it we use it during the winter.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:36 AM   #4

Sounds like nice land setup.

Wo I ld you leave the camper on the site all the time, or move it to various campgrounds?

If you are just going to use it for a weak end get away. Leaving the tt there most of the time. I would condider a good, solar system, built at ground level, with a good battery bank. You will have a lot of power. If you require the ac to work, then you will need a generator.

Depending on local code you should be able to build an adequate sewer system.

Water, Humm what's that pond like, can you filter the water? Maybe bring a few 5 gallon jugs with you for drinking, cooking and cleaning dishes.

If the stables are good, put the solar on the roof, turn the building into a picnic shelter. Keep one stall for dry storage.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:37 AM   #5

Wow, an 8 year life span? That seems awfully short. I intended on storing mine under a metal shedding/carport in attempt to preserve it for years and years. My interest in travel trailers actually deprived from my unhealthy obsession of owning a tiny home (THOW), eventually I realized Id be completely content in a travel trailer. I feel like a TT would be ideal as long as its properly maintained. Personally I'm OCD so im not stressing too much about that, however, excessive repairs? Yeah, that's frankly kinda terrifying since im not much of a handyman but I am a hard worker and quick leaner.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Sounds like nice land setup.

Wo I ld you leave the camper on the site all the time, or move it to various campgrounds?

If you are just going to use it for a weak end get away. Leaving the tt there most of the time. I would condider a good, solar system, built at ground level, with a good battery bank. You will have a lot of power. If you require the ac to work, then you will need a generator.

Depending on local code you should be able to build an adequate sewer system.

Water, Humm what's that pond like, can you filter the water? Maybe bring a few 5 gallon jugs with you for drinking, cooking and cleaning dishes.

If the stables are good, put the solar on the roof, turn the building into a picnic shelter. Keep one stall for dry storage.

Thanks for showing interest.

I intend on leaving the camper under a shed. However, traveling would be nice also. Of course I drive a Honda Fit so... No hauling.

Ive been researching solar panels also. However, its a lot to take in. It's all Greek to me. Thankfully online forums and various blogs are incredibly insightful and informative about this stuff. Still its going to take time to adjust. I'm sure i'll make countless mistakes. Anyway, sorry in advance for rambling... I'm a minimalist. I own VERY little. In fact I can pack everything I own in literally 5 boxes. Im also a vegetarian so I have no use for a microwave. Actually even if I wasn't a vegetarian I would refuse to use a microwave. I 'cut the cord' over 5 years ago so I have no interest in cable. See what Im getting at? In terms of electronics, you're not gonna find much among my kitchen arsenal. Not even an electric can opener.

Sadly the pond is way too small for anything other than being a haven for frogs and other amphibious creatures. In terms of water, from what I researched, rain collection is totally legal in Kentucky. Obviously I need to look more thoroughly into this but considering the land is totally isolate and private and I only want enough for a daily shower, I should be fine. I like the idea about using one of those stables for storage because one of my biggest concerns is keeping stored water from freezing during Winter.

I'm well aware I have plenty of ideas and little experience but I'll be seeing all of this come to fruition soon enough. Money isn't really a major concern considering Im gonna be living off the land as much as possible. That same spot - The land that I own - was used for farming. I remember working that field as a kid in the early 80's. I miss that. Im getting back to my roots.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrbellamy View Post
Wow, an 8 year life span? That seems awfully short. I intended on storing mine under a metal shedding/carport in attempt to preserve it for years and years. My interest in travel trailers actually deprived from my unhealthy obsession of owning a tiny home (THOW), eventually I realized Id be completely content in a travel trailer. I feel like a TT would be ideal as long as its properly maintained. Personally I'm OCD so im not stressing too much about that, however, excessive repairs? Yeah, that's frankly kinda terrifying since im not much of a handyman but I am a hard worker and quick leaner.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Yeah, that 8 years I just threw that out there based on the average age of the campers I see in peoples signatures here. Not a valid sample really, but it seems typical that people sell what they have right now, within 8 years typically. I know they can, and do last longer... totally up to the owner, maintenance, the elements, and luck. My first camper was a popup from Coleman that was built in 77. I sold it a couple years ago. You do see old rigs on the road all the time.. but my 77 Coleman was only used a couple times a year and was garaged. Full timing, I imagine it would have fallen apart in that 8 year window.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:46 PM   #8

Off-grid living is a whole lot more that parking a camper in the middle of a field....

I live where the only outside utility is electricity.
- Well for water
- Septic system for wastewater
- Fuel oil for heat
- Propane for cooking

When the grid goes down (thankfully not often), we are out for 2-3 days.

So, are you prepared to put in well & septic? Have enough fuel for heat on hand?
What level of refrigeration will work for you? A 1-2 cuft? More? none (root cellar is good enough)
Will you have any electricity in your house? Its possible to go 1860.
If you choose to electrify, how much will you need 200W, 1000W? Solar charging a battery bank? Run a genset a few hours/day?

Lots to consider.
First and foremost is a well founded and properly insulated house.

If you are talking about boondocking (camping with no hookups) there's lots of folk here that'll give plenty of nearly useful advice.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Off-grid living is a whole lot more that parking a camper in the middle of a field....

I live where the only outside utility is electricity.
- Well for water
- Septic system for wastewater
- Fuel oil for heat
- Propane for cooking

When the grid goes down (thankfully not often), we are out for 2-3 days.

So, are you prepared to put in well & septic? Have enough fuel for heat on hand?
What level of refrigeration will work for you? A 1-2 cuft? More? none (root cellar is good enough)
Will you have any electricity in your house? Its possible to go 1860.
If you choose to electrify, how much will you need 200W, 1000W? Solar charging a battery bank? Run a genset a few hours/day?

Lots to consider.
First and foremost is a well founded and properly insulated house.

If you are talking about boondocking (camping with no hookups) there's lots of folk here that'll give plenty of nearly useful advice.

Well I guess I'm not too familiar with the terms here because I was under the impression off grid living *was* boondocking and vice versa. My mistake.

To clarify - I plain to live without most hook ups and rely entirely on solar panels and a generator of some sort. I have absolutely no problem with dragging a panel outside daily for instance. As I mentioned though its a lot to learn but I'm eager to pursue this type of living. Perhaps some ppl would find that type of lifestyle difficult and strenuous at times. I dunno. I'm not high maintenance, I'm single without children and I live a very simple minimalist life.

Obviously a compositing toilet is a must. Anything I put down my drains will be completely biodegradable and that content will be recycled! Obviously I'm not tossing that water on edible vegetables like they do in some Third World countries, where water is often re-used, but will I use grey water on non-edible plantlife? Definitely

As far as all the other questions, yeah LOTS to consider and I'm not gonna lie, Im in the dark about a lot, That's why I signed up here though to obtain information and learn tips, so forth.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:35 PM   #10

While I think you'll find some of the info you need on this forum, what you are asking about is something most here don't have experience with. For those who do boon dock it's usually a long weekend or a week at most. That's a far different thing from living day to day off the grid. You'll have problems to solve that most weekenders will never encounter.

Quote:
Im also a vegetarian so I have no use for a microwave.
I'm not understanding. What does a microwave have to do with being a vegetarian? I know several vegetarians and vegans. They like a nice hot meal as much as everyone else does.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
While I think you'll find some of the info you need on this forum, what you are asking about is something most here don't have experience with. For those who do boon dock it's usually a long weekend or a week at most. That's a far different thing from living day to day off the grid. You'll have problems to solve that most weekenders will never encounter.

I'm not understanding. What does a microwave have to do with being a vegetarian? I know several vegetarians and vegans. They like a nice hot meal as much as everyone else does.

Honestly browsing these forums on and off for weeks now have actually helped me tremendously. Ive learned about a slew of various items that seem to be better reviewed and favored which has lead me to looking more into those for instance.

I'm not partial to those kinda meals. Simple as that. I don't even take my subs heated or toasted. Cold only :-p
Of course I could ramble on about the hazards of using microwave but id rather not detail my own thread. haha
Old 08-25-2016, 04:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Honestly browsing these forums on and off for weeks now have actually helped me tremendously. Ive learned about a slew of various items that seem to be better reviewed and favored which has lead me to looking more into those for instance.

I'm not partial to those kinda meals. Simple as that. I don't even take my subs heated or toasted. Cold only :-p
Of course I could ramble on about the hazards of using microwave but id rather not detail my own thread. haha
I can relate... my wife was vegan for 15 years before I introduced her to Texas BBQ. She used to call the microwave, "The MicroWeird". She has evolved though. You get more dangerous radiation being exposed to the sun than you do heating up your meal in the scary microwave.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
I can relate... my wife was vegan for 15 years before I introduced her to Texas BBQ. She used to call the microwave, "The MicroWeird". She has evolved though. You get more dangerous radiation being exposed to the sun than you do heating up your meal in the scary microwave.
I shouldn't have type Im a vegetarian. I'm a struggling vegetarian? I dunno. Actually Id rather not label myself. Also, if you were to put some Texas BBQ in front of me, I'm not gonna hesitate to devour it. I'd go full cave man and lick the plate too. Prob hop on the table and sound a barbaric yawp. I try to be as vegetarian as possible but it's le sighs it's a struggle at times. I stay hungry also. I'm drinking a fruit smoothie at the moment as my supper and I assure you, despite its in a big ass glass cup loaded with hemp and chia seeds, I'll be hungry in 30 minutes. Probably craving Texas BBQ.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:51 PM   #14

The ironic thing here is I'm not from Texas, she is.

Good luck with the struggle. I've been there. My best friend just came by a couple hours ago telling me how healthy he is now, he's off red meat, etc.. while asking me if I had some weed he could smoke out of a 3 foot water bong (I may or may not actually own... just for the record), he proceeded outside and hacked up a lung + 2 on his way to the car, struggling to tell me how I need to eat more cabbage.

all things in moderation. Didn't mean to hijack your thread, the topic is entertaining..
Old 08-25-2016, 05:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
The ironic thing here is I'm not from Texas, she is.

Good luck with the struggle. I've been there. My best friend just came by a couple hours ago telling me how healthy he is now, he's off red meat, etc.. while asking me if I had some weed he could smoke out of a 3 foot water bong (I may or may not actually own... just for the record), he proceeded outside and hacked up a lung + 2 on his way to the car, struggling to tell me how I need to eat more cabbage.

all things in moderation. Didn't mean to hijack your thread, the topic is entertaining..

Ugh! I wish I owned a 3 foot bong. Because of it's sheer size, I'd name it something Kaiju-oriented like Kong.
Also, I will have a 'smoke lounge' in my trailer. Not even kidding.
Eff those duel bunks! They gotta go.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:24 PM   #16

Energy:
For a solar setup that would be conservative I would say 400 watts charging a (two) 6volt battery bank.
That should run the fridge, water heater, furnace, and the co/smoke/propane detectors, as well as provide you enough for lights (led) at night.
For propane a 100lb tank would be nice.

Water:
You mentioned you had some old horse stables on your land.
Horses need water right? They got it for them from somewhere.
I'd say you must have a well on that land!
I'd have a good look for it, talk to some old timers in the area, maybe a plot plan would have the well on it (I have an old well and it's marked on the plot plan).
A metal detector could be helpful too.

Waste:
If you're not restricted, do like they've done for ever, dig a pit toilet/outhouse.
If it were me I'd dig the pit like an outhouse but instead of a seat I'd have my waste pipe from the trailer go into it. Just dump the black water there if you want, and reuse the grey water.

Wish you the best!
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Ugh! I wish I owned a 3 foot bong. Because of it's sheer size, I'd name it something Kaiju-oriented like Kong.
Also, I will have a 'smoke lounge' in my trailer. Not even kidding.
Eff those duel bunks! They gotta go.
Please make me an extra campsite next to yours. I'd like to visit this "lounge" you speak of!
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhowemca View Post
Please make me an extra campsite next to yours. I'd like to visit this "lounge" you speak of!
Me too... won't happen in mine.

Anyone smokes anything in my camper and they'd better be having issues with the meal plan. I fought hard for legalization in college and am very 'pro' movement in that area, but the bong has to stay nestled in the old oak tree out back, a safe distance from the mircoweird.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:51 PM   #19

This is wonderful info and suggestions. Thank you tremendously!

Ive read somewhere another person mentioned using 2 6volt deep cycle batteries instead of the model the trailer comes with. They're better suited for excessive charges that a person does with solar panels. Of course I have absolutely zero experience with solar but I'll not be getting my trailer till next year so I have plenty of time to research.

As a late-deafened adult, I would likely have to replace the smoke/propane detector and go with something Deaf-friendly but Amazon usually has me covered when it comes to that stuff.

The only electronics I really plan to use that are not furnished would be a TV w/ BR Player and my Ninja blender. I don't own a computer or gaming console. No dishwasher or anything massive like that. Im even tinkering with the idea of getting a smaller fridge or as someone mentioned above rely on a root cellar. Which surprisingly I do have access to. Being a resident of KY has it perks.

It's actually my grandparents land but I own a small plot but yeah, you are correct, as a child they did in fact use well water - Its been years since Ive thought about that but I do remember collecting buckets of water from that well. Sometime in the late-nineties however they finally got with the rest of civilization and they got hooked to city water line. The well was torn down. I would have to look more into that tho to confirm.

And all kidding aside, I have used an outhouse on that very land. I was super embarrassed to use that as a kid. Why? I have no idea. They actually creeped me out. Same as the root cellar. Actually even as an grown adult a root cellar makes me feel uneasy. Too many horror films as a kid I guess. Oh yeah, you may or may not be disgusted to know that whatever went down that toilet, ended up in the creek... No joke. Anyway, I've been eyeing the Nature's Head compositing toilet but I also like the Dry Flush. Both beat pooing in the creek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhowemca View Post
Energy:
For a solar setup that would be conservative I would say 400 watts charging a (two) 6volt battery bank.
That should run the fridge, water heater, furnace, and the co/smoke/propane detectors, as well as provide you enough for lights (led) at night.
For propane a 100lb tank would be nice.

Water:
You mentioned you had some old horse stables on your land.
Horses need water right? They got it for them from somewhere.
I'd say you must have a well on that land!
I'd have a good look for it, talk to some old timers in the area, maybe a plot plan would have the well on it (I have an old well and it's marked on the plot plan).
A metal detector could be helpful too.

Waste:
If you're not restricted, do like they've done for ever, dig a pit toilet/outhouse.
If it were me I'd dig the pit like an outhouse but instead of a seat I'd have my waste pipe from the trailer go into it. Just dump the black water there if you want, and reuse the grey water.

Wish you the best!
Old 08-25-2016, 05:54 PM   #20
Site Team

Lots of things to consider for a quickie answer. You must already be living as a minimalist, just not in a camper so you may already have a better idea than most of us on what needs to be done.

I have more questions than answers about what you propose. Your power requirements and battery charging will need some kind of solar. Fresh water and sewer considerations also. Maybe resurrect the grandparents method of disposing of trash and garbage.

Keep us posted on your decisions. After the zombie apocalypse we may all be living that way.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote