Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2016, 05:03 PM   #11

Yes, that is the one.

Don

2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album http://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:49 PM   #12

Thank you! Just ordered. The description states "Generator to shore power auto transfer relay system". I assume that it will work with no generator, but inverter to shore power as well...

Thank you!

bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
$1000 sounds like a lot of money until you start to spend it....

Don't know if this will help you, but here is where I'm at.

Been camping for 10 years in a fifth wheel. Waded into no-hookup camping about half way through. First with a poorly chosen marine battery, then with 2 poorly chosen marine batteries, then with 2 poorly chosen marine batteries and a yamaha 2400. This was to survive 3 to 12 day stints with out hook ups in National Parks.

Now with the Jayco we got this spring, I'm a little smarter.

I bought a small power meter and realize that my Jayco is going to draw about 5 amps per hour with fridge on propane. 5 amps over 24 hours = 120 amp hours. $20 thru Amazon

I bought 2 Trojan t-105 batteries. 225 amp hours (115 amp hours to 50% soc) (nearly $350 by the time I paid core charges and tax)

This got me realizing that I'd need to run the generator daily in Glacier to keep the battery above 50%.

I had plans for an awesome solar system, but have that up after a heavy spring of unexpected expenditures. So I decided to wade into it. I ordered the Renogy 200 Watt starter kit and plan to use it as a portable system. $350. We'll install the converter in the basement and stretch cables out to panel locations. Panels can travel under the bed. With our camping being mostly weekend trips with hookups and a long trip in the summer, maybe I don't need a big solar system. I'll try this and see where I need to go from here.

This will show up next week and I'll post pictures and information as I get it installed and begin to use it.

I figure that this will put back at least 2 times what is coming out during charging times. While I may not be at 100% daily, I believe we'll avoid running the generator, unless we run the hair drier or microwave.

If you add the numbers up, I'm at $800 already......
CDash,
What model of trailer/MH do you have? I would investigate that power usage. A continuous 5 amp load seems like a lot. Perhaps if you have a MH, with their more complex systems, I could see it, but not for a trailer or 5ver. For comparison, my trailer uses less than 1 amp with the refrig and water heater on propane. This has been pretty consistent across two different trailers. If I turn on other devices, of course the usage increases, but those devices are rarely on 24x7.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
CDash,
What model of trailer/MH do you have? I would investigate that power usage. A continuous 5 amp load seems like a lot. Perhaps if you have a MH, with their more complex systems, I could see it, but not for a trailer or 5ver. For comparison, my trailer uses less than 1 amp with the refrig and water heater on propane. This has been pretty consistent across two different trailers. If I turn on other devices, of course the usage increases, but those devices are rarely on 24x7.
Thank you. That's supposed to be 0.5. I knew something seemed off. I'll go edit that to avoid confusion & misinformation.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:39 PM   #15

You should be able to get a pretty good system for $1000.

I think my system was around $1400 Canadian which is right around $1000USD at the moment. My system is comprised of....

Trimetric SC2030 charge controller
Trimetric 2030-RV battery monitor (highly recommended!)
Two 150Watt "12 volt" panels
Two 6volt batteries
Wire and circuit breakers
Also added a 600W modified sine-wave inverter.

If you build in a little room for expansion in your wiring and charge controller you can start a bit smaller and see how it works for you. Additional costs to consider is maybe jumping up to a MPPT charge controller and a larger inverter if you need it and if you want to run the microwave you will probably need a 1500W or so inverter and an extra two batteries. Then I don't think you will make your $1000 dollar cap.

But eliminate the need for some of those larger 110v draws and it is easily done with something as shown above.

Cheers