Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2016, 06:22 AM   #1

Solar install on a $1000. budget ?

Looking to get solar on the TT when it arrives in a couple of weeks. Prewired by Jayco, whatever that means, for the 2017 model 25BH. For a $1000 budget where should I start? I would like to dry camp as much as possible. Presently I have 2- 2000W invertor Generators for the 15K A/C & battery charge but would like to use that as little as possible. Should I look towards battery banks first or start with a couple of 100 w panels systems? like these:https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Watts-...=dradisplay-20
Also looked at adding these batteries in parallel
Duracell® AGM Deep Cycle Marine and RV Battery - Group Size 31 - Sam's Club
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9999 View Post
Looking to get solar on the TT when it arrives in a couple of weeks. Prewired by Jayco, whatever that means, for the 2017 model 25BH. For a $1000 budget where should I start? I would like to dry camp as much as possible. Presently I have 2- 2000W invertor Generators for the 15K A/C & battery charge but would like to use that as little as possible. Should I look towards battery banks first or start with a couple of 100 w panels systems? like these:https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Watts-...=dradisplay-20
Also looked at adding these batteries in parallel
Duracell® AGM Deep Cycle Marine and RV Battery - Group Size 31 - Sam's Club
I have those panels (3-4years now) and they work fine.
The real question you have to answer is: "Will I use the generator to run the AC, Microwave, and coffee maker?" If the answer is yes, then you can get by with a much smaller solar system. If the answer is no, then you will need a fairly large solar system, a large inverter, most likely golf cart batteries, possible rewiring with heavier wiring (like welding cable).
If you are willing to fire up the genny for the high load items, then a couple of those panels with a modest charge controller would work OK. On my trailer I am still using the batteries the dealership installed and they work fine. So, for about $300 you would be in business.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:14 AM   #3

Almost forgot the requisite links for further information. This should give you many hours of reading pleasure
RV Electrical
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
Old 06-10-2016, 08:14 AM   #4

I would like to run everything, except the A/C, on solar. The 6 volt GC batts may be a better setup it seems as they have more AH'S combined.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:28 AM   #5
Site Team

You can do a lot with a $1000 SOLAR budget. The panels you linked to do not include a SOLAR charge controller, which you will need to buy separately. Here is a link to purchase a Renogy 200 watt kit that includes a charge controller. The battery you are linking to is an AGM, and is NOT a true Deep Cycle battery, but a hybrid battery. True Deep Cycle batteries do not have a CCA or MCA rating 9cranking power. Is there a reason for you selecting an AGM type of battery?... Trojan T-105 (220 Ah, 6 VDC) batteries ($105 - $140 each) will give you a little more Ah's and are more of a True Deep Cycle battery, and they, if properly maintained will outlast (performance wise) a hybrid battery.

Batteries in parallel add amps, batteries in series add voltage.

The big question is, what types of loads will you be putting on your system. Inverter? Size of inverter? Tv? As mentioned in another post,coffee pot, microwave, main heating system, recharging electronics...? How many days will you be without power? Weekends only? Week at a time? Couple weeks at a time? All necessary information to design your SOLAR system.

Quote:
I would like to run everything, except the A/C, on solar. The 6 volt GC batts may be a better setup it seems as they have more AH'S combined.
Not knowing how long your dry-camping sessions will be and thinking that you will be using/charging electronics, microwave and coffee pot, I would recommend 400 watts of SOLAR and (4) T105 batteries.. but you will have to run new wire down from the roof, as the JAYCO pre-wire is not for high Amp setups.

Here is a link to our RVing with SOLAR social group. There is a lot of information regarding batteries, SOLAR information, and members sharing their installation projects.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:29 AM   #6

You like to drycamp as much as possible.. How much is that? Weekends only? 2 weeks a year? This makes a difference in what you need.. As you can see from my sig line I average over 200 nights a year Boondocking. Since I like all the comforts of home I have a substantial system. Mine runs everything except the A/C.

Doing the work yourself you should be able to get a decent system up and running for under $1000.00 Biggest expense will be the inverter to run your 110 appliances.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:46 AM   #7

Planning a long distance trip for 3 months out & will want to dry camp from 2-7 day stretches & between destinations with Walmrt overnight stops. Plan on full service CG's for 2-3day stretches in-between.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:50 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Planning a long distance trip for 3 months out & will want to dry camp from 2-7 day stretches & between destinations with Walmrt overnight stops. Plan on full service CG's for 2-3day stretches in-between.
Nice!!! Add one of these automatic transfer switches to your list. It will switch between your inverter and shore power (when available). They come in 30 and 50 amp models.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
BATTERY - AUTOMATIC Transfer Switch.jpg  
Old 06-11-2016, 09:41 AM   #9

$1000 sounds like a lot of money until you start to spend it....

Don't know if this will help you, but here is where I'm at.

Been camping for 10 years in a fifth wheel. Waded into no-hookup camping about half way through. First with a poorly chosen marine battery, then with 2 poorly chosen marine batteries, then with 2 poorly chosen marine batteries and a yamaha 2400. This was to survive 3 to 12 day stints with out hook ups in National Parks.

Now with the Jayco we got this spring, I'm a little smarter.

I bought a small power meter and realize that my Jayco is going to draw about 5 amps per hour with fridge on propane. 5 amps over 24 hours = 120 amp hours. $20 thru Amazon

I bought 2 Trojan t-105 batteries. 225 amp hours (115 amp hours to 50% soc) (nearly $350 by the time I paid core charges and tax)

This got me realizing that I'd need to run the generator daily in Glacier to keep the battery above 50%.

I had plans for an awesome solar system, but have that up after a heavy spring of unexpected expenditures. So I decided to wade into it. I ordered the Renogy 200 Watt starter kit and plan to use it as a portable system. $350. We'll install the converter in the basement and stretch cables out to panel locations. Panels can travel under the bed. With our camping being mostly weekend trips with hookups and a long trip in the summer, maybe I don't need a big solar system. I'll try this and see where I need to go from here.

This will show up next week and I'll post pictures and information as I get it installed and begin to use it.

I figure that this will put back at least 2 times what is coming out during charging times. While I may not be at 100% daily, I believe we'll avoid running the generator, unless we run the hair drier or microwave.

If you add the numbers up, I'm at $800 already......
Old 06-12-2016, 03:31 PM   #10

Thanks, Don. It appears that this one is discountinued by the manufacturer. Would this be a newer version?

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-D.../dp/B002UCADGW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Nice!!! Add one of these automatic transfer switches to your list. It will switch between your inverter and shore power (when available). They come in 30 and 50 amp models.

Don
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:03 PM   #11
Site Team

Yes, that is the one.

Don
Old 06-12-2016, 04:49 PM   #12

Thank you! Just ordered. The description states "Generator to shore power auto transfer relay system". I assume that it will work with no generator, but inverter to shore power as well...

Thank you!
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
$1000 sounds like a lot of money until you start to spend it....

Don't know if this will help you, but here is where I'm at.

Been camping for 10 years in a fifth wheel. Waded into no-hookup camping about half way through. First with a poorly chosen marine battery, then with 2 poorly chosen marine batteries, then with 2 poorly chosen marine batteries and a yamaha 2400. This was to survive 3 to 12 day stints with out hook ups in National Parks.

Now with the Jayco we got this spring, I'm a little smarter.

I bought a small power meter and realize that my Jayco is going to draw about 5 amps per hour with fridge on propane. 5 amps over 24 hours = 120 amp hours. $20 thru Amazon

I bought 2 Trojan t-105 batteries. 225 amp hours (115 amp hours to 50% soc) (nearly $350 by the time I paid core charges and tax)

This got me realizing that I'd need to run the generator daily in Glacier to keep the battery above 50%.

I had plans for an awesome solar system, but have that up after a heavy spring of unexpected expenditures. So I decided to wade into it. I ordered the Renogy 200 Watt starter kit and plan to use it as a portable system. $350. We'll install the converter in the basement and stretch cables out to panel locations. Panels can travel under the bed. With our camping being mostly weekend trips with hookups and a long trip in the summer, maybe I don't need a big solar system. I'll try this and see where I need to go from here.

This will show up next week and I'll post pictures and information as I get it installed and begin to use it.

I figure that this will put back at least 2 times what is coming out during charging times. While I may not be at 100% daily, I believe we'll avoid running the generator, unless we run the hair drier or microwave.

If you add the numbers up, I'm at $800 already......
CDash,
What model of trailer/MH do you have? I would investigate that power usage. A continuous 5 amp load seems like a lot. Perhaps if you have a MH, with their more complex systems, I could see it, but not for a trailer or 5ver. For comparison, my trailer uses less than 1 amp with the refrig and water heater on propane. This has been pretty consistent across two different trailers. If I turn on other devices, of course the usage increases, but those devices are rarely on 24x7.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
Old 06-14-2016, 05:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
CDash,
What model of trailer/MH do you have? I would investigate that power usage. A continuous 5 amp load seems like a lot. Perhaps if you have a MH, with their more complex systems, I could see it, but not for a trailer or 5ver. For comparison, my trailer uses less than 1 amp with the refrig and water heater on propane. This has been pretty consistent across two different trailers. If I turn on other devices, of course the usage increases, but those devices are rarely on 24x7.
Thank you. That's supposed to be 0.5. I knew something seemed off. I'll go edit that to avoid confusion & misinformation.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:39 PM   #15

You should be able to get a pretty good system for $1000.

I think my system was around $1400 Canadian which is right around $1000USD at the moment. My system is comprised of....

Trimetric SC2030 charge controller
Trimetric 2030-RV battery monitor (highly recommended!)
Two 150Watt "12 volt" panels
Two 6volt batteries
Wire and circuit breakers
Also added a 600W modified sine-wave inverter.

If you build in a little room for expansion in your wiring and charge controller you can start a bit smaller and see how it works for you. Additional costs to consider is maybe jumping up to a MPPT charge controller and a larger inverter if you need it and if you want to run the microwave you will probably need a 1500W or so inverter and an extra two batteries. Then I don't think you will make your $1000 dollar cap.

But eliminate the need for some of those larger 110v draws and it is easily done with something as shown above.

Cheers
Old 03-01-2017, 02:47 PM   #16

Solar install around $900

We installed 200w solar on our Jayco Precept. Here are the details - http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...tml#post490404
sjarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:26 PM   #17

I went and built my own solar kit.

I went with 2x 100W Renogy panels and an Epever 30a MPPT controller, also planning to remote stand them.
Along with a pair of 220ah golf cart batteries it should get me through most anything.
For the rare time I want to use A/C i've got a Honda 2500w generator.

Panels and controller ran me about $500 CDN, batteries ~$300
Most everything else I had lying about.

2008 345BHS
Preacher87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:13 PM   #18

If I owned a RV dealership I would certainly have a dept dedicated to selling & installing solar kits. I'm surprised that none of them, especially Camp world, never picked up on this. Damn even the manufacturers such as Thor should implement something like this. Not that it would cost any less I'm sure but it would make it convenient & under warranty protections.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
You can do a lot with a $1000 SOLAR budget. The panels you linked to do not include a SOLAR charge controller, which you will need to buy separately. Here is a link to purchase a Renogy 200 watt kit that includes a charge controller. The battery you are linking to is an AGM, and is NOT a true Deep Cycle battery, but a hybrid battery. True Deep Cycle batteries do not have a CCA or MCA rating 9cranking power. Is there a reason for you selecting an AGM type of battery?... Trojan T-105 (220 Ah, 6 VDC) batteries ($105 - $140 each) will give you a little more Ah's and are more of a True Deep Cycle battery, and they, if properly maintained will outlast (performance wise) a hybrid battery.

Batteries in parallel add amps, batteries in series add voltage.

The big question is, what types of loads will you be putting on your system. Inverter? Size of inverter? Tv? As mentioned in another post,coffee pot, microwave, main heating system, recharging electronics...? How many days will you be without power? Weekends only? Week at a time? Couple weeks at a time? All necessary information to design your SOLAR system.

Not knowing how long your dry-camping sessions will be and thinking that you will be using/charging electronics, microwave and coffee pot, I would recommend 400 watts of SOLAR and (4) T105 batteries.. but you will have to run new wire down from the roof, as the JAYCO pre-wire is not for high Amp setups.

Here is a link to our RVing with SOLAR social group. There is a lot of information regarding batteries, SOLAR information, and members sharing their installation projects.

Don
Don is right on with this in my opinion. I've got the 400w Renogy kit which included controller, all the wiring, and 4-100W panels. They feed 4-6v 215ah golf cart batteries. I have no problem running anything but my AC and my batteries are always minty fresh being constantly trickled by solar. Check your battery water every couple weeks and keep an eye on solar display now and again to make sure all is well. Stick a volt meter on each battery every once and awhile to make sure you don't have one acting wonky.
I can't imagine not having a self sufficient solar powered trailer anymore. I've been spoiled
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote