Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #21

Very informative thanks! We are taking a long road trip and this will come in handy as we have no idea where we will get In our first day
Old 06-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
Here's a great website to help you locate rv friendly truck stops, WM's, etc. http://www.allstays.com/c/wal-mart-locations-map.htm Happy travels
Allstays also has an app for the iPhone which is my #1 go-to when shopping for campgrounds. As I recall it was not free (think it was $10) but I have it on the phone and iPad.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:07 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Allstays also has an app for the iPhone which is my #1 go-to when shopping for campgrounds. As I recall it was not free (think it was $10) but I have it on the phone and iPad.
Also available for Androids

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #24

In my limited experience, I have stayed at Walmarts four or five times. First night ever on the road I stayed at one at the west side of Saskatoon. It was great! When I discovered that I needed something, I just stumbled in and bought it. It was very quiet. The staff member was very polite and just asked me to park "over there" and to not throw anything out.

The best stay was at the little town of Ethelbert, MB. I went to the town office to ask where the campground was. The town foreman was there having coffee. He told me to just park in the parking lot at the rink and even offered to get me hooked up to 110!! I plan on going back there this Fall to finish waymarking graveyards and to study a bit of local history.
kjohn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:47 AM   #25

Just to let you guys in on my experiences ...... AS A TRUCKER.

I avoid truck stops when possible.
Too often I see other trucks that are damaged by drivers who have little skill or none at all.
I tend to park at my shipper/receiver rather than risk my trucks' well being.

If you do park in a TS, try to pick one with plenty of room in the "car lot" and that will let you park there.
I have been hit in a 18 wheeler in the night by someone backing in next to me, and can only imagine what it would be like if I had been in a camper instead.

FWIW..... Love's, Pilot/FlyingJ, & TA/Petro have published guides and Iphone Apps that list locations and amenities FOR FREE.
MedicineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Lockhart View Post
I agree. IF you manage not to lose your truck, trailer, and life falling into one of the many chasms they refer to a "pot holes" in that parking lot. It's like the NW Indiana version of the Grand Canyon out there.

Save yourself. Avoid NW Indiana altogether...
I would but, unfortunately, I live here. :dunno:
"God looks out for the stupid, so I keep Him pretty busy"

2005 Dodge 2500 Diesel in proper Purdue gold and black (the Coally Roller)
2013 Jayco Swift 264BH
Soulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
Just to let you guys in on my experiences ...... AS A TRUCKER.

I avoid truck stops when possible.
Too often I see other trucks that are damaged by drivers who have little skill or none at all.
I tend to park at my shipper/receiver rather than risk my trucks' well being.

If you do park in a TS, try to pick one with plenty of room in the "car lot" and that will let you park there.
I have been hit in a 18 wheeler in the night by someone backing in next to me, and can only imagine what it would be like if I had been in a camper instead.

FWIW..... Love's, Pilot/FlyingJ, & TA/Petro have published guides and Iphone Apps that list locations and amenities FOR FREE.
I would like to second this opinion. I was a driver too and saw many others with no skill backing in next to me. Never again I said. I'd rather sleep in a rest area with a pull through spot. And I had a sticker on my cab door "No Lot Lizards." Didn't always keep them away however! I would never stay in a truck stop with an RV. Look for a Walmart or CG instead.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #28

I've seen just as sketchy a crowd at many a Walmart as I have at truck stops. I will agree though rest stops are much quieter and cleaner from my experience.
232,500 kms in 2013
200,000 kms in 2014
160,000 kms in 2015
greenenvy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #29

We have stayed at rest stops, truck stops, Wal-Mart parting lots, Safeway parking lots, Fred Myer parking lots, Thriftway parking lots all over the western US with no problems. If it is a store I always ask permission first both for where to park and if I am allowed. I have been turned down once or twice in 9 years with our Jayco RVs. Never had problems in rest areas either. Of course I do carry an appropriate pump action "boom stick" just in case we have a problem. That said, we have never had a problem.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #30

Here in Grants Pass we have many TT's park for the night at Walmart but I live here and I wouldnt stay there so I have to assume they are just taking their chances. We have such a high transient population that frequent the Walmart and surrounding businesss. They pan handle to no end and many of them camp in nearby bushes...its been a real community problem and our police force has been greatly reduced like so many others.

We have stayed in a reststop on a few occasions but only due to poor planning on my part or finally giving in to fatigue before I become a hazard to other drivers. Today I would pay to stay someplace safe and secure...my family and myself are not willing to be at risk to save some $$$. IMHO.
Z71 Extended Cab w/Longbed, 5.3 ltr

Coleman Tent, Flagstaff Pop-Up, Jayco Eagle, Flagstaff Pop-Up, RPM Toy Hauler, Jayco White Hawk - Our camping evolution
stjohneyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohn73 View Post
In my limited experience, I have stayed at Walmarts four or five times. First night ever on the road I stayed at one at the west side of Saskatoon. It was great! When I discovered that I needed something, I just stumbled in and bought it. It was very quiet. The staff member was very polite and just asked me to park "over there" and to not throw anything out.

The best stay was at the little town of Ethelbert, MB. I went to the town office to ask where the campground was. The town foreman was there having coffee. He told me to just park in the parking lot at the rink and even offered to get me hooked up to 110!! I plan on going back there this Fall to finish waymarking graveyards and to study a bit of local history.
hey you're talking about my 'hood! Lol. Next time you are on your way to Ethelbert you should plan to stop one night at Russell, MB. They have a FREE campground right in town, complete with electric. Water and dump station are available at the Co-op gas bar next door. We love stopping there as you can do a walking tour of the entire town from there and it is a beautiful little place. If you continue up Hwy 83 you will find that Roblin has a nice little spot on Goose Lake where you have 30A service for only $10/night; and Dauphin now has full service sites in its town campground (which is a beautiful park).
Old 09-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #32

Spent only our 2nd "dry camp" night in a church parking lot in a tiny town on our route. I'd called a few days before and the lady answering the phone checked with the priest and got the okay. Saw an outlet on the side of a building on the grounds and parked next to it. Had power and left the church a 20 the next morning. We weren't looking for a free night but just somewhere to stop on this route that has no RV parks anywhere near where we want to break for the night. This would work on our return and may become a regular stop, with permission.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote