Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #1

Where to place generator

I have never boondocked before and was wondering where you usually place the generator when charging the RV batteries. Do you run the generator close to the RV or place it 20' (or so) away. In othere words, will I make the "neighbors" mad by running my generator "in the camp" as opposed to away from it? BTW, my genny will not be one of those really nice quiet ones.
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #2

Try an old film set genny trick. Make a 4 sided plywood box. Leave room for ventilation/heat.

Insulate with fire resistent insulalation of your choice.

Place one open end of box on ground, put genny in.

Important - point open end of box away from anyone/thing you do NOT want to annoy.

IMHO, anyway.

cheers, Dave.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #3

I tried making one of those boxes-- it turned out heavier then the generator (almost). When we had a Generac we'd run it in the middle of the day when most people were out and about, and when making dinner (as to not drain the batteries). I would make it a point to tell my neighbors that I was sorry about the noise and that I'd get it turned off ASAP. We've had a Honda EU2000 for about 8 years now and I can run that thing when ever I need to. Best money I've spent in a long time.
Either, way keep it locked up I had ours walk off right under our noses.

I either lock mine up to my truck's hitch or the back of the trailer. Lately I've been locking it up inside the bed of my truck.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
BTW, my genny will not be one of those really nice quiet ones.
Then it doesn't matter where you place it, 20' will make no difference. I'll bet it won't be long before you are watching Craigslist for a used Honda or Yamaha.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #5

Update on my OP: Thanks to all for the follow up posts. Since my op, I purchased a reconditioned Champion 2000 watt inverter generator. I swear it runs as quiet as the more expensive H or Y gennies. So you can now count me as an "experienced" boondocker. But wait! My first boondocking experience was great. Started gennie right up and I was as proud as any H or Y generator owner. Next boondocking experienced while listening to my beloved Cardinals on XM, the gennie suddenly stopped running. NO! I said, "this cannot happen. I have two more boondocking experiences yet to come in this two month long trip!" The next night while all the other H and Y generators are running nice and quietly, my piece of (deleted) is sitting in the bed of my truck. Numerous calls to the helpless help-line and to make a long story short, it's on the way back to the reconditioning "factory?" PLEASE don't say that I should have bought a H or Y generator. You'll only make me feel worse than I already do. This story will continue when I get "the piece of"...sorry, generator back.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #6

We wanted to go quiet while camping so I purchased a Yamaha EF2400ishc but our B&S 5500 watt has 100 hours on it and still running strong.

As far as generator placement, our county campgrounds require that the generator be in front of or on the entrance side of the trailer. No matter how quiet the generator your runtimes are 9:00am ~ 1:00pm and 5:00pm ~ 9:00pm.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #7

Try a Supergen Tent. It is a canopy/shroud type of kit that is both collapseable and has sound deadening boards implemented into the unit.

http://supergenproducts.com/shop/supergen-tent/
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Update on my OP: Thanks to all for the follow up posts. Since my op, I purchased a reconditioned Champion 2000 watt inverter generator. I swear it runs as quiet as the more expensive H or Y gennies. So you can now count me as an "experienced" boondocker. But wait! My first boondocking experience was great. Started gennie right up and I was as proud as any H or Y generator owner. Next boondocking experienced while listening to my beloved Cardinals on XM, the gennie suddenly stopped running. NO! I said, "this cannot happen. I have two more boondocking experiences yet to come in this two month long trip!" The next night while all the other H and Y generators are running nice and quietly, my piece of (deleted) is sitting in the bed of my truck. Numerous calls to the helpless help-line and to make a long story short, it's on the way back to the reconditioning "factory?" PLEASE don't say that I should have bought a H or Y generator. You'll only make me feel worse than I already do. This story will continue when I get "the piece of"...sorry, generator back.
now i know this is an old thread but i wanted to add something about the champions cause the same thing happened to me on my first use
when they are breaking in they consume oil so when it gets low it shuts off, to get it going again all you needed to do was add some 10w 30 and you should have been back in business, now i dont know what yours was like i did buy mine brand new, but dont let that deter you from the brand, they are surprisingly quiet and run everything in my 26bh no problem
2006 Ford F150 5.4, (SOLD Oct 2014)
2014 Jayco Jayflight 26BH (SOLD Feb 2014)
carey965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Your problem was you bought a reconditioned one. I learned a long time ago to never ever do that.. and when you can buy a new Champion (quiet model)at Costco for under $600.00 why take the chance? I have a construction grade one that I mainly have in case of power outages at home but carry it just in case of poor solar week and have only used it twice in the last 2 years. It always starts and works well.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote