Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-20-2015, 10:01 AM   #1
12 Volt Pump Ideas for Adding Fresh Water

Ok we dry camped weekend before last at an Auction where we had no water access and we ran low. I learned I need to take some sort of fresh water jug where I can add water to my fresh water holding tank. Do you guys use some sort of pump to add water to your holding tanks from a jug sitting on the ground? I only have a 15 gallon fresh water tank. Just looking for some ideas. I have another 15 gallon fresh water tank I removed from an old pop up camper I had I was thinking about maybe mounting it under the bed but wasn't sure how I'd move the water from it also. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

silverta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:22 AM   #2
It's not what you want, but I'm using a Simer 2825SS Portable Utility Transfer Pump. I selected this one because it is designed for potable water. Many pumps are not. It operates off of AC power, which means I need shore power or my generator, but it works well. And given its power I can move water long distances, say from a creek or river.

Todd Klassy
Todd Klassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:40 PM   #3
Check Amazon. They have lots of 12volt pumps for transferring liquids.
Randy, Karen & Abby (Pom-a-Poo)
2014 Eagle HT 27.5RLTS
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:55 PM   #4
You could modify your existing pump to do this for you by using a winterization valve and running a hose to your fill tank or draw from the second. Still you might need to add more than the 30 at any time and that leaves you having to pump or fill.

5 gallon jerry cans work well for that size tank.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:26 PM   #5
Not sure what you have for a trailer. But it sounds doable. You could probably set it up so you can run off of one tank or the other instead of transferring the water. I think filling the secondary tank while inside the trailer would be the hardest part of the job.

At the pump, there is a valve for winterizing the trailer. Add a second tee and valve in that line, plumb that line to the secondary tank. But how to fill that tank?? That could be messy, you really need an overflow. I would bore a hole in the floor for the over flow line. To fill the tank, you could add a Tee and a valve in the main water line, and plumb it to the secondary tank. Then while inside the unit, while connected to city water (you could pump out of the main tank), you open the valve and manual monitor the tank, close the valve when the tank is full. This way you are not bringing the hose into the trailer to fill the tank.

What do you have for a TV? If it is a Pickup truck, you could put the tank in the truck’s bed when needed, and use a transfer pump to fill the FW tank. This would probably be my preferred method. This way you can make a water run any time. You can travel with or without it, saving weight and space.

If you have a few 5 gallon water jugs you can pour them in the gravity well, to fill the FW tank, but it is a bit messy at times. That is what I do, but I often get my feet wet. You could make a small modification to the outside shower to make the transfer. Replace the shower head, and add a hose fitting, so you can run a line from the shower to the gravity fill. Then bring in the portable water tank into the trailer, and put the winterizing tube in the jug, turn the valves to the winterizing mode and pump away. Just remember to have the shower’s cold water valve open, to complete the transfer.

Good luck, if you mount the tank in the trailer, show us a few pictures and describe how you make the transfer.

Best of Luck.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:41 PM   #6
I have used a 5 gallon water jug in the past. I just sit it on the picnic table and siphon it into the fw tank on the trailer.
Gravity is pretty reliable. No pumps to breakdown!
2014 Jayco Swift 281BHS
2015 F250 XLT 4x4 Crew Cab, Short box, 6.2 gas
Solar powered! The trailer not the truck!
Subaru297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:52 PM   #7
PPL motorhomes (and Amazon) sell 12v fresh water pumps by Surflo and WFCO. You could pick up a $50 pump, run some leads to a battery to use as a transfer pump.
2013 26BH ghetto model w/ 4 plain rims and some rust
2001 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 gasser

I have a fever...and the only cure is more camping!
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:52 PM   #8
We have our camper sitting on our own land and for 12 years we have gotten water from home and brought it up in 7 gallons jugs, and then I would pour the jugs into a big cooler and put a sump pump in the cooler with a short hose attached to it and I can pump 35 gallons of water into our old camper in about 5 minutes, slick as it gets when you don't have a water source.
2013 Gmc Denali Hd 6.2 403hp
2014 Eagle 334 RBTS loaded
fastercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:22 PM   #9
You could put the extra water tank in the bed of your truck and just use the old-fashioned siphoning procedure. As long as the trailer tank is below the one in your truck bed (which it should be), that will work fine - at no extra cost. A small pump (Harbor Freight) operated by a cordless drill would be a little faster - and very little cost.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:21 PM   #10
Site Team
Some rigs are configured to do that. It is called "country fill" on the utility panel. Not sure which rig you have.

2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote