Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #1

2 seater kayak - what do you recommend??

This spring, I will purchase (new or used) a 2 seater Kayak for our summer camp site. My disabled son goes in the front and I'm in the rear seat. Mostly flat lake adventures but due to ski-jet and boat wakes (from speeders) on the lake, there will be some waves. Thus, high safety in a less tippy kayak haul design is a criteria as well. Also need dry wall - for our cell phone, snacks and meds.

If wondering, we have a 15.5 ft 3 seater canoe. Him, our dog and me (paddling). Just looking for something that is different (and less tippy) - when our dog doesn't come with us.

With this in mind, what "sit down inside" 2 Seater Kayak do you recommend?

thanks.

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:08 PM   #2

If your son is disabled I'd suggest a sit on top yak, for safety reasons. I've been yaking all my life, in all kinds of yaks. We currently have 4 yaks, all sit on tops, the one I like best is the Cobra Fish'N'Dive-- it is a two seater and will even carry a dog.

I do mostly ocean touring, padded to Catalina a time or two. I think there a misconception that sit on tops are not stable. All the Cobra yaks I have are so stable that I stand in/on them. It takes alot of effort to dump one-- unless you get sideways on a wave (at which point it doesn't matter if your in a sit on top or a sit in-- your going over.) They have dry compartments for all your stuff that goes the length of the haul, but either way you'll want to get some dry bags (rubber stuff sacks). There is even a lunch box between your legs.

I'd suggest you rent some different yaks and see which one fits your style.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:23 PM   #3

Thanks JPBeck

If wondering, we already have a single "sit down inside" kayak and a single "sit ontop" kayak. To see our current 3 boat fleet, surf:

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...-Trailer-1.jpg

I find our single "sit down inside" Kayak can handle the wake waves much better. But when it rolls, it rolls. One has to taxi it to shore - before getting back into it. Our sit on top kayak is unsinkable but its a little more tippy against a wake side wave. But when rolled, a strong person can crawl back on top of it. Belly first, then rotate / twist to get back into its sitting position. When it rolls, majority of riders must taxi it to shore as well. Only the strong and coordinated can re-mount this boat.

For our short 4 hour lake tours, I'm currently in the "sit down inside" Kayak (for stronger power stokes) and I pull my disabled son on a rubber dingy - ropped to my "kayak's rear. We rented a 2 seater "sit down inside" kayak for 4 hours last summer and limmediately loved it. With him in the front (of a 2 seater Kayak), I can see his body movements and when needed, immediately counter weight my own body. Thus, being much more stable then our single kayaks. And, much more stable then our red canoe (even with our dog laying on its floor - for more lower gravity couter weight). We only take our Canoe out when our dog wants to come along. Or, when touring for 5+ hours - like during our "around the lake" adventures... Our canoe works ok for 2 people but we're looking for something better. re: In search of a 2-seater kayak.

The more I research, the more I like the reviews of "double seater" with steering rudder of the Manitou II model. Seems to be a good design for small rider in the front and a normal adult size in its rear. re: http://jenda.com/store/product/84/Ma...Rudder-Yellow/

Thanks.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:54 PM   #4

I like that yak trailer! You should check out my "Ladder Yak Rack" in the mod section. That Necky looks like a nice boat-- and they make a good product. I'd just really hate for you to dump it and not be able to get your son back in it. Getting back on a sit on top takes practice but my 4 year old can do it now after about only an hour of practice.

As to the rudder-- all the rudder does is help you go straight-- I have one on my Touring yak and to be honest I paddled about 48 miles one day to an island off the coast here with out it-- I forgot to put it in the water. I didnt miss it at all. I guess my point is that if a yak is designed well you wont "need" a rudder.

There are alot of cool yaks on the market these days. Good luck and have fun shopping.

Food for thought.
http://www.cobrakayaks.com/kayaks/cobracat4.html

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #5

Spike, we currently have the shorter "individual" Pelican Kayaks. We are comfortable with the sit-in's and prefer them only because we can kayak in cooler weather without getting wet. No matter how careful we were, we still got wet with the sit-on-top/ocean kayak (I tend to get cold easily when wet).

We recently rented a 15'(it may have been 16') sit-in double that we *really* liked. It was sleaker and due to it's longer length went faster with less effort then our shorter singles. The steering rudder was sweet! We were a little awkward at first in the double, but stayed in shallow water til we got the hang of it. Muscle memory finally kicked in and we were able to paddle with out the extreme newbie side-to-side motion. We have a little 8pound Jack Chi. Breezi goes kayaking with us and sits in a little basket on the front of my kayak. When we took the double kayak, there was room in seating compartment for her.

Something to consider when researching the doubles though... we were told that some doubles can go with a single rider, and others not (?); I really have no experience and no clue. If that is the case, is your son able to paddle with you? If not, you could check to see if your double would serve as a single too.

Also, when you find the one you like, check with Costco online as this is the time of year when they start selling the doubles.

We want to take our kayaks with us on our spring trip. We haven't yet got a "roof rack" for our p/u though. Anyhow, how cool to go kayaking! Let us know what you wind up finding out and what you finally get
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #6

Hi healthi.

I agree. If getting a double seat kayak, I've read many times that a rear steering rudder is mandatory. If the kayak even pulls to the slight right or slight left, the rudder in a fixed postion will correct its natural tracking. And, the rudder is better for cross wind conditions as well. For our future double seater kayak, it will have a rear rudder (even if only used in a fixed position).

IMO, single kayaks under 10 ft long are good for a person under 180 lbs - like my wife & daughter. If over 180 lbs (like my body), the 12+ ft long singles are much better. If wondering, my special son doesn't paddle. Thus, I'll paddle for him. A rear rudder will help keep the boat tracking straighter as well. He'll be riding in the front cokpitt - doing fish spotting and other navigation duties. Kids love doing these tasks....

Thanks for your feedback as well....

Old 02-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #7

Pamilco by Wilderness systems

They have 3 different versions (13.5 14.5 & 16 Lengths), the longer it is the faster it is. It's a very stable recreational kayak, and Wilderness systems makes a great product. Pamlicos have an open ****pit, so you don't have that enclosed feeling, but you do have some protection from waves, etc... Where it's a recreational boat, it is also very stable. It is also available with a rudder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike99 View Post

This spring, I will purchase (new or used) a 2 seater Kayak for our summer camp site. My disabled son goes in the front and I'm in the rear seat. Mostly flat lake adventures but due to ski-jet and boat wakes (from speeders) on the lake, there will be some waves. Thus, high safety in a less tippy kayak haul design is a criteria as well. Also need dry wall - for our cell phone, snacks and meds.

If wondering, we have a 15.5 ft 3 seater canoe. Him, our dog and me (paddling). Just looking for something that is different (and less tippy) - when our dog doesn't come with us.

With this in mind, what "sit down inside" 2 Seater Kayak do you recommend?

thanks.

MisterUg is offline   Reply With Quote