Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2017, 10:28 AM   #1

2012 Jayco j flight burning smell

Hi, I have a 28BHS that seems to have a smell of burning electronics coming from the PD4045. I did the troubleshooting that progressive dynamics suggested and it all looks good. Everything in the camper (lights and outlets) works even the air. I pulled out the converter that takes the 120 to 12 and charges the battery but I am still getting the smell on 12V only. I also checked all the wires I could see and make sure they were tight. Has anyone had this issue and or have any ideas what to check?
Thanks
clsellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:42 AM   #2

Normally, if something is burning it is because of some type of short, loose connection, insulation that the chaffed, etc.
There is a also usually an increase in amperage because of the short. I would first disconnect 120VAC and see if the smell goes away. If so, then put an amp meter (clamp on DC is best) on the 12V line from the battery, turn everything off, then measure the current. Most trailers, including mine, read about 0.5 amps with everything turned off. Then start turning things on and see if anything stands out as an unexpectedly high current draw.
You can do the same kind of troubleshooting with the 120V AC power buy clamping on an AC amp meter and turning on the breakers 1 by 1.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:50 AM   #3

After all that...

Many wire connections in the trailer use the cheap splice automotive connectors. These can be faulty and cut wires meaning more resistance and heat. If you can, find the smell and then feel the wires to see if any are hot around those junctions.

The testing above will help with which circuit it is. Trace that circuit wiring and see if you can find the issue.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote