Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #1

Post 2013 TSBH Bearing failure..what do you think?

I recently returned from a 4400 mile round trip from Northern ON, thru the United States, back up into BC and home to Northern ON. We had two families travelling together staying in the same trailer (4 kids, 4 adults & TV, trailer and a SUV). While coming down from Whistler BC into Vancouver on Highway 1 I was alerted by a passing motorist that my PS rear trailer tire was on fire. I managed to get stopped. By this time there was no fire but there was plenty of smoke and heat. We managed to find place large enough off the highway to park and assess what to do. Called Jayco roadside (coach-net) and they sent a tow truck. This guy was unable to help us. Called Jayco again now they are sending a larger tow truck but it is 3-4 hours away. It is now 6pm. Tow company arrives @ 9:30pm and advises its gonna be another 2-2.5 hours to get us to the Jayco dealer 26 miles away. (had to chain up axle and pull on one tire as inner bearing had failed and ruined the axle)
At this point we had no choice but to send the wives and kids to a hotel as we would not be getting to dealership till after midnight.
1 am rolls around and we finally make it to the Jayco dealership without breaking anything else. Left a note on the door with my cell number to call asap in am. The wives had found a Hotel just up the road from the dealership so we locked up the trailer and headed to hotel.
8am cell rings. It's the dealership advising they are waiting for warranty approval from Jayco and Dexter before they can bring trailer into shop. Looks as though they'll have to replace the entire axle as bearing melted itself to the axle. Dealer advises they'll have to take the axle off and take it to machine shop down the road to have a new one made.....They could hopefully have it made this afternoon....After a few calls to the dealer to make sure things were progressing they recieved the axle back but would not have time to put it back together today. We now have to stay in hotel again as trailer is locked in compound and in pieces. Service dept advises it should be ready for 10am next day. (Day 3)
Pull into dealer at 10am and it appears trailer is ready to go. Notice mountain bike on bike rack is bent....it had been backed into fence while moving it around dealer lot. They scooted out and got me some new handlebars...good enough.

So my problem is we all lost 3 days of our holidays and it cost us $450 for two hotel rooms for two nights(8 ppl). I was told by my dealer to call coach-net for re-imbursement. Coach-net informs me that I'm only covered if I was involved in a collision! Dealer then advises Jayco will not cover it either? I'm not feeling very happy about this whole "Jayco family experience". I traded in our old trailer so this type of thing (bearing failure hassle) would not happen in the first place! I'm actually kinda nervous to take this trailer out again. Whats gonna happen next time?
I'm feeling that I shouldn't get jammed with the hotel bill!
Thoughts.....?

Keep in mind this trailer only had 2500 miles on it when the bearing failed. This was our first trip. Built March 19 2013. Also had a hot water line for the outdoor kitchen burst but I was able to fix at the campsite... Other wise trailer was great! Love it.
Air lift 5000 Air bags, 3.73 gears
2013 Jayco 32TSBH - Elite, Thermal, Outdoor kitchen :)
Lycheers LED colour awning lights :)
14Ft Naden D\W 15hp Evinrude
NrthrnCmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #2

My insurance covers such things as motels etc if something like this happens on vacation. Might want to look into that. At least thats what they tell me.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #3

I feel for you and happy a huge fire didn't errupt.

I would certanly looking into you insurance policy for help...I know my RV policy covers these types of expenses. I have a seperate stand alone RV policy, not a rider on my car policy exactly for this reason and "vacation liabilty" coverage. I guess I would be surprised if Jayco did pay those expenses for you, sure would be nice if they did, but personally I wouldn't expect it. Almost like me asking for fuel reimbusement to take my TT the 300 miles round trip to my dealer for warranty work.

Look at the bright side --- you seem to have come across a dealer, who you clearly didn't purchase from, go above and beyond to get you back on the road as quick as possible. If I follow you time line correctly they got everything torn down, fabricated, and rebuilt in 1 1/2 days.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #4

The dealer in Langley BC did a good job and I believe they fixed it as quick as they could. I'm hoping my dealer here will maybe go good for the hotel... we'll see. Maybe even an in store credit...
Old 07-27-2013, 05:44 AM   #5

Wow, what an adventure! It sounds like you and the dealership handled the situation well. That sounds like
some dealership!

My separate policy also has trip coverages but I'd keep applying pressure to Jayco. I feel it is really their responsibilityc Maybe you should tell them you are going to send a letter to one ot the trailer magazine intervention columnist.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #6

First, I really feel for you on this experience. However, consider that Jayco did not manufacture the axle - Dexter did. That said, Dexter relied on the bearing manufacturer to supply good bearings. Possible that Dexter improperly installed this one, but no one will ever know for sure. So the fault is either the bearing manufacturer or Dexter - not Jayco. If you will read the Jayco warranty, it specifically says that Jayco only warrants the things, like the trailer itself, that they manufacture. All other items, such as fridge, A/C, generator, stove, axles, etc, made by other manufacturers, have their own warranties. Also consider that your car has a warranty, but it doesn't cover any hotel bills caused by a breakdown on the road either - only the repair parts and labor. I personally feel that you had a bad experience on the road, but you also had a good experience with the dealer and others trying to get you back on that road as soon as possible. If I were in your shoes, I would consider myself fortunate to have the service I received, and just eat the hotel bill as part of my vacation. JMHO
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #7

I have to agree with others here, glad to see that your trailer was repaired in timely order and covered including two tow trucks before you were finally at the repair shop, however, I know you were out some money for lodging that you were not expecting, but I can't see Jayco, Dexter, the Dealer, or the repair shop covering that expense... it's just one of those things that sometimes happens, it's the cost of vacationing so to say...

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #8

X2 ^. Unfortunatly that's the typical experience if a "on-road" failure of such expecially late in the evening. Don't expect any reinbursment from Jayco or Dexter.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #9

*Update* I recieved a call back from my dealer. They are willing to give me a $250 store credit to cover half of the hotel bill. I'm happy with that. Thanks for everyones input!
Old 08-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #10

I would be happy with that. Most dealers would tell you to go pound sand in a nice way.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:58 AM   #11

Score!
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:09 AM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
What's the dealers name and location again? They deserve a kudos in this thread.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #13

It is Smiths RV Center here in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada. Dealer that repaired the trailer in Langley BC was Travel Land RV Center on the Langley Bypass. Thank you for everyones input!