Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-09-2017, 05:57 PM   #1

2017 32BHTS Heater Issue

Let me start out by saying I think I caused this problem, but I cannot for the life of me figure it out. I pulled the Coleman Mach thermostat off of the wall to see what wires there were (wanting to get a nicer thermostat, but that is for another day). Later that evening or the next, I noticed that when the heater would come on the TV would flicker; almost like it was getting to the point of the power being cut to it momentarily. After that, the heater would no longer come on.

I pulled the thermostat off again and after tinkering with it I found that the little fuse was popped. Sent the wife into town (I work evenings from the trailer), and after several trips and being unable to find it, she bought a Honeywell programmable thermostat because I had read on a forum that this would work with our system. As soon as I wired it up (and moved the switch from electric to gas), it fired up and we were warm again. Slowly I started noticing that the heater wouldn't come on, and I had to reset the thermostat to get it to work.

Has anyone dealt with something like this before? I've checked all of the wiring in the wall and it looks good, and the fact that the heater will work after resetting the thermostat seems to point to an issue with the T-Stat and not the wiring. Perhaps there is some kind of breaker in the thermostat that keeps tripping and pulling the batteries resets that as well? I am open to any suggestions at this point, thanks!

Sean
seanperryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:02 PM   #2

I went to Walmart last night and purchase a Honeywell RTH111B (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Honeywell...ostat/22002683) and the heater seems to be functioning like normal, but I am still getting that power brownout issue when the TV is on.

Going to give it a couple of days to see if it deteriorates like the other Honeywell I bought.
seanperryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:27 PM   #3

Your heater runs on the 12 volt system and TV is on 120 volt system so I would check battery fuse and batteries. You may be running lights and heaters on the converter only and the start up draw could cause this.
merlinhomeauto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coleman mach, heater, thermostat