Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-20-2013, 08:27 AM   #1

26RLS vs. 27DRLS

So my parents are looking to upgrade from their x17z and are basically torn between the 26RLS and the 27DSRL. Our dealer stocks their TT's with basically every possible option.

The 26RLS comes with the TV, aluminum rims, customer value package, electric tongue jack, 15,000 BTU AC, power awning, thermal package, outdoor grill, sliding rear cargo/bike carrier, wood panel 8 cu ft fridge, pillowtop matttress, and the roof ladder. It's every possible option with the exception of the electric stab jacks. They said Jayco had problems with the power stab jacks in the spring so they stopped ordering them, but since then Jayco has switched manufacturers so the power stab jacks are better. This is the only feature this TT doesn't have. It also has the pleather furniture.

Things my parents didn't like were no outdoor fridge, no lights in the front storage and the TV placement. The TV kind of seems like it sticks out ever so slightly and you feel as if you might bang into it as you walk down the hall. They prefer fiberglass to aluminum siding.

They liked having side windows in the slideout, they liked the the ability to open the windows on either side of the rear chairs, they liked the large booth with the extendable seats, the interior height, rear roof vent, porcelain toilet, additional storage cabinet in the bedroom and usable nightstands in the bedroom.

Next up is the 27DSRL. This again has every possible option including the TV, aluminum rims, customer value package with 15,000BTU AC, power stab jacks, electric tongue jack, glacier package, outside grill, power awning and roof ladder.

My parents like the outside fridge and lit storage area, the reduced weight, the larger dinette window, increased counter space, larger bathroom and shower and the fiberglass exterior.

They don't like the pass through bath as much, especially the shower door entrance. You have to tuck yourself into the corner just to open the shower door. The dinette is much smaller and you can't open the windows by the rear chairs. There are also no side windows on the slide. Also, the fabric on the model they have is hideous. No offense to anyone that likes it. It's the amaretto scheme and the brown couch has red trim. None of us liked it. Sure, we could order a different fabric but we wonder if that would lead to an increased cost since we are not buying one off the lot. He said it could take about 3 months to get it in so there's no rush for us since it's still January and most likely my parents would make a purchase this week.

Am I missing anything between the two units? Which would you choose and why? Both of these units are huge upgrades from the 17z which they currently have.

In the end it's ultimately my parents choice, but I'd like some feedback from you guys. It's too bad that Jayco doesn't make the 26RLS in a fiberglass exterior. That would be exactly what my parents would purchase if it existed.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #2

26RLS vs. 27DSBH

Both sound nice. I always trust my gut on decisions like that, it usually doesn't let me down. We factory ordered our 228 and it did not cost any more money than the units they had on the lot. Unless they are discounting the in stock units?

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:29 AM   #3

My wife and I looked at the same two models as your parents. Ultimately, my wife made the decision to go with the 26RLS.
The reasons were that she did not like having to walk through the bathroom to get to the bedroom. The 26 has more windows, which means more light and ventalation. My wife prefers having windows open when the weather permits, so that's a biggie to her. Also, I prefer aluminum over fiberglass for reasons I will not go into on here in respect to everyone's personal choice. Finally, the TV in the 26 swivels so that it can be turned to the side to allow more walking space in the hall.
Either model will make your parents happy. I wasn't that enthralled with the outside kitchen as I use a wood fire or Dutch oven to do most of our cooking outside. My neighbor had a Class A with the outside kitchen and told me he seldom uses it. To each their own I guess. Good luck on your final decision. We love our 26 RLS.
1 Wife
....and empty pockets
nitrohorse is offline   Reply With Quote