Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #21

I like Greg's explanation...
When I first started using computers I didn't really understand Ram vrs hard drive etc.
Then someone told me that the Hard drive was like a big storage closet to keep my computer stuff in and the "ram" was a cleaning lady who ran around and did all the tasks for me. More ram=more cleaning ladies! I have been a techy ever since.

Anyway.. I went and bought a 30-50 amp adaptor simply for the reason that if we ever pull into a site and the 30 is broken.. I have options. This has actually happened to us a few times where the connection is really loose and the plug keeps falling out...
I just need to know if it will work for my RV.. I am going to take it that yes it will work.
Is it 25 amps or 30??? Oh well.. as long as I have power.

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #22

Don't get confused with 120v feeds and 120/240v feeds. If you are plugging a 120volt 30amp cord with an adapter into a 120/240v 50 amp feed be sure you are using a proper adapter. The adapter will change the wiring so you can safely use it but remember the cord is rated at 30 a if you have a 30a service plugging into a 50a feed.

How many pins and what configuration of plug do you have? I'm guessing you plug into a 50amp 120volt feed configuration NEMA 5-50R? IF you have a plug config like Nema 14-50r then your service is 120/240v and once again not to be confused with a 50a, 120v service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
Here's a good explanation of the RV electrical service on the left side you can click on the 50-amp link and it will describe the 50A service which is included in the 50A.

I needed to check my converter anyway and took this picture:

What we're looking at is a 50A RV service. Note the 2 50A breakers tied together one fed by the black hot line and one from the red hot line. While I can not speak for all RV's my 5th utilizes both hot feeds from a 50A service giving an effective 100A or more properly 50A and 50A.

2011 Ford F150 S/Crew Ecoboost HD
2012 Jayco 33RLDS
2013 Four winns h180 ss
RaveOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveOn View Post
How many pins and what configuration of plug do you have? I'm guessing you plug into a 50amp 120volt feed configuration NEMA 5-50R?
No, it's a NEMA 14-50R 120/240 50A standard service.

nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #24

Roger that! so you have a 120/240 volt, 50amp service and not a 50a 120v. There is a difference...lol.

Quote:
No, it's a NEMA 14-50R 120/240 50A standard service.

2012 Jayco 33RLDS
2013 Four winns h180 ss
Old 05-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #25

Yes and to sum it up and back to the topic. In an RV equipped with 50A service, your maximum coach load is 100A (50A on one leg and 50A on the other) this is why a 50A RV can run 2 A/C's, microwave, hot water heater, blow dryer..... all without tripping the main breaker (individual breakers are a different story).

Back to the topic. When you use the adapter you are at risk (however low) that you can "potentially" overload the 30A electrical cord. The adapter will draw from one leg of the 50A box, which is protected by a 50A breaker. Because of this and to RaveOn's point, it is against electrical code to have that combination. In theory you could have a short in the 30A cord where the cord could overheat and catch fire before tripping the 50A breaker.

If the 30A receptacle is inoperative (or no 30A at all), and you have 50A and the adapter then I would use it but 50A service is is 50A per leg.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:39 AM   #26

Your explanation is a lot easier to follow than mine lolol. Keep in mind however that you have 50 a on 2 phases only when supplying your 120v loads. If you have any 240 volt loads ( I doubt there is in an Rv) then the total amperage for any 240 volt load will be 50 amps and not 100amps.

Cheers and have a great day!

Quote:
Yes and to sum it up and back to the topic. In an RV equipped with 50A service, your maximum coach load is 100A (50A on one leg and 50A on the other) this is why a 50A RV can run 2 A/C's, microwave, hot water heater, blow dryer..... all without tripping the main breaker (individual breakers are a different story).

Back to the topic. When you use the adapter you are at risk (however low) that you can "potentially" overload the 30A electrical cord. The adapter will draw from one leg of the 50A box, which is protected by a 50A breaker. Because of this and to RaveOn's point, it is against electrical code to have that combination. In theory you could have a short in the 30A cord where the cord could overheat and catch fire before tripping the 50A breaker.

If the 30A receptacle is inoperative (or no 30A at all), and you have 50A and the adapter then I would use it but 50A service is is 50A per leg.

2012 Jayco 33RLDS
2013 Four winns h180 ss
Old 05-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #27

Oh my Goodness!! I opened up a big can of amp worms here!!!!!

I am like LadyGwen......will this thing work if the 30 amp post is not working.

Thank you for all the responses.....technical and difficult to understand, but I do appreciate the threads.

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywendolyn View Post
I like Greg's explanation...
When I first started using computers I didn't really understand Ram vrs hard drive etc.
Then someone told me that the Hard drive was like a big storage closet to keep my computer stuff in and the "ram" was a cleaning lady who ran around and did all the tasks for me. More ram=more cleaning ladies! I have been a techy ever since.

Anyway.. I went and bought a 30-50 amp adaptor simply for the reason that if we ever pull into a site and the 30 is broken.. I have options. This has actually happened to us a few times where the connection is really loose and the plug keeps falling out...
I just need to know if it will work for my RV.. I am going to take it that yes it will work.
Is it 25 amps or 30??? Oh well.. as long as I have power.
lol, I like the way you think!!! More Ram = more cleaning ladies!!

I bought the 30 - 50 amp adaptor for the exact same reason you did. I just wanted to know if this is doable if the 30 amp is not working.
Whew, the pictures, voltages, converters, etc.......hurts my head. lol

Kathie

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #29

It will work........

Cheers and have a good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Target View Post
Oh my Goodness!! I opened up a big can of amp worms here!!!!!

I am like LadyGwen......will this thing work if the 30 amp post is not working.

Thank you for all the responses.....technical and difficult to understand, but I do appreciate the threads.

2012 Jayco 33RLDS
2013 Four winns h180 ss
Old 05-24-2012, 11:54 PM   #30

I will also agree with a previous post about the "quality" of the typical 50A vs 30A connection.

In my feeble opinion, the 30 prongs on most RV's seem too thin and too short, thus causing issues over time due to poor connections. The 50A stuff seems to seat further into the female connection, and the 4th leg, whether powered (hot) or not, seems to help stabilize, seal, and keep the connector seated a tad better.

Simple science here...I have had to replace a few cord "ends" due to overheating, corrosion, arc damage, etc and it always seems to be 30A three prong stuff...rarely and issue on 50A four prong stuff. Simply tells me the 50A stuff is more durable and less prone to wear n tear.

My entire post here is ONLY in reference to the physical copper to copper connection and nothing to due with what either end is plugged into.

No can of worms opened here...any and all electrical knowledge is good when your talking about anything that can kill you, or destroy your RV, if its not all singing in somewhat harmony!

Greg
The old- 2001 Jayco Qwest
The new- 2018 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2018 F-150 Ecoboost
vwprostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:48 AM   #31

To me the game plan is to use the best side that has the best 120VAC reading on my AC monitor inside. Sometimes because of a lot of users the 30A side start getting low in reading. I will check the 50AMP side if it is there and see what that AC voltage looks like. If the AC voltage is better I may use the 50AMP side through a 50-30A adapter for awhile.

Alot of places only has the 30A service only.

I do the same thing with the 20AMP service. Most sites always has a 20A receptacle right beside the 30A receptacle and all of my outuse use of things around the picnic table and under the awning I always plug an extension cord into the 20AMP service and use it.

This is very useful to us when we are running an oil filled electric heater inside the trailer on those cool evenings. Much better to run the sites electric then run our propane tanks for the loud furnace. On my POPUP and small TTs is is easy to run the extension inside the going thru the window flaps of the POPUP or thru the pass-thru storage area on the bigger trailers.

To me having all of the various adapters on hand just makes good sense. My so called RV TOOL BOX has all sorts of PLAN-B items in it. You never what the situation is going to be at any given time and nothing worse than having resources available to you use when things happen and dont have the right adapter on hand.

Use what works best for you... I cant count the number of times my 50-foot 10-gauge (10-3) extension cord and a RV30A-15A 18-inch long adapter has saved my camping day or my neighbors camping day when the shore power pedstal receptacle is wore out and the site hasnt got a place to move you to. 20AMPS is better than nothing....
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote